Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Very cool. Thanks a lot!

Edit: This rope solution is probably the best!

1 Like

Thanks mate, I tried that with no love :frowning:

I changed that out and still get the same issue.

Thanks mate, so is that a balance thing? Could it be weighted incorrectly?

Balance can be part of it, but not the whole thing.

Yes, making sure the can is perfectly balanced will help, but esk8 is an incredibly harsh environment in terms of impact and vibrations from external sources (road) too, and no amount of balancing will help that.

The original outrunner design gained widespread popularity in RC airplanes, where pretty much the only source of vibration was the motor and/or prop itself, and thus the cantilevered design was sufficient and saved significant cost, weight, and complexity. But as motors have gotten longer and larger, and as they’ve transitioned to use in ground vehicles, the shortcomings of the design are far more evident.

1 Like

Have you looked at these pics?

2 Likes

thinking of going with 6374 170Kv. any thoughts. Looking for more torque. currently at 12s6p, 16/60t, 152mm wheel size 6374 190Kv.
update
orrrr…I can go with some TB 6380 170Kv :thinking: but will they work with a Unity ESC?

I have a metroboard 10s8p with LG cells and a backfire 10s2p with Samsung 30q cells. I think it can work in parallel, but knowing they r two different cells and two different bms, just want to make sure its ok to put these in parallel. Thx!

It would work (I think) but I wouldn’t recommend it. Even the same cell from same MFG with one worn and one not your more worn cells will get below low voltage cut off before the newer ones. If you were to go through and break down both packs and build up a new pack with roughly same IR for each P group so the draw available from each is about the same then could work but think better off going totally fresh and keeping old as backup or selling or using for a backup board or something along those lines.

Also both going through their own BMS sounds sketchy to me though I can’t say exactly why that might cause issues (perhaps stressing the BMSes or just wasting energy balancing between the two but it doesn’t seem ideal)

Ok thx. Ill just keep it how its now. I have it set up if one of the battery dies, i have to unplug the xt60 and plug in to the other battery. Find that annoying so just thought of putting it in parallel. Thx!

Should be fine only thing the ESC may limit you on is the max current draw and/or heat dissipation by the MOSFETs and voltage which I presume isn’t changing here so should be good. Is there something obvious I’m missing that you think will make it a problem?

1 Like

nothing other than…the nature of esk8 DIY type stuff. i’m running 12s6p 152mm wheel, 16/60t gearing with a Unity.

1 Like

Gotcha just looking for the random gotchas and known issues, no experience with unity but it isn’t making my Spidey senses tingle :smiley:

1 Like

cool i sent a message on the website (TB) haven’t heard anything yet…gonna go ahead and pull the trigger. we have rain the next few days so I guess i can wait…lol

Yah TB is good about helping if things are wrong can change order typically if they haven’t shipped yet only thing that comes to mind though is the clearance for the longer cans but if pneumatics assuming it’s extra wide trucks anyhow too so likely all good.

1 Like

yeah i measured already…i think i’m good there SR RKP 200mm 80mm axles.
update
order is in expect my motors in about a week :grin:

1 Like

Can I safely charge a 12s li-ion battery with a 42V charger if I only want to bring it up to storage voltage? It would be 3.5V per cell but I’m not sure the 12s BMS will approve

2 Likes

If it’s just a D140/similar compact charge only, works fine. Worst thing that will happen is that it doesn’t charge.

2 Likes

Yah can’t say it will work for sure but under powering things isn’t generally a recipe for disaster so long as you aren’t drawing more current through a thing than it’s rated for it will likely survive. Over volting or reversing polarity without reverse polarity protection diodes is a recipe for disaster.

Why are channel trucks with urethane wheels not really a thing?