Battery charging Module Hurricane

Hey guys,

Recently I got the meepo hurricane and it was awesome!! For like 2 days… :smile:
After those 2 days it stopped charging and after inspection I knew that the charging module was broken.
I already contacted meepo about it but as they are in holidays I expect them to deliver me the spare parts in more than a month or so.
My question: do you know were I can get buy a spare charging module that I can use to replace the broken one? I’m based in germany.
Thanks guys!

2 Likes

charging bypass that module? i don’t even know what that pcb does

1 Like

We don’t really know exactly what that thing does

Someone brought it up in the hurricane thread a while back I think

@Battery_Mooch didn’t you have an idea on this

Some sort of inrush current suppression or something?

2 Likes

it was me :joy:

Lol sorry I read a lot of messages, couldn’t remember

2 Likes

its fine, it was Marcel’s idea to cut it open and have a look, but we still don’t know what it does. im planning to bypass it at some point to see what happens

2 Likes

Perhaps.
It’s “dumb” unless there is an MCU on the back so its functionality will be limited to one or two primary uses. It could be over/undervoltage protection, electronic fuse, or AS-type functionality (inrush related stuff).

Really good photos of the front and back (so the chip numbers can be read) would help a lot.

3 Likes

there is nothing on the back, not a single resistor whatnot

2 Likes

It isn’t BMS related (cell level at least) since it only appears to measure pack voltage. Though I guess it can be argued that a pack protector is still a type of BMS, even if it doesn’t do cell-level measuring, balancing, and protection.

3 Likes

Interesting, thanks.
Only enough components for perhaps dividing down the voltage then and perhaps taking action at a certain voltage. No current sensing resistor, it appears, to do over-current stuff but it’s hard to see with that photo.

2 Likes

sorry i don’t have a better photo

2 Likes

So when you say bypass it, do you mean to cut the module out and connect those wires as they are?

I’m rlly scared to damage the battery.

1 Like

without knowing what that pcb does, its hard to say what will happen if u connect it that way

i wouldn’t do it if u don’t wanna take the risk

1 Like

For some of us that are experienced with batteries that is probably what we would do yeah

But not knowing what the module does leaves possibilities open that we can’t answer to without having it in hand

2 Likes

I had to measure the voltage of the output of the charger.

Wouldn’t it be safe to say that if the voltage it outputs is lower than the voltage the battery outputs, it should be safe.

I guess I’m not going to do it because I’m scared to much but I’m just curious.

I know some people who have good connections to meepo. I’ll ask on your behalf.

2 Likes

We cant see this video as it’s h.265/HEVC. can you either convert it to h264 or put it on youtube as unlisted and send us the link?

1 Like

Wow awesome dude, thank you!

Your charger is a-ok then. Also we have the same multimeter I think lol. 12s chargers should be 50.4-51v (Hopefully the BMS cuts off charging at 50.4v)