Finding the right Grease for IDEA Gear Drive?

One of my 2 drives started to have quite alot of resistannce. added some Grease (which ive used on other bearings (though now the mixture looks almost black - prehaps indicating that the grease was not correct for the material of the larger gear)

Ive got a few options in house, any ideas for the correct grease/ and amounts?

1 Like

Sure there’s not anything grinding? If the grease turns black, and only on one side + resistance your motor pinion might be grinding the case? Ive hade that happen to me at least with the same deal with the black grease.

Different geardrive though

1 Like

when did you last service the drive?

1 Like

Could be that your pinion got loose on the shaft, ive had this on one etoxx drive once. Pinion got loose and shifted against the case lid which it was slowly grinding away. It was hard to hear the sound though, I mostly felt some resistance.

1 Like

This is the grease I use in Idea’s geardrives. I get it from Ace hardware.
3.5 years on his drives. I do service them or add grease when necessary.

This should help You. Newbee helical 4GS gear drive! - #276 by Facko

Thats sorta what happened. Though there are two grub screws for the Pinion. - should there also been locttie. The grub screws or at least 1 of the two comes loose easily. (pics would help had youhad examples?)

2 Likes

You definitely want loctite on both screws and also on the shaft for the pinion. What fixed it for me was cleaning everything thoroughly with alcohol, then add a small amount of green loctite 638 on the shaft. Slide pinion on and add the set screws with blue loctite 243 applied. Been running 3 years without problems since.

If you ever need to remove the pinion again you need a blowtorch though, but its not a big deal. Just heat the pinion till smoke starts to appear and then take a thick towel to pull the pinion off while its still hot.

Here you can see when my pinion slid off

2 Likes