Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

How reliable were the OG Focboxes? I have the v1.6 and just wanted to know if I should worry about some common issues that people have had with these

Don’t pull out the canbus wire while they’re powered on, make sure they’re nice and situated so they can’t come out on their own either.

Otherwise :boom:

4 Likes

Been reading up on flex decks and if they are good or not for esk8, but I’m still a little confused. Flex decks are good for cruising but not high speeds? There are boards out there that can go 28mph and have flex. The roads around me are a little rough. I’m going to use a stiff deck but with have the orangutang cugama 85mm, so will it “equal out”

1 Like

Yea I’ve heard that around in the old forums. Luckily I’m running split ppm so I don’t think that will be much of an issue. Anything other than canbus issues that I should know about?

1 Like

Yeah I let it cure, I think it wasn’t strong enough to hold one motor. After I unscrewed the other motor, blue didn’t do it either. I cleaned them before reapplying and waited cure time. I think red is doing the trick, but if I have to do anything I don’t have access to a torch right now. But motor pulleys became the next issue. Put red on them as well.

Flex decks are great for carving and cruising up to about 25mph I’d say. After that sudden shifts in weight can give you unpredictable maneuverability at speed. Kind of like a car with worn out shocks after you hit a dip on the freeway. You get a kind of trampoline effect.

For rough roads pneumatics are the fix if you plan on going fast. If they’re only a little rough you can probably get away with softer thane like caguamas

1 Like

How do you know what HW version of an OG focbox is? I see 1.4 1.6 1.7

Do we have any original reference docs for them anywhere?

It’s printed on the PCB, usually under the QC sticker

2 Likes

Anyone happen to know which 2200mAh cells Metroboard uses in their slim packs? Specifically discharge amps? They have mysterious paper insulation…

Okay, I was thinking about going with the bamboo flex deck from skateshred, but I wasn’t sure how it handles semi rough roads. I don’t think i’ll go past 25mph since I’m no pro. Do you know of any medium flex decks under $60 or $50?

For that price range skateshred is a good place to look. Otherwise I’d scope out a deck you like on muirskate that has some flex and then hunt for a used version on OfferUp or something

1 Like

Okay, I’ll look at that, thanks

1 Like

There’s also a ton of decks on amazon that are flexy and cheap, but they can be a bit sketchy for esk8 and can sometimes snap at the drop thru cut outs or mounting holes if put thru enough stress. I’d recommend adding a couple layers of fiberglass if you go that route

1 Like

Is that because a new cell would act differently than the rest? I’ve been searching the battery builders club thread and it seems like it’s not to uncommon to do. Also it’s an LTT/Xiaoxiang 12s BMS

I was specifically looking at this one

isn’t bamboo which I heard broke with longboard decks from this company

I haven’t tried any decks from skateshred myself so I’m unfamiliar with any issues with the bamboo. The flat head deck says it’s an 8 ply maple so that should be pretty stiff and good for stability. It does seem awfully flat tho, looks like maybe some mild rocker is there but not much to lock your feet into or help with lean.
That other deck you had linked looked like a loaded vanguard clone with a less aggressive camber. That one is a bit larger which can be a plus for fitting bigger batteries and maybe even fit some of the vanguard enclosures already available, but you’ll have to double check that. It will definitely be flexy tho looking at the layup they use.
It really depends on what you’re looking to do with the board. The flat head will be better for speed but possibly uncomfortable to ride after awhile. The other will be more comfortable to ride and more fun at lower speeds :man_shrugging:

Edit:
I think a deck like this may be a better all around fit for an esk8 if you’re still undecided

Yes, conformal coating is an insulator more so than air.

I don’t plan on going past 25mph and i’ll most likely be using for cruising, carving yk and long rides. Will this deck be too close to the ground tho?

Go for comfort then for sure. Larger decks with some light flex will probably suit you best.
Check out some of the Landyachtz Switchblade 40 builds on here for a similar reference to the “bottlenose” deck on skateshred they seem pretty close in terms of drop height and shape

That deck is too much out of my price range, so I think i’ll go with the bottlenose one from skateshred since thats similar