Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

“Hexagon” or “Hex” is not the same as “Hex-plus” which is a different shape that works better for me (doesn’t strip as much) so pay close attention to that. Not sure about the rest of the deets

4 Likes

Get the 3mm one off ebay. Look for blacklaser hex-plus. Although i must say i didn’t have problems over 2.5mm on stainless (silver) with stripping, and i’m a close second to @Halbj613’s screw tightening skills

2 Likes

72CDN$, equally as fucked as AUS$ wtf

2 Likes

Its what happens whenever I “need” something for the usa

Man…The set costs 23€ here which is like 35 CAD

1 Like

If only I could pay that price :sweat_smile::disappointed_relieved:

Top 2 ruin it with the risk of loss
Bottom one is expensive

3 Likes

shipping from CA to USA: $5

shipping from USA to CA: $50

damn motherfuckers ha ha ha

but actually not ha ha

2 Likes

@b264 I’ve never really played around too much with my settings on vesc tool as I’ve got them dialed in pretty easily on my previous builds. On my latest build I’m using loaded/unlimited hubs and I’m finding my low speed breaking really weak. What motor/battery regen settings would you recommend me try? For reference in using a 10s3p 30q pack.

Thanks!

If your low speed brakes are weak, lower your motor min

Lower means lower

So if it’s -35A then lower it, like to -50A or something further below zero

2 Likes

Sounds good, thanks! Also, what would you personally set the battery regen on a 3p 30q pack at?

What’s your

motor Kv
wheel outside diameter
body mass
motor brand/size
pulley or gear ratio

1 Like

-25A single drive

-15A , -15A on dual drive

-8A, -8A, -8A, -8A on 4WD

maybe something like that?

2 Likes

motor Kv: not sure as it’s not advertised but I would guess 60-75kv
wheel outside diameter: 85mm
body mass: 130 lbs
motor brand/size: loaded (not sure about stator size)
pulley or gear ratio: it’s a hub motor so 1:1

If I asked you to look at it from a longevity standpoint ( longest cell life) would you suggest the same?

Which iOS app works with any version of Ack? Xmatic?

You brake as much as you need. At half speed 30 motor amps translate to 15 battery amps. At quarter speed 60 motor amps become 15 battery amps. Generally over 50 motor braking amps on 2wd you fly or wheels lock up.

The only moment you can carelessly use the full battery braking value is at top speed (like, 90-95% duty cycle). Usually if you need to slam on the brakes at that speed, you’re about to die. Between you spending a few months in a hospital or a few cycles taken off your battery total life, which one will it be?

For easier understanding: if it’s a 60km/hr top speed at full charge board, half speed means 30km/hr. Slamming the brakes from that speed with -30 total battery regen amps will stop you surprisingly quick

4 Likes

So my buddy has a mid-drive ebike. He wants to use a VESC so that he can get the benefits of configuration and customisation. He also wants to be able to use VESC peripherals like a Metr or Davega. The issue is that with a mid-drive ebike he still has the gearing available, so measuring motor rpm doesnt equal wheel RPM. Due to that, the speed that the vesc sees would only be accurate in one of his 8 gears.

So im wondering if there is a way to take an external hall sensor input to get wheel speed and communicate that to the VESC, so that it will use that value instead of using motor RPM and a fixed gear ratio to do the math.

3 Likes

Loaded hubs are 75kv

2 Likes

Yes.

You can pretty much set the braking as high as you want from a riding perspective. As long as you weigh around what a normal human weighs, carry around what a normal backpack weighs, and travel at normal electric longboard speeds, you shouldn’t really be damaging the cells. If any of those assumptions is wrong then maybe look into this aspect a tad more. If a car is towing you, and you’re trying to slow it down with your esk8 brakes, then you might damage the cells…

2 Likes