Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

What’s the best way to change deck color? Got the enclosure mounted for my daughter and she’s begging for a color change. Would it be acceptable to sand down the finish and add a tint dye to water,alcohol, or stain? And then finish in a spar urethane?

For example:

2 Likes

Was also thinking about the SK3 - 6374-192KV from HobbyKing. Does 6364 v. 6374 make a significant difference?

Also with the 2 batteries in series, my current setup is practically 6s. Both of the motors though are recommended at 10-12s. Would I really need to upgrade? If I don’t, how exactly would it affect the build’s torque?

Yes

That motor is very difficult to work on if you ever need to.

No, you can run them at 6S but your top speed only will be limited.

How fast do you ride?

Well, I’ve barely gotten very far with the single-motor 5055.
I’m 200lbs, and really overestimated what I can do w/ that motor.

1 Like

Which one of the SK3 are difficult? Are both of them?

Yes, both of them

I’m 215lbs (98kg) and I would barely get home on a single 5055, and be kicking some of the uphills.

Single 5065 maybe not kicking but uphill super slow, maybe kicking some steep hills, prob not

Single 6355, much much better but brakes are still weak

Single 6374 now that’s what I’m talking about, brakes great now

Single 6380 :eggplant: :sweat_drops:

Then dual 5055 is going to be even better than single 6374

dual 5065 is going to be even better than single 6380.

dual 6355 is the best in my opinion

dual 6374 is too heavy for marginal improvement over dual 6355

dual 6380 way too heavy

4 Likes

Awesome. @b264

I guess then for a single 6374, where would be the best place to buy.
Looking at the TorqueBoards 6374 190kv motor, but what would be some other ‘worth-it’ alternatives?

(well, got blocked for the no. of replies in one day. probably just edit this one post over and over again for today)

1. done. from Washington D.C., United States
1 Like

Has anyone posted the measurement / diagram of the Baja G4x parts? I.E. revers-engineer it?
Specifically the suspension

If you put your country on your profile, we can be more helpful.

1 Like

will do, USA Los Angeles Hollywood, swimming pools, movie stars

Use unicorn spit! The results are fucking sexy and there are tons of options.

6 Likes

Whoa. She would love that. Definitely need to read on it some before showing her.

4 Likes

I lived in DC for thirty years, move to LA

The Torqueboards 6374 is very good.

The Maytech 6374 are good and available in lots of places. I personally would not get the “sealed” version. Sealed just means no air holes in the back of the can/rotor. They still aren’t sealed. But that sealed can in my experience does not adhere to the shaft really well and can slip.

Here you can see a comparison.

Not present on that list though is the torqueboards 6374 which is probably what I would buy in the US.

While I agree the SK3 6374 are hard to work on, they have one major advantage:

They have a skirt bearing, that supports the can at both ends. That means that the can can’t be loosened or knocked askew by hard vibrations or impacts.

Most other motors have the can is only supported at one end, and that means the can or shaft can be bent or damaged by harsh treatment, especially longer motors. 6355 and under are generally okay, but 6364 and longer have more issues.

2 Likes

Anyone know what the deal is with this pulley? Its 20T which I ordered custom from I forget where a while back, but I cant thread the set screw through all the way because there’s actually metal blocking it from doing so at the bottom of the hole. The pulley has the words “drive flex” written on it–is this some sort of technology that’s supposed to lock the pulley in place without driving a hold all the way through? If so it’s not working on my motor shaft

Sorry for the quality but you can see theres metal blocking the set screw from threading all the way through. That’s not the bottom of the screw

I figured it out there’s a tiny set screw stuck in there, just on one side. Stuck so hard I just stripped 2 hex keys trying to get it out :pleading_face:

What’s the wide wheel bearings serial? The ones that leave a little lip for the pulley to grab on