Mountainboarding Questions (Safety Gear, Riding Techniques, etc.)

Waiting for a „daaaamn I need more more more time on my board…:rofl::partying_face::star_struck:

Save ride!

3 Likes

First test run finished.

Conclusion and lessons learned:

• The Battery performs better than expected. I did around 350m climbs and was riding an hour and the battery is at 46.5 Volts
  • It’s all about the low stance and balancing with your hands - if you don’t know that your butt will hurt
  • I will for sure buy butt protection … it’s a must :persevere:
  • When going steep downhill its very likely that your board will drift sideways (butt pain)
  • Tight right turns are easy af :tipping_hand_man:
  • Tight left turns are impossible :woman_facepalming:
  • The Board has more than enough power to climb everything I would ever wish for - still didn’t push the throttle all the way yet
  • When I break the board doesn’t fully stop - it is rolling backwards slowly (is this normal ?)

All in all I am quite happy with the first run - I was shaky at first because I was not used to be glued to the board but I got the hang of it a couple of minutes in. Very addictive

5 Likes

And yeah… falling on the butt does get old really fast I have to admit…

5 Likes

On your left turns try standing on your heels so they press down on the deck hard while using the top of your feet to pull up on the bindings. I left the exact same review on turning after my first ride haha. No problems turning now… In fact, I turn left a bit better than right if anything (same stance).

Try turning your left foot so it faces a bit more sideways, it might help!

Looks like an awesome place to ride.

When you’re off the board, does braking still reverse? It might be a throttle potentiometer issue or remote calibration problem. What remote and vesc?

2 Likes

The problem is I tried this technique but I will fall backside whenever I put my weight on my heels and press the bindings up.
I just need more time to get the hang of it for sure.

No the break will hold the board in place when I am off - only when I am standing on the board on a steep hill it will roll backwards - just like the break does not really break 100% - I use the new maytech remote and have a Trampa VESC6

The r2v2 split trigger one? I also use that one if so.

Just did some reading - it seems that a total standstill is not possible on the Vesc… It seems to be normal as discussed in other threads.

1 Like

Good research! I learn something new every day here.

1 Like

Do not use full straps on road. I learnt that the hard way 3 weeks ago. I put straps on my board to keep control over potholes… long story short…potholes won. My foot stayed strapped in and almost dislocated itself while the board was having fun flipping in the air.

4 Likes

sorry to see that. There is always a downside to things… Bindings may be good offroad but for sure not when riding every terrain. But must have been quite a massive pothole then ?

Was actually a repaired pothole

I measured it and the patch is 4 inches deeper than the rest of the road

Edit: photo is after I complained to the city…they still don’t know how to repair

4 Likes

doesn’t look so bad on the picture… have you been going pretty high speed ?

Was going 46 km/h according to my GPS. Speed wobble got the best of me when I was unable to reposition my feet to stabilize

1 Like

I could definitely see how that could throw you into a wobble. If I ride road, I keep my bindings pretty loose. Quick heals to you brother. I have the same wounds flashed forward 2 weeks.

Muuuuch better

1 Like

The only one that still shows on mine is this

The others are now simple scars

1 Like

Same if you stay on a hill and slowly roll forward. Even if you push the brakes fully they will not apply. If you release the trigger and brake again when you already rolling they apply again. It’s normal, just need to get used to.

2 Likes

I got to say… the Trampa VESC6 is for sure the best VESC I ever tried.
The FOC Mode is just so smooth… even on the steepest hill I can just accelerate smoothly from a standstill and everything feels perfect.

I am kinda happy that the Focbox Unity didn’t arrive yet so I had to buy the Trampa…

3 Likes

You guys must have gotten tired of me saying it by now.
Do this mod. Makes a world of difference and is very easy.

3 Likes

Not sure if I want to do that mod to my brand new board. I mean I got the printer and the PLA but is this really so beneficial?

I might want to try it when I am back from my holiday. Or I maybe will draw a new design that fits my board better… let’s see