Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

it’s the first hit when I google search 12s4p battery :joy:

1 Like

If only his customer service was as strong as his SEO.

He’s one of the worst.

2 Likes

YASS.

2 Likes

BMSs usually warm up a bit when balancing right? I’ve noticed the temps on my pack/bms have gone up a few degrees over the past hour or two

1 Like

Yeah it’s bleeding energy from the highest voltage groups as heat until they are all within tolerance

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s normal. It’ll go back to ambient when the pack is done balancing. My ebike BMS (an ANT smart BMS, too huge for esk8 really) has something like 200 mA/group balance current, so it gets toasty when balancing most of the 20 cell groups at once.

Luckily once everything is all balanced out the first time, the next charges will have comparatively little balancing, because it’s only keeping up with the slow cell drift, rather than bringing everything inline from scratch.

2 Likes

Which Pelicase would fit for 12s7p or 12s6p 21700?

My local store does not sell epoxy, they only have polyester resin… Can I still coat the motor windings and battle harden the can with that resin or should I order epoxy? I’d also like to use the remaining resin to seal the holes that I drilled in the enclosure. Does polyester resin work just fine for everything that I mentioned?

@b264 this man needs ur assistant

2 Likes

Ahahah I’ve already read that epoxy is better and polyester resin stinks… BUT if it works just fine I prefer to get that in my local store instead of ordering epoxy on the internet

They both smell. Polyester just smells worse
(A lot worse)

1 Like

Never mind… I checked in Maytech’s site and seems that my motors are already battle hardened so I probably won’t touch them. Better this way I don’t have to take the risk of unbalancing the can and fuck it up

1 Like

I think the pelicase 1200 would work great. I was just looking at one for my upcoming 12s8p. However, I decided to go with a 3d-printed design instead.

@thisguyhere think has a calculator for cell arrangements on his website, this one only works for flat packs though

I think someone else might have a calculator for other sizes, but I can’t remember off the top of my head. Also, you could just do it in CAD real quick to get size.

1 Like

You know, i didnt even think about 3d printed design…I mean, it’s a box! -has to be one of the easier things to print. I’m leaning towards 12s7p 21700, so maybe the peli 1200 wouldnt work with that - i think it would work with 12s6p, but not 7p…plus a 3d printed box would be cooler as i could have neat little flourishes on the side. Is there a design you’ll be using, or are you designing it yourself?

I’m pretty sure it would. One second.

I’m working on/finishing the design as we speak haha I ran out of filament but I will be printing mine soon. This is for a 12s8p of either 18650 or 21700

1 Like

sounds cool! would love to see it when its done. what filament are you using?

This is a 12s8p. Pink is 30q, white is p42a.

For filament I’m planning to do the lid and base out of PLA+ and the walls out of Nylon. The print area is so large you need to use something that sticks well otherwise warping is imminent

Here you can see 7p outlined and the 18650 8p outlined

1 Like

hmmm…i guess with an emtb you dont want to cheap out on the battery, as youll want to just keep riding. im getting battery envy…maybe 8p is more betterer lol

pity i cant make batteries smh

Lol yeah well if you don’t ride THAT far, Lipos could be better, high discharge, cheaper, and lighter. People have used those for jumper builds in the past

My point was the size you’re referencing should fit in a 1200. There’s tons of cases out there though, it’s just about size really

As for my enclosure, you’ll just have to wait and see when the build thread comes out :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

range is more important than jumping rn.

cant wait!

Just looked at the Peli 1200 dimensions, looks like 21700 wouldn’t work though with 7 or 8p

Peli 1200 = 9.48 x 7.28 x 4.13 (in inches)
(image )

One of the axis is too small. I guess this just means it’ll have to be 30q. Not a bad thing

thanks for the diagram though, v useful … just realised you mocked this up yurself! Extra thanks!

1 Like