Practicing soldering for my DIY electric skateboard build, how does it look?

Please do, I’ve had a couple asking for a link to good vid.

Appreciate it, in a way I’m trying to find a way to hold the connector which I’m using vice grips, but just need to find a way to hold the wire and solder it smoothly so I get results like that one

1 Like

It might not be super pretty but that will hold. only thing that sucks is the jacket might be too far out for the insulating clip to go over, which I’m guessing is missing anyways. :joy:

Nice job improving :+1:

1 Like

Yea I gotta strip the wire shorter so it won’t be exposed. Lots of room for Improving, going to try to have the connector on its side with the cup facing up and maybe with gravity the wire would be able to be more coated in solder

More solid joint

2 Likes

looks good. like the others said, dont forget to have a plug connected on the other side so that if the nylon melts, it doesnt morph the position of the pins! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yea I did that with this one and the pins didn’t move. Also found a way to make the vice grips not move as it’s holding the connector so it was easy soldering the wire to to the connector

1 Like

*to the connector

From the melted insulation I don’t think that wire has silicone insulation. When you are doing soldering on your esk8, silicone insulated high strand count good quality wires are a lot better to use. They flex much more, which can be very useful when you don’t have much space to work with.

On topic though, that solder joint seems structurally good. The wire seems like fairly narrow though, maybe 14AWG or a bit smaller. Once you make a few more practise joints if you want, then you definitely should also try 12AWG first, and maybe 10AWG later if you want to run 100A+ current through the wires. Thicker cables are trickier to solder, as it’s harder to make a good joint in time before melting the plastic of the connector. 12 and 10AWG are the wire thicknesses most people run in their boards. Genuine Amass made connectors and good quality solder make soldering those thicker cables easier. Focus on good tinning, and try to make a good joint as fast as possible.

The way I do it, is touching the pretinned connector to the pretinned wire, then tin the soldering iron and immediately touch it to the wire. Ones it heats up the solder on the connector too, then I add a little bit more of my 60/40 solder for the flux in it, this should make the joint look prettier. I take the iron off, once I see the solder flowing into the right place. Watch out not to add too much solder, and then your joint will be perfect.

2 Likes

The wire in the photo is 12AWG

2 Likes

Ah okay, perfect! Just looked a bit thin for me. Nevertheless, don’t forget silicone insulated wires when doing the parts for your board! This looks like PVC insulation or something like that.

1 Like

You know any local stores that sell them? I got these wires from a Home Depot and thought those would work, or should I just get them off Amazon?

I bought mine at hobbyking, not sure what’s local to you. Amazon would work too, but it’s probably a bit more expensive. The searchterm is “high strand silicone wire 12AWG”.

These wires would work too, just the high strand silicone coated ones feel way nicer, bend nicer, and therefore when space limited, you have a slightly easier time organizing your electronics in the enclosure.

Also, you are much less likely to burn the insulation, but this is mostly just a cosmetic thing.

1 Like

You think Home Depot would carry those wires?

Maybe, but Amazon is a good option imo

You can get it in 2 to 3 days

1 Like

Ok, good to know, that was my original option but I was told they had 12 gauge at Home Depot but I guess it’s not silicone insulated so Amazon it is!

Nope, I’ve gone in the past, and the Home Depot wires are all built for housing and construction, not hobby (think long runs, needs to be cost effective). Not much soldering there, more crimping and stuff because nothing’s moving once it’s built. They’re nowhere near as nice as the silicone hobby/electronics wires.

Ok, didn’t know that. Thought you can just get a 12 gauge anywhere and it’ll work. For sure will get the silicone wires off Amazon

It will. :slightly_smiling_face:

But there are certain types of wire and insulation that can make certain uses easier. For example, you can have one solid conductor, a few thicker strands, or hundreds of small strands. They can all be 12AWG wires but each is good for a different purpose.

Same for insulation. Some are inexpensive but have a low melting point, like PVC. Some have a high melting point but are thick, like silicone. And some are thin and have a high melting point but are expensive and tough to strip off, like Teflon. Each different type of insulation will be best suited to a different application and budget.

The high strand count, silicone-insulated wires are great for esk8 use but you can use any 12AWG wire you want. It all depends on your preferences and budget and how careful you are when soldering and routing the wires,

6 Likes

Since it would be a good idea so nothing happens with the wire and it’s the best quality, I might go with the silicone wire from Amazon, think their like 7 bucks for 15 ft

1 Like