Practicing soldering for my DIY electric skateboard build, how does it look?

Recently i decided to make my own electric skateboard. Gotten a soldering iron along with it, today decided to try out and see how my soldering job is so I can prepare and make sure everything is done right so the electronics and wiring are solid for my build.

1 Like

Way more overlap than you need, the fact it’s dripping means you’re using way too much, having stray strands can cause massive problems with poking through and shorting

3 Likes

If you’re splicing two wires together, I would use a Western Union splice, which is recommended by NASA for any cables that might be under tension.

Also is that PVC insulated wiring? I would recommend silicone wires just for ease of use and flexibility alone, not to mention it doesn’t burn when you’re soldering close to the insulation.

4 Likes

Was going to put heat shrink on it but this is just practice to get my soldering better before I solder anything with the board

These are just practice wires. I’m just trying to use to soldering before I tackle the real thing, all of the wires I’ll be using for my board are 12 awg but it’ll be going to connectors and not being spliced

1 Like

*to get used to soldering

1 Like

its really easy dont stress it i did it for the first time just fine

2 Likes

That’s a big weight off my chest haha. I know you have to Tin the wires and connector and slap them together

2 Likes

Ah I’d practice on a few connectors then with the actual wire. 12AWG is going to wick heat much faster than the practice wire you’re using, and you might find it gets a little more challenging to heat it up and wet, and the angles to hold the iron are more limited. Besides, you can easily desolder and resolder them back on as practice, so you won’t really waste too much wire or connectors.

Don’t forget to put a mating end to the connector while soldering! It helps hold the terminals in place in case the plastic gets soft, and acts as a heat sink to keep it cooler.

4 Likes

My iron max temp is 500•C

2 Likes

i just connected the positive and negative straight to the outlet lol i dont have the fancy ones

2 Likes

Did you tin them first?

the wires? yeah i put a little bit on it and then a little bit inside the connector then connected them in eachother while warming everything up and it combined nice

2 Likes

You warmed up the connector before putting the wire in it or you warmed the wire and added it to the connector

bro you just put them against eachother then warm the connector and jam wire inside it and they both get warm

2 Likes

Say less

im in this exact situation. 8awg and xt90 is really kicking my ass

1 Like
6 Likes

Update: first time getting the wire to solder into the cup. Job is still shit but hey this a good sign I’m getting somewhere.

3 Likes

Another update: got a way better solder

1 Like