Metr Pro Updates

I bet this is what happened:

1. 12:45 You changed speed from 37 to 40 and then applied it
  2. It applied just fine. You probably did not test throttle.
  3. 12:59 Your board shut down because of built-in timer switch

This is when bad things happened. When you powered board on, motor configuration was destroyed. I don’t know if it was destroyed when shutdown or power on, somewhere there. Not only motor direction setting, for example hall sensor values also were reset

[I 13:01:00.973] MC:foc_hall_table0=255
[I 13:01:00.974] MC:foc_hall_table1=255
[I 13:01:00.974] MC:foc_hall_table2=255
[I 13:01:00.974] MC:foc_hall_table3=255
[I 13:01:00.974] MC:foc_hall_table4=255

Did you test throttle after you applied mode at 12:46?

3 Likes

Mine is blank too. Running android 10 on Samsung S10. Notifications are enable. It used to say METR is running, but now it is just blank.

Most likely not actually! Changed setting, talked to a friend for a while, turned it back on (after auto shut down of DBMS) and only then I noticed the problem!

Had no idea that this could happen during shutting down, or booting!

Anyhow, muchas gracias for the investigation :ok_hand:t3:
I’ll keep an eye on it.

this is a known issue on the unity, my board has done this a few times in the past and as far as i know there is not any fix for it. as @rpasichnyk says it seems to happen randomly when the power shuts down.

my best advice to avoid getting caught out in the future is to make a full settings backup in metr. if this ever happens again you can just load the backup and write it to the board.

This has saved me from getting stranded a few times before.

7 Likes

@rpasichnyk you have seemed to be pretty open to metr feature add-ons…

I don’t know how easy this would be, but I think a cool stat to add would be average voltage sag/battery amp, or avg V sag/10 amps of load.

How I think this would possibly be implemented is by taking the average voltage over the last few seconds that last saw 0 battery amps as the baseline, subtract the current voltage from the last measured baseline voltage divided by the current battery amp draw… or something along those lines, I think the only real useful values would be max voltage sag, and overall average voltage sag per battery amp drawn. Just some ideas.

We have the data to say definitively how much we each sag, and it seems like a fairly linear relationship at least from my data… it would be awesome if people could just say on average I sag 1.2V per 10 amps or 5.5V per 100A with such and such configuration rather than guessing off a few days points or just feeling it out kinda.

2 Likes

measuring internal resistance under load… sounds sick

4 Likes

You know what would be great? A Pause function for the recordings instead of stopping it entirely if i take a break.

edit : or auto-pause (and resume if it detects movement) like strava does it

4 Likes

Strava doesn’t automatically pause or resume in any of my usage, the pause button is very useful however.

You have to enable it in the settings.

1 Like

I’m an idiot, thank you for that.

2 Likes

This is done in VESC Tool already :wink:

This is interesting idea, but maybe voltage sag should be divided by S? Since people are running 10S, 12S (and soon all the way up to 20S)

This is going into TODO list :smiley:

7 Likes

I avoid it. :frowning:

Even better for a standard metric across the board!

1 Like

Finally Apple reviewed latest metr app update and it’s live now. If you want to beta test FW 5.0:

• power on your metr pro, connect to it with metr app
  • send logs to support@metr.at and write that you want to beta test FW 5.0

(latest logs you sent did not have connection, so I could not collect Metr Pro identifier from there)

3 Likes

Sent.

1 Like

Did this earlier, going for a ride tonight if weather plays nice.

1 Like

@malJohann you may be interested

1. Rename Metr Pro to “UNITY BLE”
  2. Force close metr app
  3. Power down the board
  4. Power up the board
  5. Open Stormcore app

Remember Metr Pro can only have one active connection at a time. Force close Stormcore app when you want to use metr app again.

10 Likes

Game changer! Means I don’t have to swap modules to go between metr and Stormcore apps when testing! Awesome!

2 Likes

Used metr Pro as above, but had disconnects after about 2 and a half minutes. This was consistent across metr and Stormcore apps.

metr disconnected whether the phone was locked or unlocked on the Realtime page, Stormcore disconnected while the phone was locked.

I sent feedback via the app as well.

4 Likes

Had an HFI hiccup at the start, the pause in the middle was where I jumped off after hitting gravel trying to avoid a pedestrian and his dog. Didn’t fall, just ran it off.

Had two reported BT disconnects, but seemingly this didn’t affect recording.

Just wondering about the HFI setup though, I don’t see where you toggle it on / off?

2 Likes