Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

chooses the one that absolutely no one voted for

3 Likes

heh heh heh

2 Likes

Thanks for this, purchasing from Aus will certainly reduce shipping costs and delays. Struggled to find any NZ suppliers to date, maybe some stuff available but not marketed as esk8.

:clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Thank you all for voting. I have taken the best elements of 4 and made it something I like a bit better. Let me know if it looks like murder to your eyeballs.

You can totally use an appropriately rated breaker or switch instead of a loop key.

Just be aware that a properly rated switch or breaker is going to be several times larger and more expensive than a loop key. :slight_smile:

(And now you know the secret!)

3 Likes

What about the spark?

Precharge circuits exist. They’re just larger, more complicated, less intuitive, and more expensive than a loop key.

Hey look, more reasons to just use a loop key! :smiley:

2 Likes

What is the electrical reason for there being a maximum recommended wire size?

AFAIK even bigger wires would just mean less resistance ie less losses to heat right? (please correct me if I’m wrong!)

or is it more of a practical explanation ie bigger wires would only bring diminishing returns and eat up space so there’s no real reason to use them?

I’m always excited to learn about this kinda stuff so thanks in advance to anyone with the explanation!

That, pretty much.
Bigger wires are more of a pain in many ways (soldering, fitting into connectors, fitting in enclosures, everything), plus they’re heavier and more expensive too.

So if the smaller wires are “good enough” (they don’t get too hot, or have too much voltage drop, etc), then it’s not really worth going bigger.
It’s all about determining what your “good enough” threshold is.

4 Likes

Yeah, this

Electrically, bigger is always better. But when you take everything else into account, you can definitely use wire that is “too big”.

2 Likes

@Matte.Black84

Dunno about local esk8 vendors here in NZ sorry boys. I pretty much buy all my shit from overseas. USA and China. Think the NZ diy market is pretty small.

Regarding budget, I’d be wary - as the guys have all suggested. I’m not really into planning out my spending on my builds, so can’t be too helpful on the process for that sorry. :joy: :man_facepalming: I would suggest $1000usd is definitely too tight. (To put it in perspective- Someone suggested a 12s6p P42a battery - just bought cells for one of these on special and with shipping it was $615NZD for just the cells…)

I have somehow accumulated 8 skateboards (3 esk8) in the last 2 years and thought I only thought I wanted one when I started this hobby… no 4 and maybe 5… on the way in 2021 :grimacing: Building stuff is addictive so beware!

I’d suggest you find a great precedent build on the forum and look to that for reference. There are plenty of lessons around and many of the dudes on here have learnt them already so if you follow a successful build you may avoid making those mistakes yourself.

I haven’t got a pneumatic build yet (will be no.5) but can understand basically what you are after. Start a build thread and I’ll read it looking for tips :+1:

Where in nz are you bro, I’m CHCH - hit us up if you’re here :beers:

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, yeh pretty much nothing local for NZ that I can find. I see MBoards do a ready to go 12s4p battery pack to NZ for $426USD inc shipping, would that be any good? In case you haven’t seen the USD been dropping big time in the last month, so pricing isn’t too bad compared to earlier in 2020.
I’m up in Orewa, Auckland, so not local to you unfortunately.
I’ll start up a thread once I’ve got a potential list of components together. Just pricing up the trucks/tires and hubs that @BenjaminF has recommended and due to USD rate might see if i’m actually better off ordering from further afield than Aus.

Don’t buy MBoards batteries

And furthermore, why are you suggesting it? Where do folks hear about these and think they are good? Serious question. Is this facebook stuff?

5 Likes

You could always go with the LiPo route if you want to save a bit on batteries. Hobbyking’s Turnigy 12Ah 6S that they use in the Patriot build’s only $111 each, and I think their global warehouse is in HK? They don’t last as long as a fully built pack, and you’ll need to either supply a BMS or use a hobby LiPo charger, but it does the job, and 2 should still get you around 15 miles on pneumatics.

yes, 5mins from where i live actually :rofl:

I also wonder where people are hearing about them lol

Just scouring the web for options and they came up. It’s hard to work out the good sites from the bad ones.

3 Likes

But specifically, where?

1 Like