[EU] Custom Liion battery packs from Germany

Hey folks,

I’m creating and updating this thread because I’ve built a ton of packs already.

About me: I’m an electronics engineer based in east Germany and building boards and li-ion battery packs in my spare time.

I use all the good stuff like quality cells from nkon.nl, pure nickel strips (tested in saltwater), insulator rings, fishpaper between cells with differet potential, high temp kapton tape and so on.

Cells I use (can order others too, if requested):

• 18650: Molicel P26A
  • 21700: Molicell P42A

Nickel I use:

• 0.15 / 0.2mm thick, 25, 30 or 50mm wide
  • Pure nickel, 99.96% pure (saltwater tested)
  • double layer, if needed for super high current application
    (or reinforced with copper braid)

Power cables + connectors:

• 8, 10, 12, 14, 18awg high temperature silicone wire
  • xt60 or xt90(s) high current connectors for the output
  • 5.5 * 2.1mm 10A barrel jack for charging (with rubber dustcover)
  • 10A fused chargeport and fused output (Ouput Fuses: 60/80/100/125/150/175A)

BMS’s:

• charge only or discharge bms
  • LTT smart bms with bluetooth if desired (now works with metr module)
  • Daly bms

Extras I offer:

• chargers suitable to your battery pack
  • double xt60 / xt90 connectors for double vescs
  • flexible battery pack

Prices will be fair and individually based on the pack you order. (material costs + working hours)
Since I’m doing this in my spare time, please consider waiting a bit because I need to order parts for packs individually.

Here are some pictures of my battery packs (:

12s3p Samsung 30q with 80A bestech discharge bms

8s4p Samsung 30q with smart bms (charge only)

10s2p Sanyo 20700b with original 30A bms (it’s an upgrade pack for an onan board)

12s3p Molicell P42A with 100A discharge smart BMS

12s6p Samsung 30q with 100A discharge smart BMS

Feel free to contact me here if you have any questions or are interested. (:
You can also dm me on instagram Login • Instagram

cheers ^^

20 Likes

hi sehr interessant suche einen 10s 1p akku für mein Ausstellungsstück mit 21700 35a und das möglichst durchsichtig für mein holo Board. 5 oben 5unten Schrumpfschlauch alles in klar (bms?) brauche ich glaube ich nicht wenn die Akkus identisch sind was würde denn sowas ungefähr kosten? Gruß aus Köln

Prices and exemplars please.

^ This.
10char

1 Like

A 10s1p with Samsung 40T cells and 40A bms (yes, you need it if you don’t want your house burning down) would be around 160€.

The only 1p I would ever run would be A123 cells.

How about the norms:
All with BMS and 30Q cells
10s3p
10s4p
12s3p
12s4p

2 Likes

The problem with the A123 cells is, that these are LiFePo4 cells, not Liion… LiFePo4 is not as energy dense, so they are lacking range in the board (for example boosted, a ton of battery’s but shitty range).

̶3̶̶0̶̶q̶̶ ̶̶p̶̶a̶̶c̶̶k̶̶s̶̶:̶
̶1̶̶0̶̶s̶̶2̶̶p̶̶ ̶-̶ ̶̶2̶̶3̶̶0̶€
̶1̶̶0̶̶s̶̶3̶̶p̶̶ ̶-̶ ̶̶2̶̶8̶̶0̶€
̶1̶̶0̶̶s̶̶4̶̶p̶̶ ̶-̶ ̶̶3̶̶3̶̶0̶€
̶1̶̶2̶̶s̶̶2̶̶p̶̶ ̶-̶ ̶̶2̶̶8̶̶0̶€
̶1̶̶2̶̶s̶̶3̶̶p̶̶ ̶-̶ ̶̶3̶̶3̶̶0̶€
̶1̶̶2̶̶s̶̶4̶̶p̶̶ ̶-̶ ̶̶3̶̶8̶̶0̶€
Sorry, no more 30q packs for these prices.

Prices vary for different bms types, these packs above use a simple Charge only bms without an e-switch or Bluetooth module

I have been riding for more than a year without a bms… seems to work fine :slight_smile:
following this philosopy:

This may work for a bit, but over a long period of time the cells wear a tiny bit different. If you don’t check cell voltages regularly, the cells can under or/and overcharge over time. When you want to keep the price low, please at least use a charge only bms, so the cells get monitored when charging.
Don’t cheap out on essential things needed for safety!

1 Like

Jupp, the post says to use a balance connector to check for drifting regularly, which I do. Every couple of months, or whenever I see drift, I balance charge my battery. Did not mean to promote unsafety.

It’s just much more convenient to have a bms that checks the voltages for you :wink:

not using a bms is safer then using a bms as long as you are balancing every certain amount of cycles and monitoring cells regularly, most people who use bms’s dont even check if it is balancing correctly.

1 Like

Especially with these smart bms coming out all over the place :slight_smile: looks really promising. When I built my board (about a year and a half ago) there were a lot boards breaking due to the bms so i just never bothered with them. One more thing that could go wrong. But obviously the evolved quite a bit…

Not really… If a quality bms like the bestech ones or a Bluetooth bms ist used, it’s much safer that way.
Also you didn’t mention the temperature sensors of a bms, short circuit protection, overcurrent protection and so on…
If for example a vesc breaks and creates a short circuit, what’s protecting the cells?

The fuse you hopefully wired up in line :tipping_hand_man:

For sure not a charge only bms :sweat_smile:

If bms or not is really personal preference.
Also the bestech bms drained multiple packs to 0v on as min one group, so nothing is without issues.
A bms provides a lot of protection features, but it’s also just an electrical component which can be faulty or fail during operation.

2 Likes

I was talking about a bms with integrated fuse :slight_smile:
Of course I wire fuses in all my packs.

Yup, every component can fail but most of the time it adds a layer of protection.

I trust myself more then any bms, no bms is reliable even bestech bestech have been shipping out a lot of faulty units

3 Likes

Are there any examples of your assembled battery packs?
I will need some 10s2p packs 30q and want to try out 40t in a special arrangement to fit into my enclosures.
I have a pile of all the same 10s bms in use at the moment i would send you, when my batteries are finally torn to death.
How much would your price drop if you use the bms i will send you?
Ps: ich bin auch ne Kartoffel, Digga :grinning:

2 Likes

Yup there are examples :slight_smile:

This was a meepo upgrade pack (10s2p Sanyo 20700)
And I know there is missing Fishpaper between the p-groups but this has been fixed in the next builds.

12s6p Trampa pack: 30q batterys, 100A Bluetooth bms, 12mm wide nickel and nicely fused

6 Likes

The BMS’s I use are charge only ones. These cost 20-30€ and that’s the pricedrop :slight_smile:
If u want I could also build the packs without the bms and you would add them yourself.

2 Likes