Practicing soldering for my DIY electric skateboard build, how does it look?

Finally got my silicone wire in, wanted to practice a bit on it to make sure. Might do one more with the silicone and the rest of the day go with my practice wire so I just can just get my solder joint cleaner which the one on the silicone wire turned out good

1 Like

not very good pics, you can do better try twisting the strands and not letting them get messed up. How much solder soaked into the wire out of the cup?

1 Like

I do a quick little Pre-pre-tin b4 I strip the wires so there is no fraying at all. Forget who I learned that from,.but definitely someone here.

5 Likes

with too small of a wire if is easy to knock the strands if you have also stripped too much off

2 Likes

Thats pretty key too, even more so with crimping.

1 Like

Yea I figured. I wasnā€™t used to soldering silicone wire, the first one the wires were stranding out and it just made it a total mess, the wire for the second time. Thatā€™s on the picture, that had zero wires coming out and I got a pretty decent solder on that one. I only got 5 ft of silicone wire so I donā€™t wanna use all of it since I want to save it for the actual harness for the battery. The one thing Iā€™m pretty much struggling to get is the solder into the cup cuz I feel when I pull the tip away, it takes solder off and thatā€™s what causing it for the wire to not being covered and it gets that sinking feeling

1 Like

I think I found that using the stripper or in my case flush cutters as a measuring guide for crimps works good. I also wonder if you could JST crimp without stripping if you did some extra step to check them.

1 Like

Ceramic tools allow you to hold the wire strands down inside the molten pool.

1 Like

I use pliers to hold the wire in place. Might have to look around and see if I got any, I just keep the tip pressed on the wire, things I gotta experiment and see what works the best I guess

1 Like

toothpick also works better than metal tools

1 Like

@Red_souls
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07V6G4V72/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_FT3AZ1WHHZD7Y8ZTVG5Z?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Alright will indeed try that next time

1 Like

Hereā€™s the trick (:

3 Likes

I find this does not work, at least for me if you donā€™t have any of the edge exposed it will not wick in.

1 Like

are you using flux? helps a lot ^^

3 Likes

uh yeah. idk I found it was a waste of time when I had to strip to tin properly anyways. if you have one of those solder pools I bet it works good.

3 Likes

A drop of liquid rosin flux into the end of the wire has worked well for me except for really badly tarnished old wire. That I have to strip and use a flux pen on, with the rubbing from the penā€™s tip taking off the oxidation.

1 Like

I feel if I can keep the strands tightly together, itā€™ll be so much easier to slide into the cup

1 Like

I agree.
The high strand count wire makes that tough to do, those tiny strands often seem to have a mind of their own, but good luck!

2 Likes

Appreciate it! Have any tips to make the job more easier?