Need Some Help, Still Learning

Hi everybody. To preface, I got into the esk8 community last year when I got sick of having to walk my regular board up hills (I have a pretty hilly college campus). My dad convinced me to get a cheap board from China rather than build one myself just to see if I’d be into it. Now, I know I definitely am. Only problem is, my current board has had parts fail twice now and I keep having to replace them, getting them shipped each time. I’d rather just build my own higher quality board and just call it a day. So, I need a board that’ll get me up hills and around some decently nasty roads in LA. I’m targeting a speed around 50km/h or 30 mi/h, I don’t see myself ever really needing to go much faster than that. I’ll throw out a ballpark budget of $1500. The more I can save the better though, obviously!

Thank you all for the help, I’ve looked at everything for a couple of weeks now on the old forum and found only recently that this one is much more active, therefore I have a rather short activity time on this account. I’m not just randomly sending out this message with 15 minutes of research :slight_smile: If anybody could help with a battery system/the rest that’d be helpful as well, though I figured I’d focus on learning more about those after making these choices.

I’m linking a Spreadsheet here, if you have additional suggestions just throw parts you might recommend in as comments. Since posting I’ve made some good progress, huge thanks to @BillGordon, @Kellag, @torqueboards and @eBoosted!

4 Likes

Welcome to our funfest of insanity

There is nothing wrong with going with the full Torqueboards build, Dex has got a ton of quality stuff and it will last you a long time. You might be pushing the 1500 with pnuematics but you can part it out and see. If you catch all the TB deals and other Black Friday stuff, you will have some serious value for your money lol

Front mounted vs reverse is kind of a preference thing. I think they end up being protected the same amount either way but other people might disagree.

Batteries are kind of expensive, there are several builders on here that are good, or you could go with lipos for a cheaper route. Again, Hobbyking should be having a killer sale, we will have to see. The most common voltage is 10s, probably safest for the cheaper hardware.

I still recommend loopkey because it is basically bulletproof as long as you always plug it in all the way. Vescs area different story, there has been so much going on lately it is hard to keep track of what is most reliable. I would probably go with two maytech singles or two flipsky singles? Hard to say for sure, maybe someone else can chime in.

3 Likes

Get an Evo deck, get an @eBoosted enclosure, get a battery from @thisguyhere, get a unity from @EnertionBoardsUSA, get a drivetrain from @haggyboard.timo and a Hoyt puck. You’ll have a perfect board

13 Likes

You forgot the Hoyt puck.

6 Likes

Thanks for the input! I’ll try to learn as much as I can from you all! Honestly if things start getting real expensive it won’t be that big of a deal, I suppose I can also focus my Christmas around getting parts. Not like anything else has my interest like boarding rn.

2 Likes

Fixed thanks

2 Likes

We have successfully spread the sickness to another victim!

Welcome, Dylan!

6 Likes

That is a good problem to have lol

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks! I guess all of my work is done for me lol. Why the Evo deck over the Hummie?

2 Likes

This is a solid af build :ok_hand:

1 Like

more stablility at higher speeds

2 Likes

More stability, better concave, much easier to get a hold of, more enclosure options, looks better imo

3 Likes

Awesome, noted. That’s a serious amount of help in literally a couple of comments. Thank you so much, is it all good if I let you know if I ever have any questions?

2 Likes

Course, if you go with tried and true parts there’s a lot of knowledge and it’s easy to guide a build. I’m sure you’ll be happy

2 Likes

Just to throw a spanner in the works.

I’ve had both evo and hummie and variants of the hummie.

I prefer the hummie deck under 25mph, which is likely most of your riding. People like to claim they are speed demons who bomb around at 35mph all day with thier lips flapping in the wind (vaginal lips). But the truth is those people are fewer than reported and they still find themselves riding slower more than faster due to external elements.

From what I’ve gathered the tb40 is using the same mold but stiffer, so it won’t feel the same and the hummie is hard to get because the order from aca needs 50 decks MOQ. It’s mad that people can’t just buy the deck that John had made off the shelf, most of our vendors know where to get it (if you dont message me and I will give you all the details, mold number, contact info and pricing).

Hummie deck feels amazing, if only it wasn’t so hard to get. This is Charlotte DeGrange from high school all over again, I just wanted to bang her… it never happened.

6 Likes

I love my hummie but have always wanted to try this Evo everyone raves about.

No issues at speed for me. The hummie deck foot drops are great and the battery cutout keeps it slim. Several enclosure options there as well.

Link to my hummie build if you’re curious. I don’t think you can go wrong with either deck. One is more built like a Cadillac and the other a (insert favorite moderately priced fast car here).

Welcome and nice realistic budget!

4 Likes

What range do you need? If you need a lot then maybe TB 110mm wheels are a better choice than pneumatic ones. They’d look like this on the Hummie:

If you like the style of the Hummie deck, maybe you’d fancy a Switchblade, since those aren’t unobtainable:

3 Likes

I don’t plan on needing a ton but I know it also doesn’t hurt. Maybe I could save a bit on a battery if I do that too, I’ll consider it. Thanks!

1 Like

You definitely get more battery in the urethane bargain. In the neighbourhood of double.

Get the Switchblade on Pneumatics, I had several boards and this is my alltime favorite.

4 Likes