Moe Stooge Wheel System

Great to see progress on these, even in the face of adversity.

This is what the people want.

2 Likes

I can’t wait to ride these :slightly_smiling_face: They look like the perfect short track wheels!

1 Like

109mm? Any reason you went with this size? Seems like your 1.5 mod gear is only mm away from the ground?

1 Like

I can’t wait to try the new tires… and I really like what you’ve done with the axle tie-rod…

the Duck is always a step ahead!

go with the speed!

1 Like

Gears are close. A 58t would be a better application than the 62. @JaysTCB board had a 67 t and it did touch.

109mm is a product from using the origional core size as a test subject.
Target is durability , high grip, low rolling resistance and a light weight with duro choices.

Still have pull down rig, daily street use and 50mph track testing to pass the smell test. Short track test day couldn’t have went better.

4 Likes

109mm because “110mm” is taken :joy:

4 Likes

109mm ride along.

109 with Mario Chacon.

7 Likes

In short the 109mm no foam made it through testing but ride quality was compromised. Running the 155 Metro forced us into a much needed gearing change with the 78t spur.
The 78t spur opened larger wheel options for the race wheel. Lower wheel speeds, more foam with a new harder density formula developed by the new owners was the ticket. We took a set of off the shelf Bishop Racing Products 150mm xxxfirm and went to work on the pulldown rig.
The 6" tire passed the temperature test made on the pulldown rig. Short track testing proved more turn grip than the 155 Metro. Uphill racing at Bako15 and Mary Hill proved speed with stability. Ride quality— equivalent to a good pnumatic. Stoked to have these in the quiver.
Will be available on the SRB web-store soon.
Will be standard on the V-5 Raceboard.

Cheers🏁

29 Likes

Exciting, hope to be on these soon with the new V5 Chassis! (Lmk if you have come to a decision over what we talked about!)

Looks super sweet!

How many miles you think they last before needing to be swapped? How much longer than metro155s?

E: also I love how the hubs on the board match the hubs on the car!

2 Likes

The 155 Metro wears quickly, the old 120 RW did not. @davidbonde could elaborate on the wear characteristics and contrast.
For wear longevity The 150 BRP race wheel I expect to surpass the 120 with its’ lower wheel speeds and larger contact patch.

2 Likes

I got the OG race wheel late 2018, and they were my main wheels until mid 2020 where they became dedicated short track wheels. And they finally gave up this June. Dont know how many miles I got on them. But a lot.

And I didnt really see or feel the wear. The cool thing is that they dont change charateristica when they are wearing down. They are slicks from new and they are slicks when they are worn completely down. But now when I look at them I can see that the rubber layer are thinner, but I feel the rubber layer still have miles in it.

What killed them was mainly the separation between the rubber and the foam. We saw that seperation when the wheel got hot. With normal use I didnt see any problems. But when using them on the short and long track where lateral forces are higher and there is a lot of acceleration and breaking. But I only experienced the seperation issue the last months of their life.

The seperation started on the lateral side of the wheels. It is also clear to see that its on the lateral side that they wear the most.

On the new wheels they use a “wrap around” config of the rubber on the lateral side. So hopefully that will protect that portion better.

These are close to being my favorit wheels I have tried up till now. And for me on for the short track they dont have a competitor. Maybe on painted cement there would be a more sticky rubber out there.

When you put lateral force into them, they are firmer than pneumatics. Especially if you run the pneumatics with less air to make the contact path bigger. Guess it’s like comparing a soft deck to a stiff deck when you want control.

Cruising around on the streets the lager MB won in the end for me because of a smoother ride. So I am really looking foreward to see how the new lager wheel will feel compared to the MB pneumatic.

I ordered a pair in 140mm. Just to be different :slight_smile: and have the above things to test now that Brandon have done the “these are good enough to recommend” testing first. Will be fun.

Getting a grippy wheel that compares to pneumatics in smoothness but are firmer and can’t puncture, would be dream. Lets see…

Worn down OG race wheel.

9 Likes

It looks as though the wheels are finally in stock. Great!

@MoeStooge, sorry if I’m asking the obvious but am I right thinking that for a full set I need to get:

?

Also, are there any pulley options apart from your gear drive? The first post in this thread mentions 42T Versa Pulleys.

5 Likes

Yes.
On the drive hub, request the Versa Pulley option at checkout in Note. Hub will come with bolts and bolt pattern for the Versa pulley.
Would suggest the 60t Versa pulley.

“HTD VersaPulleys (4 choices) - VEX Robotics” HTD VersaPulleys (4 choices) - VEX Robotics

4 Likes

ABEC11 enters the chat

1 Like

Damn it would be too good to get these with Kegel pattern mounting holes. I really want to run these on the BNM1 gear drives.

1 Like

I hope you’re talking about the AT version. The M1 doesnt have a big enough ratio to be worth using on wheels this big

1 Like

I’m using 200mm pneumie wheels on the 2.78 kegel gears, no issues besides range

and heat, and torque, and braking distance (technically also torque)

3 Likes

I haven’t had any issues with torque or braking, slow acceleration but i’m chocking that up to the wheels being huge. when I use 150mm tires the acceleration is much better.