Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

yep a ton
no normal ones at 4/5mm long

the hole isnt to big i meant that the deck is very thin so i need smaller (less long) inserts

starting to consider blind rivet nuts with grip on top to stop water ingress
bad idea or got potential?

anyone done it and have a pic they could share?

My recommendation would be to just use the too-long inserts, and then file them flush after installing.

Make sure to use some epoxy during the install so they don’t work loose.

3 Likes

Like MysticalDork said, rivnuts are really better used in hard, usually thin materials. They don’t have any intrinsic way to grip something soft like wood.

3 Likes

i cant file 3mm of brass easily
would cutting the inserts and then installing be ok?

its a lacroix so 18 inserts for a single stack battery
not that much weight being supported

I mean I don’t see why not, but then again you’re the on who actually had the inserts so it would probably be way easier for you to tell. If for some reason you can’t figure it out just try it on a scrap piece of wood or deck mby.

1 Like

I ordered a new prebuilt (Boundmotor Flash) with a 12S4P P42A battery pack and it uses a MakerX DV6 clone. After ordering, I got this note from the vendor, “P42A pack is rated 100A BMS, we will set 45A per motor for safety reason.” I understand it to mean that the battery can handle 100A, but the VESC has the motor set to 45A. Is that accurate? What does that mean exactly? Also, when the vendor says, “saftey reasons”, does they mean my physical safety (aka it’s fast) or the battery/motors safety? Thanks!

ended up just putting in the full insert (a bit sticks out) and will glue a rubber foam over the bit sticking out and make a hole for the bolt to go in.
the wood was cracking quite a lot (very old deck) but they seem to hold well

It sounds like they set it for component safety reasons, if they set each side to be allowed to pull 45 battery amps, then that is a pretty good number.

That gives you a theoretical maximum draw from the battery of ~90a. I think having 10% overhead is good. That being said, I don’t know what they set the motors to, you might be able to bump the motor current settings up a bit, those numbers will be very different when compared to the battery max.

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply. So as I understand it, there are two settings, battery power and motor power. Based on the note, it sounds like they set the motor power to 45A but didn’t mention what the battery Amps are set to. So I’ll need to connect via Bluetooth to see what the battery amps were set to. Does that sound right?

1 Like

Well I suppose if they set the motor power to 45 each, that is pretty low.

There are two two settings though, Maximum Battery Current, and Maximum Motor Current.

For the DV6, I had no issues running it on my personal rig at 50 battery per side and 80 motor per side.

Could you paint an enclosure? I made a graphic and wanted to implement it on the enclosure as well. Would spraying clear work as well to protect the paint?

I want to glue som small LED strips under my board as I am required to have lights if I wanna ride in the dark. How do I use my 42 V battery to power 12 V led strips?

42v to 12v buck converter

actually u don’t need to have that specific voltage, as long as the buck convert can convert 42 to 12, then it will work, most of them have a range that it will work with

or what @GnomeMeansNo said below :arrow_down:

2 Likes

If you wanna get fancy there’s also this thing:

2 Likes
1 Like

Alright. Today’s the big day where I solder the BMS, I got everything lined up and ready to go. Just making sure everything is in the correct place, does everything look right? Also should I add bullet connectors to where the charge port goes so I can disconnect it or reconnect it whenever? (Got photos having it lined up, don’t have my harness in the house currently)

A decent hand file should make short work of that - easily less than 30 seconds. Obviously you have to slow down near the end to avoid damage to the board, but it shouldn’t be that hard. File, dremel, angle grinder, a sanding block, any will work.

2 Likes

will try

Files seem to have a reputation of being slow and archaic. It’s not true. A good file can remove quite a bit of material in a hurry.

Obviously power tools can do better, but especially on soft materials like brass, an old fashioned hand file can hold its own easily.

3 Likes