Meepo Hurricane Discussion

Got them as a package deal when I bought the trucks from a user here. Also, these have temperature wires, stock do not.

Another one bites the dust. What a joke. Someone running Hurricane without that module ?

4 Likes

me, its been fine the whole time

6 Likes

What does the module do?

idk, so i sent it to @Battery_Mooch

but i’ve been charging without that module with the original charger, still no fire, i guess it technically isn’t needed :crazy_face:

Here you can find out more about it: Battery charging Module Hurricane

My sincere apologies. I really dropped the ball on this one. @fujio001 and all, here’s what I’ve found out so far:

• The module starts working at about 13V.
  • The output only turns on if the input’s (charger) smaller red wire is connected to charger’s POS pin.
  • It takes about 4mS for the output to switch mostly on, 6mS to be on (see photo below, between the red lines). That could indicate an AS switch function or it’s just a filter capacitor charging up the FET gates slowly to keep voltage spikes to a minimum when the FETs turn on.
  • The output stays on for any charger voltage from 13V-54V (the highest voltage I went to).
  • If the module has charger overvoltage charge protection it activates at above 54V.
  • The module is protected from a reversed-polarity charger connection (main red POS wire and smaller red wire connected together).
  • There doesn’t seem to be any charge port overcurrent/short-circuit protection.

So far this module just seems like a way to make sure a three-wire charger is used and to protect the pack from a reversed charger connection. But there are more components on the pcb than are needed for this IMO.

There might be AS switch functionality but for less than 4mS and the FETs are used as the resistor load (which is a legitimate way to do this) since no resistor is present to limit the pre-charge current.

Does this module get used for packs above 12S? Could the overvoltage protection threshold just be higher than the 54V I went up to?

5 Likes

I’ve amended my post. The output switches on in 4mS-6mS (depending on where the fully on threshold is set). This could be an AS switch function or it could be just the FETs being turned on slowly to keep voltage spikes to a minimum.

Though, slowing things down for minimizing voltage spikes also slows down the current flowing into any “downstream” caps.

4 Likes

While I’m fixing this thing I might as well post some pictures.

Jackpot i guess

Put stainless bushing on bottom kingpin and 98a bushing. Think red bushing is 96 or 97a. Much more stable now at high speeds. Fronts are stock bottoms and top bushings are 98a cone.

doing that much work to get stable with DKP, might as well convert it into TKP or RKP :joy:

5 Likes

Temporary fix. :joy:

1 Like

Hey gang. Total forum newb here. Haven’t modded anything on my board. Apologies if this is the wrong place to discuss this.

Snapped a belt riding a trail this weekend. Ordered some new ones from Meepo. I assume they’ll be here some time before spring LOL.

That being said. Two big questions:

Any decent alternatives for Meepo’s belts? Other than their new gear system. Chains? Other brand belts?

Secondly, any recommendations for better/taller AT wheels for the hurricane?

Thanks all!

1 Like

Welcome! There are bunch of places you can order belts. Amazon, vbeltguys, etc. Just match up the numbers from the broken belt.

As for tires, the stock tires are horrible. I wore through mine in about 200 miles.

6" tires (150mm)
Hota tire with the 'V" chevron - Decent durability and very sticky.

Build kit boards tires Great grip, super flat profile and very long lasting for a pneumatic tire.

Unfortunately, cannot help you on 7" tires since I don’t run them. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Well, I think my 100amp ESC has already gone bad. Was riding home from work and it suddenly died.

Battery is just fine. reading at 49v.

Power button fine too. Tested it on the mulitmeter. I even hooked up a new switch and the board does not turn on.

Shortly after the ESC swap, my left motor started clicking and then my right. I even had difficult with starting up from a stop. Felt like a loose belt but my belts were not loose. Timing seems suspicious. Not sure if an ESC can make motors go bad. I contacted Meepo two weeks ago about the motors. No response.

Also, the acceleration was wonky a few days prior to failure. Would only go about 5 mph. Had to let go of the throttle then it would respond normally.

Anyone else with these issues?

You should check your motor.
I had that sound and when i opened the motor the ring on top that seperates the magnet was scredded .

1 Like

Old or upgraded motors? The old ones did not last very long after I installed the 100A ESC. The mentioned ring that keeps the magnets in shape was broken in several pieces. Show a video to Meepo If yours are having the same issue, took me not too long to convince them to send me new (upgraded) motors.

I opened up the motor already and cleaned it. It was surprisingly clean.

Old motors. I am getting the impression the older motors were not up to the task of handling the new ESC.