Newbee helical 4GS gear drive!

Yeah mine are like that on my MBS trucks. The flat side is facing back and up. When I first saw the clamps I was wondering if perhaps I had the wrong ones but they were correct.

3 Likes

Same :joy: I scratched my head for a bit while test fitting them but eventually they fell into place. Took a little coercing on my oil slick MBS trucks (probably trying to clear the axle grub screw).

Finally got my set up and running. First impression… new favorite drive.
Would put it on par with finality in terms of noise + smoothless.
Free roll is decent as well but not as good as straight cut moon.

4 Likes

For those curious about free roll and noise.
For the introductory price which I am assuming is no longer available assuming there isn’t longevity issue, this drive is a great buy

2 Likes

Take some miles to wearing in, and you will see😉

1 Like

Just curious how others are doing with their 4GS installs? My 5.0 is doing great. I just ordered the 38/11 for another board and also have Apex Jump Drives arriving today which will be an interesting comparison.

4 Likes

Mine has been pretty good so far, it’s gotten louder over time, presumably the grease has worked its way onto the sides of the casing rather than staying completely in the teeth.

Other than that, I’ve ridden them a few hundred miles, and they’re still nice and smooth

4 Likes

I love how my 55/11 rides. I did somehow nuke a shock absorbing pad… I only have around 20 miles on my new board. Newbee helped me out and I was able to print a new TPU pad and get going again.

4 Likes

@Ean.esk8 what do you anticipate would happen if this compliant star thing was removed and replaced with something rigid? would the gears die in a situation like whatever happened to @AlexB ?

2 Likes

Is there a particular reason you would want to alter the design like that?

I don’t think anything good could possibly come out of that, personally. If it doesn’t break something it for sure makes it less resilient

2 Likes

i would assume that star piece is supposed to absorb the shock load the wheel put into the drive to minimize the chance of breaking. having something rigid in place could potientially increase the chance of gear breaking.

my 2c

4 Likes

They absorb pad is mean for absorb amount of torque that happening in instant, also it can fix amount of tolerance when people assemble the drives to the truck, especially not all trucks are CNC’d…so overall make it as an soft pad can extend the gear dirve use-life.

2 Likes

For the reason why the polyurethane pad would break…i already explained to the @AlexB.

This is the hand moulded pad, which the quality might get effect by temperatures, proportion of the furmula etc…i will include some spares for the new orders.

4 Likes

That would depend on the grease, you might need some sticky kind grease to keep them in teeth.

2 Likes

Yeah, I understand the general purpose of the star things. My apologies, I think I phrased my question poorly.

What I meant to ask is:

How close to the limit of the gear’s strength are the “absorbing stars” designed to fail? Significantly earlier, or just slightly earlier?

I imagine it could be hard to get it really close given the inherent inconsistencies of FDM printed plastic.

4 Likes

So no one has totally broken one of these yet?

3 Likes

Those “star thing” is made for wear out, so if the star thing broke, doesn’t mean it is close to break the gear…the absorb pad is an additional protection.

2 Likes

What causes the “wear”? Cyclical loading fatigue?

1 Like

I believe what causes the wear is the cyclical Impact Loading. As you know the coupling design is sort of soft connection, if the power that transmit in instant…the absorb pad will get deform, you can consider it as a squeeze in between the wheel & gear drive. And it happens every time when you brake hard or accelerate hard.

1 Like

Would it be fine to ride without it? I would assume it means more stress on the parts?