Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Thanks, I’ll give that a go but I’ll look at the exterior connections first and see if I get lucky.I’m now wondering if it’s the dodgy sensor that has been stopping my VX2 from displaying speed and kms etc.
Am I right in thinking if I have no luck fixing the sensor it doesn’t make too much difference to riding given the other motor runs sensored so will start from stop?

1 Like

Not really, you might feel a bit of gring’dy motion for a second but once the sensored motor that works well stats turning the sensorless (effectively) motor will rotate fine, assuming you have more than a 1:1 gear ratio

1 Like

Alright so having foam beneath the Velcro will be helpful, I was mostly gonna put foam around the batteries, what about foam on the bottom of the board so when the enclosure goes on it’ll add extra padding or is that overkill?

Oh noes.
I dropped my battery and ripped out this wire from my BMS.

Is this JST XH 2.5?

Looks like it’s back to the electronics store to get some XH pin sockets if so.

Oh I thought you were talking about sandwiching the foam between the enclosure and the electronics, not in the Velcro itself. I wouldn’t put foam between the Velcro, the foam would be mechanically weak compared to the adhesive, and the Velcro itself should dampen vibrations a bit. The foam at the bottom would put less strain on the Velcro but add strain to the enclosure, so I guess it depends on which you trust more to hold up.

1 Like

Measure the pin to pin distance.

2 Likes

Or measure 10 of them and divide by 10 since it can be tough to be accurate with just 1 pin distance

1 Like

So how do I get into this thing? Just want to look at the sensor connections but not sure how to open this up. Which holes (giggidy) and screw (giggidy) or Allen key?

Is this a Flipsky BH motor?

Sorry didn’t include the photo with the details

You take off the Pulley
Then you have to take off the circlip and 1-2 washers/shims
grafik

for the circlip you either need specific tool or get needle nose pliers.

once all are removed you mount the motor to your motor mount and start (carefully) pulling on the motor Can/bell until it is completely off. Be careful of the strong magnet, it will try to snap back into place, also make sure to pull it out straight, as it has to go through a bearing, otherwise it’ll get stuck.
The motor can comes out alongside the shaft.

grafik

i wouldn’t recommend you to assemble it like they do it on the video with just your bare hands, you’ll have a bad time if the motor snaps together and any part of your hand is in between.

3 Likes

thanks for this, was looking for a good vid, will watch that to know what to expect

Take one bearing apart (check youtube for instructions on that) and then knock the other bearing out. Then put the first bearing back together inside the wheel, and then knock it out.

Is there any good reason whatsoever to buy these overpriced motors from Hoyt? I keep eyeing them and I imagine they’re fantastic. I really just want someone to tell me that I’d be stupid to get them because otherwise I feel like I might be stupid and get them…

1 Like

I don’t think enough people are doing enough testing with diy to say one way or the other. They could just be overpriced or they could have some special sauce that makes them worth it. Don’t think anyone knows the answer yet.

1 Like

Damn okay thanks. I’m hoping for that sauce. I wonder if there’s some guarantee on their lifetime or something. I’d hope there would be at that price. Might be worth sending off an email. But anyway, I will continue to eye them and maybe one day impulse buy them like I do with all my esk8 parts.

1 Like

If you can afford the best, buy the best. Plus I bet Hoyt will back them like no one else would.

2 Likes

To be fair Hoyt has done a lot of good for esk8, from the puck to introducing a 5" pneumies to their essentially perfect belt drive motor mounts. They make a lot of quality stuff. Basically the kind of company Massive Stator wishes it was.

I don’t even own anything Hoyt I just see and observe how they conduct themselves.

2 Likes

can I replace 2.0 JST plugs with 2.5’s to swap over to the bigger connector or will I have issues? The gauge is so similar I figured it would be fine?

I 100% agree. I really like the company, especially the sustainable design of their stuff and their aversion to plastic. The whole company just screams quality too. It makes me think/know that the motors are worth it. But I also know that if I get the motors they will lose half their value when I immediately scratch them with a screwdriver or something.

1 Like