Kushboard Pico, an even lighter build! | 121c Orbiter | BN 145mms Belt drive | 10s1p P42A | Mach 1s |

After many years of not doing pepakura building. Glad i still some skill left. I just gotta cut, glue and paste with PVA glue. I used cardstock paper for this. Its about 240gsm thickness.

It fits well! Now for a first coat of epoxy to stiffen it up and i can then adjust any off shapes

17 Likes

Absolutely genius.

1 Like

Fiberglass time.
I brushed epoxy on the interior and exterior.
Afterwards, i added shredded fiberglass cloth to the four corners of the enclosure. I will be sanding those corners down a fair bit and rounding it at the end so i made sure to add more material there.

I will let this cure first, and then i can use a heatgun and adjust the shape of the enclosure if need be.

10 Likes

Subbed, love light builds! What do you anticipate the final weight to be?

3 Likes

Not sure, my Nano build is almost identical, just with a bigger battery with 10s2p and a thick 5mm PLA enclosure. This one is a bit over 6 kilos.
I am hoping to get 5.5 kilos with this.

4 Likes

More fiberglass work. As you can see i am working on the interior, the flanges will be worked on later. I got a good amount of layers in today, and it feels like near 3mm in thickness. I will wait for this to harden and i will start the first round of sanding tomorrow, rounding the exterior of the corners as well

9 Likes

This is the first time build makes me want to try building enclosures out of fiberglass, Well done

5 Likes

Are you using a vacuum bag for the process?

2 Likes

Nope, just paper mache style, brush a layer of resin, apply the fiberglass cloth over, dab with a brush till it is saturated.

7 Likes

I went off with the rounding.

I just filled the flanges to thickness so i will do final sanding before the last coat.

I am considering doing something extra by having a lid for the bottom so it is extra water resistant… not sure yet. We will see

10 Likes

Thought about it, too much work for a lid, so scrapping it.

Done with the enclosure! There is a small gap so im gonna hit it with a heat gun and form it to shape while hot.

11 Likes

Buy edpm or some other rubber sheet, trace enclosure, ez sheet for in between. This build deserves it for sure!

4 Likes

Beautiful work! I wish I could do that… And that I had the patience to do that. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Linny.
You are one of a kind and such an artist.

I freaking love you dude!!!

4 Likes

Thank you for the kind words @janpom @rafaelinmissouri
Ill try to finish this build by next week and ride it by then. I am curious as to how the range and feel of the magnum wheels will be

6 Likes

Not sure if this is a good idea but figured ill try.

Instead of threaded inserts, i chose to drill 4mm and then hit the carbon fiber deck with a 5mm tap. Lets see how well carbon fiber can hold its threads. Even if it does fail, no worries, i can put stainless steel inserts

6 Likes

I would not bet on this horse,
a this point, maybe use countersunk bolts and nuts on the underside ?

3 Likes

Ok, playing it safe. Inserts it is.

Also painted the enclosure with bedliner, we’re close!

11 Likes

I hope you appreciate my wire neatness

25 hour epoxy with carbon fiber dust for the insert glue.

Heres a trick to know where to paste your foam gasket on the deck. Put your enclosure down, put bolts in to make it not move, and trace the outside with masking tape. Now you know where to paste!
We have power!

Dude… i am tooting my own horn but i am so glad i went with a custom enclosure for this. Props to my friend Graham for helping modelling it.
Comparison with my current one which was what inspired this build. So in the end i shaved off close to 400g compared to the original.

For reference, old is 10s2p 18650, flipsky 6.7, flipsky 6374 190kv. New is 10s1p P42A, flipsky 6.7, and reacher 6374 190kv.

Belly is also a lot slimmer now since its a single stack.

25 Likes

What do you like to use for the gasket? And how do you make those nice corners with it?

1 Like