Practicing soldering for my DIY electric skateboard build, how does it look?

I cant stress enough how important it is to have everything clean. Soldering is super simple or the basics are any way.

1. Clean things needed to be soldered
  2. Make sure its clean.
  3. Add flux
  4. Apply heat and/or solder

I find cleaning to the most important even when tining your wire or connector.

1 Like

jesus you are making me feel like making a video tutorial, I am not even a youtuberā€¦

12 Likes

Lol soldering tutorial for esk8 connectors is two videos away on my list :smiley: :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Pic of your Iron, flux and solder? Do you have tip cleaner?

3 Likes

I canā€™t wait to try this stuff out.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NS4J6BY/

The amazon reviews make it sound like using it will give you an orgasim

I use a sponge

1 Like

I used flux for the connector and wire. It bonded easily, so I know that method worked

2 Likes

seems like you have a working soldering setup, you just need to practice the right methods for connectors and all that.

if you are using any weak iron at all xt90 and 10AWG is only possible with skills

2 Likes

Yea I canā€™t lie the first one was ass but the red wire was pretty good for my first time, I gotta perfect it but Iā€™m not in a hurry to start my build because I wanna make sure nothing detaches and I go flying lmao

1 Like

Yep we can help, just keep doing solder joints and posting pics here will grade and tell ya how to improve

2 Likes

Iā€™m using 12awg and I got rosin core solder but just using this to practice and not waste the rosin core

I did read the ā€œHow to Solderā€ thread and thatā€™s how I learned to add flux + add solder onto the tip of the iron and that helped ALOT, my very first attempts of soldering just a plain wire was terrible and lumpy but now Iā€™ve been practicing and from the info I made a pretty nice smooth solder on the wire, same for the connector. Just all about practice but at the same time I donā€™t wanna waste all my XT-90 connectors

1 Like

Send me the link when you make it, will be looking forward to watching it

1 Like

Make sure you are in a ventilated area. No way around practicing over and over again.

2 Likes

I practice outside

1 Like

Soldering is a bit like riding a bike. Once it clicks, you will get it. Itā€™s a knack.

3 Likes

having a crap bike with wobbly wheels that fall off would not help you learn right too

1 Like

Yea, it seems the more I practice, the better I get, today I got my first connector soldered but it was shit then the second (last) one it was pretty clean along with just soldering the wire in general, it was all lumpy before but now itā€™s pretty smooth, flux helps a lot

1 Like

Oh yeah Iā€™ve got some of that stuff, I use it on my iron whenever it starts getting finnicky

Iā€™ll try to remember to post a link here

1 Like

Oh good lord.

Iā€™m awake now

2 Likes