šŸŒ  Northern Light | Switchblade with Reverse-mounted Urethane Gear Drives

I love the look of the board! :heart_eyes:

btw, do you have a link to the inserts you ended up using?

2 Likes

I donā€™t unfortunately, I bought them at a local hardware store. I do think the amazon ones are better, I just need the proper tool for them :confused:

1 Like

Missed the sunset, but a short video nonetheless

16 Likes

How is the grip?

Looks so good. Would love to see a pic of how close the motors sit to the ground.

Or maybe Iā€™ll just wait to see it this weekend :slight_smile:

Bad with wet feet, pretty good with dry feet :slight_smile:

@monsterbuilder will take a picture tomorrow for you. Answer is: too low; theyā€™re getting badly scratched already :confused:

3 Likes

Easily the sleekest switchblade build Iā€™ve ever seen.
Well done dude

4 Likes

Flying day

Undid the bolts. Disassembled the NESE modules. Iā€™m bringing with me a skate tool, set of allan keys, and a screwdriver for the NESE bolts. And blue threadlocker. All the bolts are in a zip-loc bag. Threw in some foam, and used duct tape to temporarily keep the enclosure in place.

I printed battery labels for my NESE modules, and taped the terminals over with duct-tape.

They will be sitting in this soft lunch box, along with some of my camera gear to blend in :slight_smile:

For the board itself I have Trampaā€™s luxury travel bag for 35 degree mountainboards. All the walls have soft cushioning, and the inside pockets store my charger, tools, gloves. Beneath the board I have my Knox Urbane Pro shirt / jacket, and Iā€™m using some foam blocks to protect the trucks at the moment while the wheels are missing.

Plenty of free space for some clothes, and all the esk8 parts I plan to bring back with me :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I carry my TSG Pro helmet in its helmet bag, as my one personal carry-on item.

Hopefully my next update will be me assembling the battery again in the US! :us:

14 Likes

At a target parking lot, I assembled my battery with blue threadlocker on all the bolts

Next day at Andrewā€™s place I assembled the board an hour before the first ride.

@BenjaminF printed me another bumper guard, which I secured with duct tape and the one bolt. At the end of the day both were missing however, :cry:

@bboybowzer gave me 2 riptide cone bushings to put in the front. I like them, they work great! :smiley: Remind me to pay you for them lol

Green wheels didnā€™t need drilling! :smiley: Although one isnā€™t on quite enough I think, but very close. Hammered the board against the railing there, lol. The green really pops, and completes the boardā€™s look imo :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Also, I should probably be more careful. Already had like 3 close-calls today

And the one thing to break wasā€¦ the ESC! Its motor config got erased suddenly! Luckily Renee got me set up again through bluetooth, but wtf?

Also, my Stormcoreā€™s RGB wires are mismatched, because it goes from green to red to blue as I discharge.
And what does the power button blinking between colors mean? My charger also goes from solid green to alternating between green & red, but I donā€™t know what that means. Is it switching from constant current to constant voltage? (The stormcore button blinks if the charger is blinking, and at the same rate. From yellow to green. If I unplug the charger, it stays yellow. Hmm, in vesc tool it says the voltage is constantly switching between 47.7V and 49.3V. Is this some clever charging / monitoring strategy? I guess the charge is done when it stops blinking thenā€¦ )

Also the charge port came loose. I guess the epoxy didnā€™t do shit. Good thing it has those 4 extra bolt holesā€¦

Iā€™m sleep deprived, will edit this later

14 Likes

That happened to someone earlier today on a 60d

The weekend for all of us lol

Donā€™t worry about. Happy to help .

6 Likes

So my theory was that the BMS was not working correctly.
Bought a replacement Daly from Ben, and soldered it at the airbnb with tools from Damon.

This was my make-shift soldering station:

But before I started I duct-taped the smoke detector so that it wouldnā€™t trigger.

Fuck it, itā€™s Portland.

And yet, the problem persisted! I even tried with a 6A charger. And tested with a multimeter that all the phase wires are in correct order. My last guess is that both chargers were trying to go to constant voltage mode and were set too high, so the BMS cuts them off, but wow! What a problemā€¦

Since @bboybowzer has kindly lended his board, Iā€™ll use that for the last few days, and fix my board back in Latvia.

Bonus: That face when Raisins wipes out going 37mph

19 Likes

Look at this handsome mf

15 Likes

At home measured voltages of all the p-groups. Each is 3.88V. Wtf, why wonā€™t it charge normally??? Charger outputs 50.5V, surely thatā€™s within margin of error to still work?

I guess Iā€™ll let this board collect dust until spring, not like I can ride it in the rain much anyway. Want to build a 12s4p battery for it too, save some weight compared to NESE and gain some range. With one of those duck PCBs :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Dang thatā€™s really weird, I was sure the problem would be an unbalanced p-group causing the BMS to lock.

Did you confirm the balance wires are ordered correctly?

Did that back when it was assembled. Checked both with a voltmeter, and by hand.
Wondering what BMS I should use when I use this pack for my mountainboard. I guess an LTT smart oneā€¦

Hmm, I was thinking of just paying an EU based battery builder to build a pack for me since Iā€™m busy with other boards, but none of the trusted EU builders have good example photos of their work to show off their skills. Most donā€™t even have a vendor thread, lol

If any EU battery builder is reading this, share your work! Iā€™d be willing to spend ~450ā‚¬ on a 12s4p P42A battery. But if you charge more, Iā€™ll just do it myselfā€¦

5 Likes

Can recommend.

2 Likes

I guess itā€™s fine if he stops welding directly in the middle of the negative terminalā€¦

Edit: he shared some of his recent work, itā€™s good stuff :+1: Hired him to build the battery :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@Acido :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Same comment applies lol

Maybe Iā€™m just spoiled by the pretty packs the US folk are making.

4 Likes