Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Oh I guess you’re right, my bad. Yeah haha I mocked it up for my enclosure design I started yesterday. Took like 5 minutes

2 Likes

I love you, man.
Your explanations are always a pleasure for me to read, bro.
Thank you for that :hugs: :grinning: :handshake:

3 Likes

Anyone know of someone UK based with a 3D printer?

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2839199

I’d like to have this.

Maybe @Lee_Wright can help out? Although he is a busy man

2 Likes

my printer is out of action at the moment but fair shout

2 Likes

@Halbj613 maybe?

2 Likes

Lipo is a reasonable first option, but you could also look for a local battery builder to get a li-ion pack.

Also non weld options (NESE) might be an good start?

There’s a dude on Facebook that was making replacement packs for evolves but the construction looked pretty suspect to me (no fishpaper, no allowance for pack flex, single nickel series connections etc.) so I’m not gonna recommend that. Suggest check out the battery builder thread on here and see some examples of top quality work - skyart, glyphiks and some others. At least you can then understand what to look for if you get someone to make a pack for you.

Batteries are a fire risk, so caution to be advised.

1 Like

For the esk8 calc wvat do you input for motor abs wheel pulleys ?

The number of teeth on the motor pulley, and the number of teeth on the wheel pulley, respectively…

2 Likes

Yes, this :arrow_up: unless it’s 1:1 direct drive then enter 1 in both boxes

If you only have a ratio like 1:2.8 for example, then enter 1 in the top box and 2.8 in the bottom box. Some gear drives only have a ratio listed, although deeper digging will reveal actual tooth counts.

Normally it will be something like a motor pulley with 15 teeth and a wheel pulley with 42 teeth or something like that.

2 Likes

Thanks @ShutterShock @b264 forgot to mention for DD thanks for clearing that up :+1:t3:

1 Like

How much of a difference in terms of ingress protection does a ‘sealed’ motor vs an ‘unsealed’ motor make?

Very little. Either one will be permeable unless you’re talking about the motors with big can bearings.

Ah yeah didn’t think of that. Same for hub motors.

1 Like

I would have to disagree actually, it highly highly depends on the motor. e.g. Maytech Sealed vs non-sealed are completely different. My friend recently had a hall sensor break because a rock got into the back of the motor.

back of maytech non-sealed

Maytech sealed motor

The sealed ones cannot let rocks in at all. However, if we are talking about something like Torqueboards motors, which are not “sealed” versus Maytech sealed, there isn’t as much of a difference.

2 Likes

Yeah i was just looking at all three of those motors

I was hoping this would be the answer too lol. I was between the TB motors or the sealed Maytechs, wondering how much of a difference that ‘full seal’ on the Maytechs were in comparison, and if it was worth getting

1 Like

It is possible that the Maytechs have better water and dust ingress protection, but the current Torqueboards motors also have a mostly sealed can, minus the front bearing I believe. I think their product photos on the website may be outdated, I haven’t seen the latest version of TB motors in person but they’re much more enclosed than those Maytech open can ones. I’ve heard complaints about the Maytech sealed overheating before too, but my friend has never had issues. However, he doesn’t ride them very hard though. They are beat to crap and still work perfectly, so they do last

2 Likes

This was also a concern of mine when considering it; though I’m not an incredibly heavy person, and it’s really flat where I live. I’d also be using them on 'thane, so even less of a reason for them to overheat.

At worst I’d be worried about little pebbles getting inside the motor (I come across too many where I ride), but even if the current photos on the TB site are outdated, I don’t think it’ll be a huge issue. Though I do wonder if the stator will rust sooner than later; its just steel right?

I’ve personally never had a motor rust but I just never ride when it’s wet. Do you intend to ride in the rain?

With your description I would never expect overheating problems lol. My Flipsky motors have never gone above 60 degrees C and I slam hills all the time hahah

The little pebbles were never a problem on my TB motors. I don’t think it will be a problem, maybe check out some pics from @Taraskasyanyuk of his latest version TB motors.

1 Like

Not intentionally; but if it starts raining, it rains, and they’ll get wet :laughing:. Usually at worst, it might be on wet roads or through puddles, but I honestly haven’t ridden enough to really know if those things will affect motors.

That’s good news for me haha

Will check those out too

1 Like