Infinity Logger (iLogger) - Micro SD, GPS, WIFI, CAN, UART, Tool App

Hi everyone

Today I’m introducing the Infinity Logger (iLogger).

iLogger is a smart, compact and all-in-one Vesc module that offers a persistent everyday data logging using a built-in micro SD card, and is compatible with most GPS modules. It comes with an iOS/Android tool app and an online API to instantly share ride data.

The iLogger doubles as a receiver for many awesome upcoming projects I’m currently working on, stay tuned for that!

Community suggestions/improvements are going to be implemented periodically by popular demand.

iLogger1 iLogger2

Hardware: Simple yet powerful

iLogger module is powered by ESP32, a dual core 32bit 240Mhz, BLE, Wifi (802.11 b/g/n) and cryptographic hardware acceleration (AES, SHA-2, RSA, ECC)…

Comm protocols: Both UART and CAN :

• Built-in support for both UART and CAN bus communications.

• iLogger can be connected as a node on the Vesc CAN bus, this allows it to work more reliably, and solves the problem of overcrowded UART ports. Vesc independent, it is not tied up to a specific Vesc, and therefore can continue operating even if one of the Vescs has failed. It can communicate with other nodes such as DieBieMS without powering on the Vesc. Battery monitoring is viewed from the app.

• Micro SD card slot, supports storage up to 32GB. An 8GB for example can log around 22,111 hours( 15 years if you ride 4 hours every day), a 32GB can log around 88,444 hours(60 years if you ride 4 hours every day) give or take a couple years depending on how data is going to be structured as time and development progresses.

• 5 pin GPS port that supports most serial GPS modules

• Second digital channel for future use (Stay tuned for some awesome upcoming projects, all of which are compatible with this iLogger).

• External antenna for easy positioning and more gain.

Software and App features:

• Lifetime stats and data logging (Time stamp,Voltage, pcbTemp, motorTemp, speed, duty, current, motor current and GPS Latitude and Longitude data if available), lifetime odometer and more…

• Faults code recording

• Toggle which stats you want to log from the app and supports multiple Vescs detection.

• OTA (Over The Air) updates.

• BLE bridge for Vesc programming (Through the official Vesc app).

• Secure: All communication in and out of the module is encrypted.

iLogger is configured using the Infinity tool app.

Some of the current features:

• Wifi provisioning, set wifi credentials from the app to be applied to the module.

• Automatic recording when moving only (can be turned on and off)

• Automatic and continuous GPS tracking when a module is connected, or optionally through the app.

• Automatic timestamp synchronization when connected to the internet or when a GPS module is connected.

• Fetch, stream, and display chart of any previously recorded ride from within the app.

• Control log frequency (how many samples per seconds)

• Instantly share your ride data online, API https://api.wavrx.com (currently showing a test log)

• Monitor your battery cells (currently supporting DieBieMS)

Online API demo, can be viewed here https://api.wavrx.com
api

Package contains:

1x iLogger module, 1x 7pin cable, 1x external antenna. (Micro sd card not included)

For the sake of testing, first batch is limited to 20x pieces, while the rest will be shipped in subsequent batches, first come first served. The hardware is unlikely to change tho, not many moving parts there. The main objective is to help with software testing and fixing bugs on the iLogger firmware, iOS/Android app, and the online API.

Modules are on sale, available for $55.99 instead of $60.00 at: wavrx.com.

App will be available free of charge.

Tentative timeline:

Modules production starts in about 2 weeks or when first 20 orders are in, whichever is sooner.

Fabrication should take around 1 week. I anticipate between 7-10 days before it reach me due to current pandemic. Once I have the modules in hand it should take me about 1-1.5 weeks to have them flashed, individually tested, packed and ready to be shipped out to you.

Shipping is tracked through USPS from Texas, USA.

If you have any questions or suggestions please let me know!

57 Likes

Hi !
What a piece of work !! Congrats !

Are both HW and FW open or closed source ?

10 Likes

My dream came true! Ordered! :innocent:

So today then :heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Nice project

Looks like metr has a rival

11 Likes

It’s always great to see some competition, it’s definitely healthy. Although Metr has set a very high bar with the very comprehensive set of features that they support

9 Likes

@Pimousse
Thanks a lot! HW is pretty simple, not much going on there . Regarding the software, i’m thinking about open sourcing some aspects of it if not all, but that’s going to be a future plan. Right now i’m focusing on making sure that the firmware, tool app and online API all work in harmony.
@tipsy Thanks a lot for your order and support :blush:

9 Likes

Best thing about competition is it lowers the prices. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Biggest issue with metr is not in the metr, it’s the user (me) forgetting to turn logging on/off. Having it always on at the cost of no GPS tracking is much better, for me at least.

5 Likes

Nicely done

Do you plan to have a GPS module in the future so no phone connection is needed?

4 Likes

Awesome! So cool to see a new appliance enter the sphere. I hope this works as good as it looks!

4 Likes

Texas :partying_face: What part? Do you ride?

6 Likes

@Pedrodemio Thanks, I thought about adding a built-in GPS module, maybe I should start a poll and see if there is enough interest.

@Zach Thanks :+1:

@skate420 Recently moved to Austin, yes I do ride whenever I can :slight_smile:

6 Likes

i’m so confused, who are you nvm asked and answered thanks @skate420

which pins do i use to wire it for can-only logging, so i can keep my esc uart port free for other uses?

how do i wire up power so it can keep on logging from the canbus when one or more esc’s on the bus blow up

is there an input i can use so i can split the ppm signal from my radio receiver, that way ppm logging is independent of esc’s

can you incorporate the u-blox libraries so i can connect a gps module via i2c

please make all my logging dreams come true @WavRX

4 Likes

@sesat To use it as a UART device, you simply connect the cable to any UART port, this takes care of power and everything.

To use CAN, there is a toggle on the app, set the CAN ID to something like 8, then connect CANH and CANL pins. iLogger connects as a node on an already established CAN bus between two Vescs, it is not terminal ended. In the event one Vesc is offline, the module should continue working and communicate with any other device on the bus, assuming it is independently powered up.

When using CAN mode, the module needs 5V, 3.3v and GND pins to power up, therefore you can have it powered from one of the vescs, or if you are extra cautious, you can supply it independently but thats really not that necessary.

I have Duty cycle logging enabled, which I assume is what you are asking about when talking about ppm values?

I was considering adding a built-in GPS but I didn’t know how many people would actually use it, if there is enough demand I can add one with an antenna to stick out.

5 Likes

Please do, if that becomes a reality I will probably get one

5 Likes

Count me in!

4 Likes

Yyaaasssss! USA based.

7 Likes

Alright guys, let there be GPS! I’m going to quickly figure out whats the ideal spot to place those extra ICs using the least space possible. Having a built-in GPS will make it very convenient to continuously log tracked rides, it does also help keeping the timestamp automatically synchronized, so I guess its a double win. I’m going to post an updated hardware design later on today.

17 Likes

After working on this for a bit, I figured that a modular approach for the GPS is the best way to go. That way we can keep the iLogger small, compact and the cost down for those that don’t need a GPS, while having the interface and firmware ready to accept a GPS module.

I added a 5 pin 1mm serial port to accept most GPS modules out there, and can decode NMEA sentences.

iLogger2.1 2 iLogger2.2 2

I also added an option on the tool app to set the warm start time in seconds. Cold start time is usually around 30seconds for the very first time the GPS is powered on, during this time it downloads all the information it needs from the satellites to set the date, time and position in the world. After that, the warm start time should only take around 1 sec to lock even when power cycled.

Returned Latitude and Longitude data is now recorded automatically whenever it is available and if GPS tracking is enabled.

12 Likes

Also metr will work with flexibms!

1 Like