Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Whoops! I misread the connector, plugged it in the right way but told you guys the wrong pins. Yeah black only ever went to ground, and the pin in question (white) is going to H3/CS with a 21ohm resistance

1 Like

Just realized I miss-reported the issue :man_facepalming: fixed the comment with an edit

White is temperature sensor! It should not go in h3.
If the colour coding is standard, red is 5v, black ground, white temperature and yellow/green/orange the hall pins. Please don’t kill your vescs

2 Likes

:arrow_up: this

I recommend not even using sensors at all, they just increase the risk of failure

I cut the sensor cable off the motors and never have sensor problems.

this is the motor I’m using and the cable two over from gnd is white. There are no yellow cables.

What happens when you just leave that whole cable unplugged and set it up in FOC / HFI sensor mode?

My guess is that you don’t even need that cable at all, and it only adds liability.

1 Like

Hey one of my P group has been destroyed by my smart BMS and I’m still trying to figure that out on my other thread but I was wondering if I could just replace the 3 cells with 3 new cells? And if so could I buy 15 instead and convert it from 12s3p to 12s4p by adding a cell to each P group?

You’d be better off converting it to 11S4P or 11S5P and leave the dead P-group off.

1 Like

Which BMS?

bump.

edit…well isn’t that the fucking point of conformal coating?

Designed to provide effective insulation against electrical shorts and harsh environments

1 Like

Hi, I am a beginner with VESC’s, and one of mine is not putting out 5v, thus the halls don’t work. In the schematics of the VESC6 (I am using a superfoc) I am not able to find the part where 5v are generated. Could anyone please point me at what part outputs the 5v? Also, are there any other possibilities why I don’t get 5v on the line?

1 Like

I built a dji fpv 5inch quad, but it wasn’t cheap. I made a parts list with all the tools and supplies if you want it

1 Like

I think I’ll go smaller than 5 inch :slight_smile:

yep, but ideally if you want to prevent potential shorting you have to do 7-10 coats :roll_eyes:
i usually just do 1 or 2 to prevent moisture/ humidity
if you get water in there it’s not safe imo to put escs there

1 Like

Thats good idea, since you are wanting to not spend a lot of money

1 Like

I recently cleaned my first set of bearings (lame, I know. I used to just buy new ones, but I decided to try and do it myself this time around), and applied 3 drops of speed cream to them afterward.

I think they’re fine, but the 4 wheels that they’re in all sound different when spinning… So I’m second guessing myself again :sunglasses:

I don’t hear that scratchy hiss of a dry or bad bearing… Should I be good to go?

I see ‘white lithium grease’ thrown around a lot when bearings are mentioned, would this be superior to speed cream?

2 Likes

either should work fine if you get the bearings good and clean and the bearings and races haven’t been damaged by neglect…

1 Like

Alright :thinking:

Definitely havnt been neglected, was just kinda bored and went and did it.

1 Like

If’n you get REALLY bored buy an ultra-sonic cleaner, some isopropyl alcohol, and clean them bearings right!

:crazy_face: :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

2 Likes

How reliable were the OG Focboxes? I have the v1.6 and just wanted to know if I should worry about some common issues that people have had with these