Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

my first enclosures were electrical boxes, pretty watertight but ugly
now i 3d printed one out of nylon

1 Like

I have
4x ZIPPY Flightmax 3000mAh 5S1P 20C Lipo Pack w/XT60 (parallel and then series)
the board I am using is in the other comment

Yah I strapped stuff on with tape and backpack straps at first and then eventually upgraded my way through lots of failed 3D prints and now using TPU enclosure for my 10S 5P battery and PETG enclosure for my electronics… Tupperware is a common goto if you just want to get it working at first and then worry about nicer enclosure later, or else sounds like looking for off the shelf… I will try to dig up some links but sure others can share their favorite vendors here too.

interesting, not sure how I would make one. Someone recommended ikea air-tight food storage enclosures, but not sure if plastic is a good solution

Top one, absolutely. Botton one, run screaming.

2 Likes

Cheers man! Appreciate it :smiley:

2 Likes

which tpu did you use
some tpus are very flexible

ah yes, loop key is what I need then! I could upgrade to a BMS eventually, I guess

1 Like

Hatchbox it is pretty stiff and I just made it thick plus still have straps holding the battery underneath…

I don’t think they sell it anymore or didn’t see it last I looked but works well for this purpose.

Pulling your batteries to charge gets real old, real fast unless you’re using a topmounted box.

2 Likes

Do we have a thread with all vendors sorted by the country? I cant seem to find it.

do you know if that’s stronger than nylon?

Oh no nylon is typically stronger really tpu is just a little easier to print typically.

Tpu is more rubber think urethane wheels nylon is hard and “self lubricating” so it slips more but urethane can “chunk” nylon just wears down eventually (I printed a motor pulley for science out of nylon, it worked for about a month)

2 Likes

Oh I’ll manage :wink:

how did you mount the battery straps to the board?

There’s just an extra set of nuts holding the straps on… I posted it in the pictures only thread will see if I can find it.

Found it: 🖼️ Pictures and nothing else!_Legacy

Maybe still hard to tell from that but basically put battery on put screw through the enclosure then through a nut then strap then into the threaded inserts so the strap is held onto the screw by the nut and acts as backup in case the enclosure flexes some or whatever… So far has worked well and been abusing it.

ah, well I’d only need to have the charging port, the power buttons etc if I am charging the batteries inside? I have a standalone balance charger that will charge the packs. so, I am thinking of just removing the batteries and charge them when I need to

1 Like

You will need a loop key drilled through even with this setup.
As others have warned, it will get boring pretty fast.

I’m not buying shredlights for my board for the simple reason that instead of one charging port, i would have to connect 5 of them when i get home from work, press 5 buttons to turn on/off everything. It just… it gets tiring

1 Like

order of operations is very important

4 Likes

too late now :stuck_out_tongue: It is my first build, so it was bound to be hick-ups. This is just one of them. No, you’re right, I have realized the difficulty of an enclosure. I’ll have to adapt to the situation I am in. which is, I need an enclosure that works for the build I currently have. Can’t redo.

@b264

1 Like