Need help with my first build

This is going to be my first build and my graduation project.
I will use longboard to ride to university (5km).

I have made longboard deck by myself from snowboard and have strengthen it by maple wood.

I have ordered electric components from https://diyelectricskateboard.com

Components:
Direct drive motor kit 90kv
Nano remote controller
2x torque esc bldc
2x male to male servo connector
1x esc canbus connector
12s4p battery pack
110mm wheels with abec bearing

I am newbie so I have a lot of (stupid) question, I hope you could provide me all data I will need to build my first electric longboard.

Have I ordered all parts, or am I missing some and which one?
How do I connect all parts (any photos)?
I need to programm esc, how do I do it, what parameters do I need to set (voltage, amps,…)?
How do I connect 2esc with each other? (is canbus connector enough)
Where do I connect nano remote receiver on esc, battery and by what connector? (male to male enough or do i need something else, do I need any intermediate parts to put between battery-receiver-esc)
On direct drive there are 3 bulet connectors that are plugged into esc, what does 4th connector do?

Your toughts on currently sellected parts.

I am grateful for all informations, hopefully i will build skateboard on time:)

1 Like

These threads cover or have links to all the info you could need.

2 Likes

Welcome and good luck with your build :grin:

In what sense is this your graduation project?

At the end of high school we need to create, build something, test it and represent our project in front of teachers, what have we done, show our results/measurements, show building step by step (so you dont just buy something and say you did it, need to put some effort in this). Till now I was cycling to school so I have chosen to build electric longboard.

1 Like

Watch.

Amazing. Thanks :slight_smile:
After fast check i am missing 2xsensor wires? Is that right or have i missed anything?

Sensor wires

Thanks. Have watched video, it was really helpful and made some things more clear. I am missing 2x sensor wires. Will buy them and then will try and construct everything together. If i run at any problem I will ask again :slight_smile:
Three bullet connectors from motor, they must be plugged in any specific order or it doesnt matter?

That does not matter at all but to change the direction of the motor just change two phase together

Have seen that yeah, if you change order of cabels it turns in other direction but I want to make sure that i wont destroy anything

Any recomendations, pluses, minuses of sensored mode and unsensored mode? Any big difference between them?

I tried that nano remote. It lacks fine control to the point of being borderline dangerous. Definitely twitchy is the best way to describe it. I would strongly recommend the Flipsky VX1 or the much lauded but silly looking mini remote. Both are way nicer to use than the nano.

1 Like

Thanks for that info. First I will test nano remote, because I already have it. If it wont be good, I will try flipsky. Thank you

1 Like

So with a little delay I got all parts.
Torque boards direct drive 90KV
12s4p torque boards battery
2x VESC 4.12 Toruque boards
nano remote

I have connected all parts together and tried to program VESCs as shown on internet and many yt tutorials but motors doesnt want to spin. Dexter from torque boards is assisting me with my problem and what values to set, but he has a lot of work and his responses are a little slow if I can say that, so I would really need your help guys to make this skateboard work so I can drive it and make a nice representaion for school.

VESCs are connected via xt90 parralel connector to battery. Each motor is connected to vesc via 3 bullet connector and sensor wire. Remote is connected to MASTER vesc via male to male servo connector, and vescs are connected with each other via CAN bus connector.

I have tried setting VESC on different versions of VESC tools (2.02, 2.03, 2.06).
First I updated firmware to latest on that version of program. Done this for both VESC. Then I went on motor setup section->motor setup wizard. On first site I choosed BLDC, then setted current limits (dexter recommendations motor max 70A, motor brake -70A, battery max 30A, battery regen -8A).
Next site I applied voltage settings for 12S (40.80 37.20). Next Hall sensores, then I run motor detection and applied settings. MASTER VESC did this nice, on SLAVE VESC i put same values and after motor detection (BEMF and integrator values were quite same, just a little differen then on MASTER), i got notification that sensor0 value(-1) and sensor7 value (-1) are truncated.

IDK what thats means, and idea how to fix this…?

Then I went on App Settings->general and set ID for MASTER to 0, and SLAVE ID to 1. Connected both VESC with CAN bus and connected remote. Then I clicked Input setup wizard, then it said scanning CANbus and then I choosed to where remote is connected (ID 0), next site PPM input, then I played with remote (full gas, full brake) to set values, next site I picked current no reverse with brake and write settings. Same procedure for SLAVE VESC. And at the end motors doesnt want to spin, they make that terrible sound like it is broken and they start to vibrate.

I mean at motor detection, when motors spin for a few seconds, they have spinned perfectly without any problem and with normal sound, but when I try and spin them with remote here comes that broken sound and no spinning.

On tutorials and videos on internet setting remote is different than on newer version so probably here I made mistake.

I would really need your help to fix this and make this work because I am really noob about this, and would appreciate your help so I can ride it.
If I need to provide and additional informations please let me know.

1 Like

Sounds like you might want to doublecheck the wiring to the motors. are the phases connected correctly?
Just a thought b/c you mention the motors were vibrating.

Wiring from VESC to motors? I have changed that already couple of times to change motor rotation. But as I know it doesnt matter in which order are bullet connectors connected?

What is bothering me is at motor detection, they has spinned normaly, but I cant make it work with remote.

Might be a connection issue. What remote and receiver do you have?

Torqueboards 2.4ghz nano remote controler with receiver which comes with remote. Wire from vesc is connected to channel1 on receiver.

I mean everything is from torque boards except wheels and homemade deck.

Check that the remote is properly paired to the receiver. Some remotes like the flipsky vx1 come pre-connected to their receiver but some others don’t.

When remote is turned off red light on receiver is blinking, then I turn on receiver and after 2-3s red light is shining. Same on remote when turned on green light on remote is blinking then after 2-3s it stops and just shine normally, so I think they are connected properly?