Marathon Falcon | Landyachtz Evo 40 | 12s5p 21700 | Esk8Supply Direct Drive | MakerX dual | cloud wheels

That sucks, man =/ What BMS did you have in there? Do you think having easy access to individual cell levels would tipped you off sooner and made any difference?

Might not be the best indicator since there was a dead p group and you did some overcharging, but 4.1 to 4.3 is a span I’d be uncomfortable w/ running, which could again point to your BMS being insufficient.

I’m not sure which BMS it is, but here’s a pic of it.

In the measurements paper, the left side was measured from 0v so they only had a very rough decimal point. On the right side I measured from the balance lead next to it, so it has more accurate 2 decimal points. And they range from 4.14 - 4.21 which I think is normal?

If the pack where charging normally, I’d be worried about those low P groups, they could be the next to die if it wasn’t solely the BMS’ fault. I wonder what the individual cell voltage is on those groups? I balance pretty religiously b/c 100C lipos, but I thought the standard among liion folk was ±.02V?

That’s a lot of drift actually. When everything works, you shouldn’t see more than 0.01-0.02v delta, like @RyEnd said.

It’s a Bestech D140, garbage BMS (IMO :smiley:).
I feel like BMS failures are an order of magnitude more common than cells randomly dying. I would invest in a quality BMS or go the external route.

Liitokala might have pretty inconsistent manufacturing too, if they tend to drift so much… Were they all in balance when you got it? How many cycles did you put on it since?

1 Like

Oh! didn’t know that.

Yeah, I agree. A local friend asked me to check for burn marks in case that pack shorted. But if it did, I’m pretty sure I’d be dealing with a fire

Liitokala might have pretty inconsistent manufacturing too, if they tend to drift so much… Were they all in balance when you got it? How many cycles did you put on it since?
[/quote]

I got the pack from accrobrandon from his build thread here:

He had ~5 cycles through his testing, and I did another ~23 cycles (of which only 5 cycles was dead to full, the others were shorter rides)

I didn’t check if they were all balanced when I got it because I was a total battery noob, and was sure it was fine since it was such a fresh pack.

swapped out my cloud wheels today for abec 107’s
Bigger difference than I imagined!

Pros:

• Better torque: bigger difference than I thought! The torque increase was even present in the last 20% of battery
  • More range: I got 27% more range! :o That was way more than expected
  • Less rolling resistance: I find myself breaking too much at stops, and by the end of the ride, I adjusted to stop throttling sooner than I usually do

Cons:

• Not as comfy as cloud wheels: Very noticeable at first, but near the end I didn’t really notice other than large cracks. I also need time to re-calibrate in my head what I consider a “big” crack is now a “sketchy crack”
  • slightly less top speed: As expected on DD’s
  • less motor and enclosure clearance: More noticeable than I thought. At least 5 scrapes on the enclosure where it would normally be no problem. (Exact same route I take everyday)
  • They felt heavier when I was dragging the board around, but that might just be placebo

Overall happy with the wheels :slight_smile:
Another week and I’ll probably be fully used to it. Loving the extra range and torque

2 Likes

So after some time with the cloudwheels and the ABEC107mms, which one do you like more?

I was going to upgrade from my basic 100mm wheels. Starting to get tired of having to slow down to get over cracks , I have an option to go to either the ABECs or the Cloudwheels, 27% range is a lot. Would you keep riding the ABECs or go back to the Cloudwheels?

I know you’re not asking me, but no contest there. Clouds all day over 107s. My 107s don’t even sniff the road these days. Just too dead of a wheel in comparison to the clouds or the 110s. And they chunk too easily.

3 Likes

Right now I’m sticking with the 107’s even though the ride quality is worse like bill gordon said.

I just need the range :stuck_out_tongue:
I got ‘used to’ the rougher rides after about a week or so though

2 Likes

Hey guys, really liked this post and I figured you’d like to take a look at this beauty.

3 Likes