LoveChild - HyperTrucks | Kaly XL 5.0 Deck | 2x 6389 190kv | 2x 100S Stormcore | 12S9P DieBieMS | FreeSK8 Remote

I’m using the m4 inserts that Ernesto uses. Not sure on his source. I asked for a small baggy of em awhile back since I have a small litter of his decks. Ha

3 Likes

Is Ernesto laying CF on those now? :heart_eyes: Dude that build is going to be off the charts :smiley: Can’t wait time see a build thread!

4 Likes

For anyone curious:

https://github.com/FreeSK8/DRI-3D-Sandbox/tree/master/Misc

Bolt in bottom 2 holes with m5/nuts to secure in place, then use 5mm transfer-punch on the top 2 to mark, then drill.

@SeanHacker

@Soflo I’ll get you some of these printed up tonight, shoot me a PM with your address and I’ll get a few shipped out.

5 Likes

It is really hard for me to bench a board that has zero issues, but I finally brought myself to put LoveChild up on the bench for some maintenance & upgrades.

Fresh Motors were top on my list. The original ones I’m riding were beaten & abused by the Lacroix boys in the first Lonestar prototype before they got hand-me-downed. They seen some shit. They seeeen it.

Also put in some new Juiceboxes:

Also dropped in yellow/red bushings. I need to give them a few weeks to break in but so far I miss the rowdiness of the blue/white combo. Bleh.

I should probably get around to redoing my griptape (I mean begging @SeanHacker to do it for me).

11 Likes

Did you have the same motors before? How hot do they get for you?
I can cook eggs&bacon on mine after going 30mph+ for 5 minutes. :sob:

4 Likes

Same 190KV motors (lacroix inventory). Yeah they’re very effective space heaters. Sealed motor cans, kinda to be expected with that much copper. The 140kv version at HV is going to be interesting to test on.

They do seem to hold up okay but if you’re running fw5.1 you have to disable thermal throttling due to a median filtering bug in that version. I ran into that on my first test ride out the other day:

You can see the faults towards the end.

I feel like the physical robustness of these motors makes up for the extra heat they produce. My old ones are absolutely hammered but they still run great- just sound a bit too loud at this point from the bearings being a bit shot.

3 Likes

Yah, me no running temp sensors and also open can SK3 6374 192kV’s. Interested to see if these run hot.

1 Like

Isn’t it better to gear down than to get a lower KV motor? Almost all motors I have seen have lower wattage for the lower KV variants which will put you back to square one.

1 Like

Yes/depends what you are trying to achieve- but those are two very different things, wouldn’t use them interchangeably or even comparatively. Not my intention there regardless-The 140kv board is a different setup entirely and is part of my Stormcore 100D beta testing plans.

1 Like

That’s why I wanted them, love how tanky they are, just didn’t expect heat to be such an issue.
The exact some motor with an open can would be perfect. I’m debating just drilling some holes in mine to “unseal” them. Not sure if it would help much. :crazy_face:

By disabling thermal throttling do you mean raising the temp cutoff start or something else?

3 Likes

I’m not 100% sure it can be outright disabled on vesc firmware (it could on old unity fork) but you can change the beta value to something unattainable pretty easily.

Agreed on the motors. Had the same thought but I don’t think there’s any easy way to modify these.

They are basically identical to the Torqueboards 6380 in terms of stator size. The biggest thing they have going for them is the bigass forward stator-bell bearing. I can confirm over 5k miles on my first set of these though- and generally speaking my motors tend to start to die/cry around the 2-3k miles mark with a couple of exceptions.

2 Likes

You think drilling holes on the side of the bell is a bad idea? Even a little bit of airflow on the stator should help massively I think.

2 Likes

Add 3D printed fans while you’re at it.

1 Like

I think my SK3’s run so cool because they’re open can and have an integrated fan as stock, and at times I’m pushing over 5000W through them, definitely not something they’re rated for.

2 Likes

I want a kaly deck

6 Likes

@tipsy if you end up drilling yours out and want 3D printed nylon fans for the ends let me know.

2 Likes

Yes. Hah. I just feel like the risk/investment here isnt worth it.

2 Likes

perhaps a GB? @DerelictRobot are you in with Ernesto to the point you could persuade him to sell perhaps 5 units to UK?

1 Like

he blanked me when I asked for a deck :rofl:

4 Likes

:joy: Maybe he will do 5 in one go. I am sure we can get to 5 easily.

2 Likes