Newbee helical 4GS gear drive!

You can, you can replace it with ABS or PLA pad, make it as rigid. But yeah…more stress to the gear.

I will be taking my board with TPU printed shock pads for a ride this weekend- will report back how it goes. Upon comparison to the stock ones they feel basically the same. I printed one set at 100% infill and another at 80%.

3 Likes

Put 23 miles on my TPU printed pads and they held up without any issue :+1:t2: I had one “standard” one and one “flower” type design I did (just to fill in some of the gap)

9 Likes

Just wondering to know before using the 4GS, whats you average consumption on your pervious set up? Because me and @2xbass are getting super low consumption with 4GS on

1 Like

I don’t have anything else to compare to unfortunately. This is a brand new build with this setup. This ride was about 23 miles with not a ton of regenerative braking, pretty flat with a couple uphill spots. I’m about 215-220lb riding weight. It was also super windy with a lot of headwind which I would not be surprised if that made the board work a bit harder. My last ride that was a bit slower speed cruising (15-20) I got around 17-18wh/mi.

Hi All.
Thank at first to All discuss here.
First info to share is that in professional application in automotive industry is often using Berulub FR43 to grease plastic gears, I found alternatives via fast google search ShinEtsu Silicone Grease.
Next to share is that will be great to start evaluate noise is transmission system correct way. Unfortunately for sound is just one measurable unit decibel (dB) but this is too les to evaluate sound. Next and very important is sound colour which is defined by frequency. So theoretically we can have the same value dB sounds with different color, which caused subjective conviction that one of the sound is louder than other. This knowledge is using in automotive in case of tuning sound of central locking for example. Therefore also for example sound is recording in acoustic chambers most close to user. So in case of electric skateboard I can image that microphone shoul be situated for example in 1,8m high and 0.5m on side in riding direction. In comparison of plastic gear and metal gear or chain drive, most of users will like plastic sound because of more low frequency instead of metal contact which generate higher frequency. I hope soon will be able somebody compare it on professional way. Sure metal parts will have longer lifetime than plastic, and less failure in extreme condition,therefore military vehicles, fireman vehicles and other special unit vehicles are using simple metal and mechanical door latches missions comfort functions. Also plastic gears are cheaper therefore nice sound in automotive is often using like advertising for something cheaper, anyway buyer have high class feeling.
On the other side must say that Newbee helical 4GS is interesting design together with coupling/bumper can have also good lifetime. Will see.

3 Likes

Actually I think especially given your weight, those numbers are very good. As an example I weigh about 140 lb and did a recent 70 km ride which was more cruising with an average speed of 30 km/h any my consumption was 10.6 km/h (same on Metr) on 9” tires. Your 17 Wh/mi is 10.57 Wh/km.

3 Likes

What kind of way would you like to see it evaluated?

1 Like

2nd batch now is available!

14 Likes

loving the new logo

1 Like

Any changes between batch one and two?

2 Likes

I am really excited to get these running on my Gravel Flux!!!

4 Likes

Not much, we made some tolerance changes , easier for people assemble and disassemble.

2 Likes

Will get them out this week! :v:

2 Likes

We offer 10mm D shaft now :wink:

9 Likes

If anyone is curious about gear drive sizes, here are the Newbee 3.45 and 5.0 drives with the Apex Jump Drive in between. The Jump Drive is 5.5 but I believe the 4.0 is the same size.

16 Likes

Is 10mm keyway not possible?

1 Like

It’s worth mentioning that the Newbee are pretty slim too, they look pretty small on the board

Also it’s worth mentioning, it’s 5.0 ratio not 5.5

1 Like

Yes thanks for that. I corrected my post. I was getting confused with the Jump Drive which is 5.5.

3 Likes

When we getting some black friday sales i need to grab some of dem hubz lol :goat: btw is there gonna be anodized versions of the gear drive?

4 Likes