Moe Stooge Wheel System

Originally published at: http://esk8.news/moe-stooge-wheel-system/

If you have been around the DIY esk8 scene for very long, you have probably heard of Moe Stooge. He is a true speed demon with an eye for uphill races. While mere mortals feel like we are flying in the mid 30 mph range, Moe is barreling up hill going nearly twice that speed.

The most interesting aspect of his custom built race boards isn’t merely the blinding speeds they reach, but the unique approach he takes in designing these monsters. His designs are unlike anything else in the entire world- rubber race wheels, custom built trucks with stabilizers, crazy high KV motors on lower voltage, and he even uses different motor controllers than the typical electric skateboard. The result is some of the most purpose built esk8s anywhere: they go fast and they win races.

Naturally, when he offered up a limited number of his custom wheels for sale, I was all over that. Being the Esk8 addict I am, I had to know if he was onto something with his somewhat unorthodox designs.

Specs

Race: 120mm x 63mm : 50a/45a Duro. two 42t 15mm Versa Pullies included

Street: 120mmx 50mm : 70a/70a Duro. two 42t 15mm Versa Pullies included

Impressions

Moe offeres two versions of his wheel hub system – a “race” model and a “street” model. I opted for the “street” model as it had a higher rubber durometer and I felt that might last longer than the softer version.

These wheels are completely different than anything I have tried. They have a hub that holds the bearings and you bolt that right onto your hanger axle just like a normal skate wheel. Then, you mount the wheel onto that hub. It’s a very nifty design. The wheel itself is covered by a thin layer of dense, durable closed cell foam with the rubber contact patch bonded to it.

I mounted them up to my Lacroix on Surf Rodz RKPs for testing. Set up was incredibly easy and intuitive. I was running them with an 18/42 gear ratio on a 10s6p with dual 200kv 6369s.

Road Feel

Compared to ABEC 107 Flywheels, Stooge Wheels have significantly more rolling resistance. They fall somewhere between urethane wheels and full pneumatics in that department. However, they feel like you are stuck to the road, and I mean that in the best way possible. I was carving deeper and turning sharper than I ever felt comfortable doing on big thane. I even felt significantly safer at higher speeds and I am spending much more time north of 30 mph. They do lose a little of that coast feel urethane offers, so I find myself laying deeper into the throttle for longer periods of time than I used to as well.

Typically, I try to avoid riding in wet conditions, but I took these wheels out for a few runs after some rain, and I was thoroughly impressed. The wheels still felt very well planted on the wet asphalt and didn’t have that glassy feel that urethane can get on wet roads. This was a great aspect as I use my boards to commute, and I hate that slip and slide feel at 7:30 in the morning on my way to work.

Conclusion

I am absolutely thrilled with these wheels overall. They are incredibly sticky and are extremely adept at high speed riding, but at the expense of a little efficiency. To get the full value from them, they belong on a big battery build so the reduced efficiency will hardly be a concern. I was somewhat expecting them to feel good going fast, but I wasn’t expecting the added confidence these wheels gave to the rigors of everyday city commuting. Due to the high price, I would recommend them mostly to seasoned builders and riders that want to go FAST and don’t mind something a bit unorthodox.

After experiencing these wheels from Moe, it makes me eager to try out his full racing drive systems. He was right about these, so now I want to know what other tricks he has up his sleeve.

PROS: High road grip, great for high speeds, increases safety in wet conditions

CONS: Loss in efficiency, expensive

Rating

Quality: 9/10
Price: 7/10
Feel: 9/10
Aesthetic: 7/10
Reliability: 10/10
Durability: 9/10
Total: 51/60

23 Likes

Had a chance to ride my friends psychotiller board that had these. Man these wheels are amazing. So smooth. I’d love to buy a set in the future.

6 Likes

Fantastic writeup, bursting to try a set some time

4 Likes

hey @MoeStooge gimme a link for your wheels and i’ll include it in the article.

7 Likes

No link. No website. Shoot a Message and I’ll put you on the Inquiry list. Maybe this spring we will do another batch. stoogeraceboards@hotmail.com

24 Likes

Could you be more old skool moe? lol

10 Likes

Really nice article, Tim !

Can we, please, have an idea of the price people paid for the first batch ?

2 Likes

Absolutely!

$375 which included two wheel pullies.

5 Likes

Cheers mate !

Quality comes at a cost, we must accept it :wink:

2 Likes

I like that it comes with pullies as it makes for a quick easy change that you can do if on your commute in the morning it isnt raining but it has since rained while at work. Especially since they perform better on wet roads.

4 Likes

Give him a break, the guy has an email ffs! :rofl:

3 Likes

Back to testing the Race/Street wheel

So, we raced the old rubber over HD foam wheel for over two years and had failures in the foam due to the foam integrity being compromised by heat.

We sourced some higher temp HD foam and destroyed them on our 60mph pull down Wheel Dyno with minimal improvements.

This round we had a new rubber mold made and out popped a 106mm rubber on Nylon wheel.

4 of these in existence as of Saturday and went directly to the pull down Dyno. 3miles @ 60mph 70lb single wheel load with a full pass.
179f surface temp wheel held together nicely.

Road test Sunday found rolling resistance is greatly reduced. Will get a Wh per mile est. Old wheel rode near 30Wh per mile.

Ride was more harsh as expected.
Will be taking these to Evolve track day Ocean Side CA for grip evaluation on clean asphalt. Grip first impression seemed unchanged from the rubber over HD wheel.

Goal here is to have a high grip no flats no failure 50mph capable light weight wheel.
If the prototype checks the boxes we will start working on a dedicated core with 30mm bearings x 20mm spacing and also standard sk8 bearing, spacing.
Inside will have flat mounting surface for gear, pulley. :crossed_fingers:

Test wheel
106mm x 50mm
45a duro

20 Likes

:heart_eyes: Can’t wait to see these wheels!

1 Like

wild
10char

1 Like

Thank you for pioneering this approach, I love it!

May I ask the likely trivial question of how riding these feels different from the 105mm Kegel rubber wheels?

I would expect yours to be far superior in terms of weight and rolling resistance. But how do they compare for traction and comfort?

1 Like

Following this thread! Definitely interested.

1 Like

@PrivacyDoctor Sorry, I am unfamiliar with this wheel.

1 Like

Been a while. In the short my supplier for the Race & Street wheel retired and sold the business early last year. The new owners were uninterested in skate wheel development. After some time I persuaded the origional owner to reopen the project.
New mold was made and then a tornado tore into the shop removing part of the roof and wall. 3 months later we have a V2 proto racewheel.
First test was yesterday.
Test wheel is 109mm 45duro.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CB_vpF2p2P7/?igshid=b6jzo4nm0xoi

11 Likes

45a? gawt damn :o

It’s probably not your intention to make these for riding in wet surfaces, but have you tested them in the rain at all? You’ve got a harfang-esque cutout pattern… Maybe it works similarly? :man_shrugging:t2:

6 Likes

Tread could be in the future if the market dictates. At this point it would be putting the cart in front of the horse.
Harder duro combinations will definitely be available.

2 Likes