Mountainboarding Questions (Safety Gear, Riding Techniques, etc.)

So funny I just ordered similar ones half an hour ago.

https://www.fc-moto.de/epages/fcm.sf/de_DE/?ObjectID=83114765&ViewAction=ViewProduct
Here the link

2 Likes

The only time Iā€™ve ever had kids lol at me was wearing these with baggy joggers over them, my ass was WAY too Kardashian lol

They go on top now :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Really ? do they look so bad ?

hmmā€¦

I ordered these sexy beastsā€¦ raaawwwrrr

3 Likes

they do tend to make your ass look massive, maybe just an unfortunate combination of my stance + joggers over the top, @deckoz wears his over and I thought Iā€™d try it , just did it once tho :smile:

UFO Plast from Italy have some PADDED PLASTIC SHORTS
CODE: PI09126 :black_small_square: SIZES: XS - S - M - L - XL - XXL
But they are from the snow collection, so far havenĀ“t found a dealer in Germany for them.
Have to talk to FC-MOTO if they will order them

100% MADE IN ITALY

grafik

You can use them for everything.
Motorbike, eSk8, Snowboard, E-Bike, ā€¦

2 Likes

On the road I never use the heel strap but I donā€™t like riding my mtb on the road. Bindings on road can sometimes be very dangerous.
Off road, I always wear heel straps. Not just for the added control but I find it safer.
The reason is that in case you fall and only one foot comes out of the bindings, you have a 15+kg board twisting your knee.
Guess what happens next.

4 Likes

Lol, @deckoz weighs 60kg or something silly like that.
He could wear a Michelin man suit and his ass would still look small.

3 Likes

totally but anyone else ā€¦

2 Likes

This is the best thread. Thank you for starting it.

I wish I had started it and have several scabs and scars that wouldnā€™t be here had I asked ahead of time.

I used to ride my EMTB with the following equipment:
Full face helmet
Elbow pads
Glove on non remote hand

This did alright for all minor spills. Id roll out of any spills with minimal back damage.

Then my truck snapped underneath me while going 30+ mph. Sorry if these photos are repetitive, it was a strong lesson learned.

You need to plan for random failure.

Since then, Iā€™ve bought this:

My current elbow pads are shit. They slide out of the way when they hit the ground and donā€™t protect anymore. I am looking into and highly recommend a sleeved elbow pad that wonā€™t move when you crash. I also need some hip/booty protection. Even with that armor I got, I still tore up my hip/waist/back area pretty bad on a dirt track spill. That armor saved my back skin for sure. The vest is great for riding around but if Iā€™m going to ride a hard offroad course where I expect to fall, Iā€™d rather have armor that had shoulder protection built in.

Bindings are absolutely necessary for any mtb. I used to use mbs f1 top bindings and I liked them. Then I tried the f5 bindings (tops only) and fell in love. Itā€™s a next level of control. You end up being able to tighten your trucks a bunch more for stability and can still turn because the bindings let you lean more.

Example: On an unbound longboard, I turn with my heels and toes. On my mtb, I turn with my toes frontside and actually use the top of my foot in the binding to turn heelside. I still use my heels but get a much better feel of control with bindings.

In Colorado I rode several boards without bindings on the dirt track (kaly, lacroix, diy) and some turns were simply undo able.

I am interested in trying the f5 heel strap but fear how much worse a fully locked in crash could be.

Again, great post and thanks for reading.

8 Likes

Hope you are alright again after that crash.

For my first ride I will go very slow and carefulā€¦

I just picked these up - fox Titan pro knee and elbow guard

Tomorrow I will get my carbon full face helmet.

The protector jacket will probably not be here for the first ride but should arrive end of next weekā€¦

4 Likes

I for sure need to get a bum protector for riding offroad. Falling on my ass at the dirt track in Colorado got old real fast. Dirt is slippery man!

5 Likes

Hahaā€¦ hard to believe :smiley:

On one hand I am kind of a minimalist - but I guess if it goes for protection it doesnā€™t hurt (no pun intended) to go a little bit on the safer side.

I donā€™t know yet how well I will be able to control the board - I only did ride longboards before and never have been snowboarding.

So will be interesting for sure

1 Like

Got my used troy lee D3 carbon

3 Likes

I was only going medium hard. Wish I had wore Those damn pants

4 Likes

Bookmarked! Thank you my brotha

1 Like

This is why you donā€™t like AIS 12 trucks, safe recovery

1 Like

Haha yep. They are not true all terrain trucks sadly. I really like the 15-20Ā° nose and top angle setups though. Itā€™s a great blend of carvy and stable.

Thank you man. Almost all damage is healed now. There were many nights of uncomfortable sleep.

7 Likes

Will be going for my first test ride today.
I am excited already. Will let you know how it went

7 Likes