Meepo Hurricane Discussion

Just want to update that the board works great at the moment! Rode for a total of 150km up to now.

• Hurricane deck
  • Hurricane battery, bypassed discharge BMS, 10 AWG wires, soldered at 4 points instead of 2 at each terminal.
  • ZMote remote
  • Stormcore 60D+
  • Torqueboards 218 trucks
  • Meepo Cyclone rubber wheels
  • 36 teeth Dickyho alu Kegel pulleys
  • Flipsky 6374 motors, 15 teeth pulleys
  • Note8 as a wannabe Davega

VESC settings

• 75A max battery draw (150A total)
  • 100A max motor current acceleration
  • 50A max motor brake current

Thoughts:
I really like it and don’t plan to do any more changes at the moment, only if stuff breaks. I love the rubber wheels for how they ride but they let down when it comes to range (10-30km depending on speed and terrain. I weigh 70kg and carry a bag weighing around 5kg). With urethane I think the range is going to be 20-40km.

I thought the ESC would be getting warm but my current, temporary heatsinks keep it at max 50°C, with ambient temp being 25°C. Motors however heat to 80-90 when going full tilt up steep inclines and are around 70-75 going fast on straights.

The top speed I did up to now was 67km/h (41mph) with the battery at around 60%. With a full tank, I think I could hit 70km/h. It’s stable on nice flat roads, I didnt feel any wobbles catching up to me.

I love the ZMote, love the dead man’s switch on it. The 3D print finish makes it not slippery and I like the feel in my hand. My hands kind of sweat a lot and this one doesn’t get slippery at all. I keep the trigger switch pressed at all times with my middle finger. Shipping of the remote to Slovenia took only a week!

EDIT, UPDATE: Just got the heatsink and installed it!

5 Likes
6 Likes

What was the damage?

2 Likes

He just swinged by my house and left it in my garage, haven’t talked to the guy yet :'D Will go by his shop tomorrow and ask.

1 Like

Curious, why did you change out the stock motors?

Stock motors likely have a different pinout than the VESC, and it’s a pain to resolder different connectors on. I had the same issue trying to VESC swap an ownboard zeus pro.

3 Likes

ah makes sense. I’m hoping the meepo hurricane bamboo, whenever it comes out, has a flatter concave.

1 Like

Got them as a package deal when I bought the trucks from a user here. Also, these have temperature wires, stock do not.

Another one bites the dust. What a joke. Someone running Hurricane without that module ?

4 Likes

me, its been fine the whole time

6 Likes

What does the module do?

idk, so i sent it to @Battery_Mooch

but i’ve been charging without that module with the original charger, still no fire, i guess it technically isn’t needed :crazy_face:

Here you can find out more about it: Battery charging Module Hurricane

My sincere apologies. I really dropped the ball on this one. @fujio001 and all, here’s what I’ve found out so far:

• The module starts working at about 13V.
  • The output only turns on if the input’s (charger) smaller red wire is connected to charger’s POS pin.
  • It takes about 4mS for the output to switch mostly on, 6mS to be on (see photo below, between the red lines). That could indicate an AS switch function or it’s just a filter capacitor charging up the FET gates slowly to keep voltage spikes to a minimum when the FETs turn on.
  • The output stays on for any charger voltage from 13V-54V (the highest voltage I went to).
  • If the module has charger overvoltage charge protection it activates at above 54V.
  • The module is protected from a reversed-polarity charger connection (main red POS wire and smaller red wire connected together).
  • There doesn’t seem to be any charge port overcurrent/short-circuit protection.

So far this module just seems like a way to make sure a three-wire charger is used and to protect the pack from a reversed charger connection. But there are more components on the pcb than are needed for this IMO.

There might be AS switch functionality but for less than 4mS and the FETs are used as the resistor load (which is a legitimate way to do this) since no resistor is present to limit the pre-charge current.

Does this module get used for packs above 12S? Could the overvoltage protection threshold just be higher than the 54V I went up to?

5 Likes

I’ve amended my post. The output switches on in 4mS-6mS (depending on where the fully on threshold is set). This could be an AS switch function or it could be just the FETs being turned on slowly to keep voltage spikes to a minimum.

Though, slowing things down for minimizing voltage spikes also slows down the current flowing into any “downstream” caps.

4 Likes

While I’m fixing this thing I might as well post some pictures.

Jackpot i guess

Put stainless bushing on bottom kingpin and 98a bushing. Think red bushing is 96 or 97a. Much more stable now at high speeds. Fronts are stock bottoms and top bushings are 98a cone.

doing that much work to get stable with DKP, might as well convert it into TKP or RKP :joy:

5 Likes

Temporary fix. :joy:

1 Like