Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

For me personally ali shipping has been spot on so far. They did come earlier than expected but not by very much. Often times spending a few bucks for faster shipping makes a big difference, though not sure how well it scales with heavy items.

2 Likes

So i’ve successfully moved from the Flipsky Dual FSESC 6.6 to the Stormcore 60D+. I’m running 2 x Flipsky 6374’s on 2x 6s 10ah Turnigy LIPO’s.

I kept the same same motor current settings (60A current max & -60A max brake, Abs max 150A, Battery max 30A and Battery Regen -10A) that I had with my flipsky esc

The only other setting other that is tweaked other than battery cutoffs is the Max ERPM (reduced to 60000/-60000).

Do these still seem like the best setup now I’m running Stormcore 60D+ or should I look at increasing any of them?

For additional context, I’m running 8in Pneumies and riding mixture of roads, paths, grass and dirt.

Had my first test ride today, no concerns, just wanting to ensure I get the most out of my upgraded hardware and don’t risk doing any damage to anything

is it still the summer of 2020? endless summer… :slight_smile:

1 Like

For safety, you shouldn’t mess with the maximum ERPM settings. If the ERPM limit ever gets exceeded (like if you were coasting fast down a hill), you will lose all brakes until the ERPMs drop back below the limit.
That’s super duper dangerous.

3 Likes

Those ERPM limit defaults should be set by the hardware manufacturer based on the hardware and essentially left alone by end users for esk8 usage.

If you were making an airplane or something and your propeller had an rpm limit, they could maybe be useful, but even then the duty cycle might be a better adjustment because in a steep dive nothing would stop the prop from exceeding that limit if it was able to be exceeded.

If you limit based on duty cycle then the controller will actually limit the motor erpm.

2 Likes

Thanks both of you for the same advice. I think I was advised to reduce it from the default 1000000 on here last year with my old esc. It looks like the default erpm is the same regardless. To be clear, I’m talking about the settings in the vesc tool after running the detection wizard. Should I be overriding them with a setting recommended by LaCroix? There was no guidance or documentation with the Stormcore

1 Like

The Stormcore firmware should contain the correct default erpm limits for its hardware.

2 Likes

Ah ok, understood.

Do my motor current settings look ok for my setup?

I have a Xenith V1, 12s8p p42a pack, 6385 v5 reachers 170kv, 15/62 belt drive. I was wondering if you good people could tell me max settings for this setup for a race night. I don’t have a screenshot of current settings as I am at work sorry

The battery cells themselves should be capable of at least 30A each, which would mean a total pack output of 240A, assuming the battery is constructed to handle that much output.

That’s way more current the Xenith can handle though. The V2 is advertised as being able to handle 160A continuous, and 80A per motor.

2 Likes

Management will fix it soon I’ve been told. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Are these reasonable settings though? I’ve been told to set limits lower than the VESC can handle (specifically with the xenith actually) as if there’s a current spike it would fry the VESC

That’s a fair question, and I don’t know. Some folks with more Xenith knowledge/experience should chime in.

I’ve run 70 without issue.

1 Like

Can you tell me if the shop ESK8.de 1 ( http://www.hellray.de/ 3 ) is still viable ?
I am upgrading my son’s RAZOR 300-E scooter and ordered a Vedder anti spark ( in stock ) on ESK8.de.
The payment has been done and debited from my bank account on 26/03 but it’s still waiting to be processed …
I sent 3 mail but no answer …
It could the scam not …
Thanks

Thier site hasn’t changed in a couple of years :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I’ve noticed something strange recently with my two Tattu 6S LiPos - the 4th cells seems to always read slightly higher voltage (~-.04V) after discharging. Normally I’d attribute that to slight differences in IR, but to have the same group read high on two separate batteries seems unusual. They’re normally connected in series to make 12S, so they drain at more or less the same rate. The only difference is one has a basic voltage alarm stuck to the balance plug during use. The alarm isn’t super accurate in voltage readings, but it also shows group 4 as high. The batteries still balance fine, so is this normal?

That’s reverse sag from charging. @Battery_Mooch did a piece a while ago explaining it. Basically when you charge your batteries sag up in voltage the same way as they sag down when discharging. You need to let the batteries sit idle for a couple hours for them to return to their “true” resting voltage if that’s what you want to see. Discharging the batteries will also erase the charging sag until the next cycle.

1 Like

Charging is irrelevant here, the differences only appear after discharge, not charge. Plus even if it were reverse sag, why would it only affect a single series cell in the entire battery, and in particular just the 4th one on both batteries?

Normal? No.
A problem? I don’t think so unless the voltage spread between the cells at rest quickly starts getting larger.

Weird that it’s cell #4 on both packs. You used two different methods of measuring the voltage so it’s not like a single meter, with a miscalibrated channel 4, was being used.

I can’t think of any way that two cells that end up at slightly higher voltages (perhaps due to slightly higher capacities?) would end up as cell number four even in two packs made one after the other on an assembly line.

Hmm….wait…unless it’s something really specific like each cell for a pack gets picked from a different box or stack of cells on the assembly line and the stack of cells used for cell #4 happens to have slightly better or higher capacity cells. Just guessing here though.