Practicing soldering for my DIY electric skateboard build, how does it look?

Might as well just tie the two wires in a knot instead.

2 Likes

Itā€™s decent for the second try, still gotta keep practicing tho.

1 Like

get some nice solder is 80%.
the solder that comes with those ā€žkitsā€œ is often really bad quality. Back in the days I couldnt believe how much of a difference that made

1 Like

Iā€™m using the solder that came with the iron as practice but I got actual rosin core solder, I didnā€™t want to use up the rosin core so Iā€™m just using the other as practice

A roll of rosin core lasts forever donā€™t waste your time with the garbage. Also 500c means nothing if the soldering iron takes 40min to heat up which means it will lose its energy fast too. What model is it? Not that heat looks like your issue. Have looked at some youtube videos doing clean joints?

Looks like you are overheating everything judging by the melted insulation, soldering to those connectors should take like 5sec at most for the most stubborn crusty solder.

It will never look nice wihout flux or rosin core solder. You will learn nothing with crap solder.

5 Likes

If itā€™s within your budget, a soldering pot is quite useful for tinning wires and XT 60/90 connectors. Amazon has one for $30. If you get one, using it to tin an 8 or 10 awg wire will probably push the limits of your solder gun which is a learning curve in itself. But otherwise, itā€™s pretty handy if you expect to solder frequently.

1 Like

This is the soldering iron I got. Main thing Iā€™m struggling with is getting the wire to stay in the cup as Iā€™m soldering, sense I donā€™t got whatever most people have, was thinking about using pliers or just getting help by someone soldering it.

*since

Yeah the soldering iron doesnā€™t look bad, its tricky getting the connectors to stay put while soldering them. Use the rosin core though it cleans off oxidation that makes it tough to solder to.

1 Like

Use a wodden peg.

Will do, thanks for the tip

For the connector or wire?

To hold the wire in place if you donā€™t have a plier.

Solder and a clean tip is honestly 90% of what you need.

1 Like

Iā€™m using a cheap iron for my build also. recently purchased some decent solder tips which helps a lot as the stock ones donā€™t tin after 1 use

This is the best tool I have ever used for soldering.

Spending money on decent solder is the best decision I ever made in soldering. It makes everything so much easier. Also get a good iron with a nice wide tip for heat transfer. I use the Sq-001. This solder is a blessing from god. Solder 60/40 .062 DIA. 1LB SPOOL (1) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005T74XSY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_8Q3VACASBW8Q7Y3RN9CB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

100%

1 Like

Update! Took in your guys advice with using rosin core solder, the wire turned out amazing, so did the connector, only managed to do it twice before I started getting frustrated because I couldnā€™t hold the wire and solder it to the connector at the same time

7 Likes

For not having ā€œhelping handsā€ thatā€™s a pretty good joint. Much better than before, for sure, good job

4 Likes