Stooge race wheels

I just wanted to know if anybody had experience with stooge race wheels. Are they good? Bad? How do they feel?

I also wanted to see if anybody had a set or preferably just one that I could machine adapters to my DD setup.

Any info is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Not me, but there is a thread

I’ve had a set of the new 5" wheels for a couple of months. I use it almost daily for commuting and I also race occasionally.

They feel very similar to pneumatic wheels in terms of ride comfort and traction. They have slightly more rolling resistance compared to pneumatics though. Energy consumption goes up 10-15%. This also causes the motors and ESCs to heat up faster. The advantage is that you don’t risk a flat tire. Also, they seem to wear out much slower than pneumatics. After more than two months of doing ~20 km almost daily I barely see any wear on them.

One annoyance is that, since they are very soft, small rocks (and other small sharp objects) tend to get stuck in the wheel. This doesn’t seem to affect ride performance and eventually the rubbish gets brushed off from riding. Front wheels are usually messier than the rear wheels despite being harder since the rear wheels are propelled and thus get harder brushing.

For racing, on one Go Kart track where the surface was very slippery, the wheels were no good at all and I had to switch to pneumatics, which were better (though I still drifted a lot). On all other (non-slippery) surfaces the traction is very good. I wouldn’t necessary say better than with pneumatics but definitely on par at the very least. They are definitely better than any other airless wheels.

Overall, I do like the wheels both for racing and for casual riding / commuting. The extra consumption doesn’t bother me. The fact that you can’t get a flat tire is a big plus. No need to worry about inflating or balancing. And they will probably last really long. They also look pretty badass. :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t recommend using them for a DD though. They are too big for that. 2WD will be shitty with them. 4WD might be okay-ish but still not great.

6 Likes

Yeah I would never try these with 2wd I am running 4wd but if I weren’t I wouldn’t even try.

I’ve got the latest SRB 150mm version as part of the track pack.

They are amazing on the road and very stable. I think they have better traction than pneumatics on the road but they are not as comfortable over bumps. They feel much more stable at speed than my pneumatics but that could also be the 3 link trucks giving my that feeling of stabilty.

Mine are specifically for racing so the energy efficiency does not bother me but yeah they chew the juice.

I’ve only had a few test runs to be honest as waiting for next track event but I have never felt so comfortable burning around the streets close to 60km/h. I’m yet to get them on the race track so very much look forward to that.

1 Like