Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

my box is kind of similar, but it has plastic like caps on the side, not a single problem. :slight_smile: You could route the antenna to the outside and protect it a bit.

should i be using spacers between the bearings in my wheels? and if so, is there a special type that is preferable for esk8?

Yes please do. 8mm inner diameter 10mm long

10-11mm outer diameter is good.

I bought my spacers at sickboards since i found those tolerances to be really good. Otherwise i run zealous since they have built in spacers.

Hi! Focbox unity noob here. Is it safe to update to FW5.01 using the Android VESC Tool app over Bluetooth? and if I don’t like it, can I flash it back to unity 23.46 firmware using Bluetooth? I do not have physical access to the VESC. Prefer not to unseal everything. Thanks!

1 Like

What kind of range should I expect upgrading from the stock DSS50+ Prototipo battery to 12s5p p42a pack?

I’m starting a 4WD build and plan to use two spintend unique box ESCs. Should I use one battery pack split for two ESCs? 1 pack per ESC? Does it matter?

I recommend doing one battery for both ESCs lol

3 Likes

What are the consequences/differences of increase torque by reducing KV versus changing gear ratio?

Why did this happen? Clearly something got too hot to keep working correctly… Would running a higher rated fuse keep it running cooler @MysticalDork or @b264?

I fused my charge port like a good boy using this fuse holder and 18ga wire.

The fuse was rated for 10A and didn’t blow… It’s still continuous. Just noticed my charger wasn’t charging my board.

1 Like

Looks like the holder didnt allow as much heat/current as the wires connected to it and started melting

1 Like

Yeah that part is apparent but why. It comes in a kit with several higher rated amperage fuses and should be able to handle more amps.

Really just focused on if using a higher amp rated fuse would affect heat at all.

1 Like

@Venom121212
If the fuse itself has not blown, but the fuse holder melted, it indicates that the fuse holder was making poor contact with the fuse. Loose connections are common with poor quality fuse holders. Because they don’t make adequate contact with the fuse, they can allow dirt and dust to get in between the contact points - resulting in voltage drop.

Heating in an electrical circuit is always caused by current flowing through a resistance. If there is significant resistance in the contact between fuse and fuse holder, a current well below the fuse rating can cause enough heat to melt an inline fuse holder.

Note, this heating of the electrical fuse may not always be immediate. Whilst the initial resistance may be lower and the initial heating may not be enough to reach the fuse melting point, the heating can cause oxidation of the metal connections, leading to increased contact resistance.

This accelerates the heating effect until there is an “avalanche” of rapidly increasing heating/increasing resistance, leading to what may appear to be a sudden failure even some time after the installation.

TLDR: if the fuse holder melted, it is due to a lost connection

5 Likes

I do offroad a lot and it does look quite crooked.

I have a shiiiit ton of these guys laying around so I’m going to try and fix them in place better with heat shrink to keep them from untwisting. Maybe even solder it to one spring and glue in place?

Yeah yeah blade fuses and epoxy I know…

2 Likes

@Venom121212 yes, I agree with @Flasher.

I have always soldered fuses into the circuit, typically automotive blade type fuses.

Maybe try one of these

Or I might just try soldering that glass fuse into the circuit, but be really quick about soldering to it. You don’t want to hold the iron on it, as it can melt the element inside. I’ve soldered to glass fuses before, just be quick about it, and pre-tin the wire, and touch and go.

2 Likes

LoL yes of course this :rofl:

But in your case I’d just solder that glass one in

2 Likes

I had the same thing happen on my bike, with the same type of holder.
I suspect that the holder itself got hot due to poor connections inside.
I replaced the holder, and before installing a fuse I took it apart and went over the crimps inside with some solder and flux, to make sure they’re solid.
I haven’t had an issue since.

tldr, probably not the fuse, but the holder.

3 Likes

I have a questions about pulley compatibility. Another member on the forum has a set of Haggyboard pneumatic wheels with pulleys that fit TB218 and BN220 trucks. Will these pulleys fit an evolve/evolve clone truck? More specifically, I ride a Verreal RS. Thanks in advance!

I want to know this too. I’m running 5:1 gearing with 8" tires… Torque is pretty damn fine but I’m interested in knowing if I went from 140kv to 170 and just got 6:X gearing which is equivalent, what the wh/km would be and if more or less heat is generated.

@MoeStooge is an expert in this I believe. I don’t know the science behind it.

2 Likes

Lower kv means longer thinner wires, which means less possible amps.
In theory you get the same total power out of it at a lower rpm but in practice you both drop off the efficiency curve of an outrunner motor and get higher resistance in the windings due to them being longer and thinner.

4 Likes

Does this translates to “use as high kv as you can (within erpm limit of vesc, for example), then gear for the desired torque“?

2 Likes