šŸŒ  Northern Light | Switchblade with Reverse-mounted Urethane Gear Drives

Have you had a look at my recent IG posts?
I donā€™t update that forum post too often ^^

I donā€™t weld at the bottom center anymore since it was first discussed here (:

8 Likes

lol

I noticed one of my gear drives was loose :confused:

Well, I guess the grub screws that hold the gear drive to the hanger should have green threadlocker on them. Also Iā€™ve lost a lot of the small bolts on the outside of the gear drive, because I only used blue threadlocker on them. I was scared to use red because I donā€™t want to melt the POM wheel gear when heating them up to unbolt. But maybe itā€™s safe? Dunno. Guess I have no choice.

Also the drives scraping the ground had ruined one of the bolt heads, so I had to completely drill through the bolt to disintegrate it :cry:

Also note that the plastic guards for 3d servisas gear drives love to jump over the bolts, so use some washers to make sure that doesnā€™t happen.

8 Likes

Permatex Orange is your solution :muscle:

2 Likes

Use red but only a small amount. Works for me.

1 Like

Great thread Raisins!

6 Likes

Thanks! @Simeon has just finished the final 12s4p battery for it too :partying_face:

Here is a photo album of it being built:

Also shoutout to @Zach for selling me his FlexiBMS, it works! :smiley:

I also have a green davega on the front now :open_mouth:
Will take some sexy photos of the complete build once the battery arrives.

16 Likes

ooh, thats nice! I got a switchblade coming next week, so this was a good read.

4 Likes

Wow, I thought I managed to build a decent battery but this makes me feel I still have a lot to learn.

7 Likes

Yesterday my Bestech BMS started exhibiting the same issue. And I finally figured out what was wrong:

One of the p-groups instantly goes to full when charging. Took the cells out, 2 of them are definitely sus:

I wonder what made them go bad. Guess Iā€™ll have to replace all 3.

I also noticed that there are nasty black marks on the tabs of my NESE modules. Should I be concerned @Agniusm ? Theyā€™re pesent on the other p-groups as well.

4 Likes

PMJIā€¦IMO those marks indicate that the cells were bouncing in the holder, disconnecting/reconnecting and arcing each time.

11 Likes

Are these modules used in a board? If individual cells momentarily lose contact due to vibrations, minor arcing can occur. After arcing you get high resistance due to extra oxide in the way and these tabs might see high temps.

3 Likes

I have the modules bolted shut when in operation. That being said, this is a urethane build so the vibrations could have been pretty extreme at times

Clean the strips with a bit of alcohol and then check them out with a good magnifier or loupe. You should be able to see the surface pitting from the arcing.

1 Like

Arcing also can draw significant current from the cell. Not sure how much they like it.

1 Like

Could you explain how that works?

In short, this:

To sustain the arc, a considerable amount of energy is required. Intuitively for me it seems that the cell sees both the normal load + the arc load, hence the extra current.

2 Likes

Thanks. I donā€™t think it works that way though.

The arc is sustained by the rising voltage at the gap due to the systemā€™s inductance. I donā€™t think we can trust those waveforms to be accurate for anything other than the particular scenario they were considering. Having said that, notice that the current and voltage for both scenarios in that illustration multiply out to about the same power level.

When you say ā€œarc loadā€ what do you mean? The load is whatever is connected to the leads at that connection point. The load cannot change just because there is arcing. If itā€™s a resistive load the resistance stays the same. Discharged caps will still have the same capacitance. The inductance and resistance of a motorā€™s leads will not change.

The voltage at that connection will rise up to a certain point, ā€œspikeā€, for the reason mentioned above and I donā€™t know what the current level is due to that.

Arcing into leads connected to a MOSFET in the off state will only result in the tiniest amount of greater current flowing into the MOSFETā€™s gate. Arcing into a resistive or capacitive load could result in more current flow but only for microseconds, at the most.

Since the arc lasts only a tiny, tiny fraction of a second I donā€™t think it can result in any kind of appreciable average current draw from the cell.

4 Likes

Sorry, missed thet. I doubt arcing will occure at 4.2V. Could be oxide?! Have you tried cleaning it? Also you could try 2000 grit paper rub

Yeah hit comes off mostly if I lightly sand it. Iā€™ll try doing that this weekend to see if it makes a difference to my range. My remote says I use up 24Wh/km which should give me ~22km range with my battery, but IRL Iā€™m getting only 10km :frowning: