Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

When y’all paying $5/L for gas I’ll be laughing

$18.927/gal

:frowning:
I think I fried my BMS.
I plugged in the charger into the board, it sparked, connected it to the wall outlet and now it won’t charge.
Charger is an LED Driver with a wattmeter attached. Did some charging yesterday but didn’t want to leave it over night - it charged perfectly with 50.0V at 3.2A.

Any suggestions? I guess I’ll have to finde a new BMS, huh?

Sounds like you may have cooked the charger rather than the bms?

I don’t know shit about LED drivers, but i always make sure my charger is plugged to the wall and turned on before I connect to the board…

Does the driver still put out the correct voltage?

1 Like

Yup.

1 Like

Halp me

:pleading_face:

According to the wattmeter it puts out the correct voltage but no current.
A Multimeter confirmed: there is no current going from the charger to the BMS.
any way how I can figure out if the charger is broken or the BMS? (i don’t have a second charger or board)

Is there any way I can connect both Flipsky VX1 receiver and bluetooth module to a single flipsky fsesc 4.2? It seems that both use uart ports so I don’t know if I could just connect the controller’s receiver to ppm port or use a split uart or something.
Thanks

There is a ppm pin exposed on the vx1 receiver.

1 Like

1 Like

Humm and does it affect somehow any characteristics? I mean, if I connect it that way, can I still use the controller as always?
Thank you for the response btw

1 Like

Dunno… I don’t have a vx1. I got that diagram from the product page on flipskys website

1 Like

Yes you absolutely can. I believe using UART over PPM granted you one small feature. Was it reverse? Could be reverse but that doesn’t matter since you have reverse via the vesc itself.

2 Likes

Awesome, I’ll go that way for now untill I buy a better ESC. Thank you! :smiling_face:

1 Like

Does anyone have a good voltage regulator to go from 12s to 5v?

I’ve only found really big ones or ones on aliex. Looking for something small and reliable with a few amps on the output. The pololu ones have a max input of 50v, do esk8s see voltage spikes from braking that would fry it?

2 Likes

Quite a few buck converters available from Digikey or Mouser, or any of the other big electronic component retailers. They all have some kind of parametric search, just pick your desired input and output voltages and currents, and browse the resulting list.

3 Likes

Check here. If it’s not here, please add it when you find it.

This is the same issue as living at the top of a hill, charging a full battery, and trying to brake while at ~50.4V.
TLDR: Don’t

Pretty easy to only charge to 50V - prolongs your battery life, cell cycles, etc etc.

It would be interesting to know what kind of extra head room those Pololu regulators have. I’d be shocked if it was fried at 50.01V. They’re definitely higher quality than the super cheap alibaba ones.

2 Likes

How much current? Less than an amp these aren’t great but also not terrible. I’ve only had one shit the bed and I’ve used probably ten of them or more.

LM2596HV

This is adjustable though, and not fixed at 5V

2 Likes

I’ll take a look, thanks!

1 Like

Will add if I find what I’m looking for!