Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Isn’t that what heat shrinks for?

Works. Thanks for the tip. Buttoning up my first build and going overkill to make sure everything’s protected

Heat shrink can resist some amount of abrasion, yes.
The goal is to prevent any abrasion from ever happening.
Abrasion prevention trumps abrasion resistance.

4 Likes

Hello, I’m building my first DIY board. My question is how would you cut a hole in the enclosure for your heat sink? what tool would you use? also how would you seal it to help water proof it?

Edit - depends what it’s made of.
If composite: Drill then hacksaw then file
Epoxy, butyl or neutral cure sealant

1 Like

+ Rubber gasket or foam (closed cell)

Depends on material, i have used a dremel for mine

1 Like

If it’s ABS then just use a pocket knife after drilling some holes. I’m not joking. Don’t cut yourself. You can also use a hacksaw. Or you can rough it in with a hacksaw and use a knife and file for the fine details.

If it’s fiberglass then wear PPE and cut it with a hacksaw or coping saw outdoors. Use a file to clean it up.

And for either one, use West System 650 epoxy to seal it up. They need to be cleaned with alcohol and lightly sanded so the new epoxy will adhere.

2 Likes

Does anyone use the dog trailer with your board?

6 Likes

My dog runs next to me like a real dog

3 Likes

Your dog is still young.
mine already 15 years old.

4 Likes

It would seem that you need a new dog, and i need to check my privilege.

Kudos to you for including your old boy on the ride :call_me_hand:

3 Likes

The things we do for our dogs…

@rafaelinmissouri made something similar

3 Likes

MakerX DV6 or Xenith (v1) for a 12S mountain board?

Price is irrelevant bc I already bought both

Xenith had no issues when I had it on the landyatchz build.
Does the DV6 have roll to start? No that it matters much with bindings…

1 Like

I would go for the DV6 due to the higher heat capacity ( I think, will be doing comparison tests sometime within the next month)

No eswitch though so loop key necessary

3 Likes

DV6 doesn’t come with any sort of switch at all? Weird.
Good to know

1 Like

No we asked them not to put one on it lol

5 Likes

I feel like a makerx dv6 pro with an antispark and Bluetooth for like $350 would be an awesome esc that would rival the xenith and stormcore in price with theoretically better performance and thermal capacity.

3 Likes

Yeah maybe they should have added that to the DV6 pro instead of just switching the mosfets

2 Likes

Finder motor? These look like the new design flipsky motors. Free slow boat shipping. Anyone heard of finder motor? Is it the same stuff?

God I feel so stupid asking this:

Right, so heatsink and ESC…

How does this work? Do you just screw it on? Or do you apply some sort of heat conducting paste like you would with computer processors?