How to route loaded vanguard deck?

I mean this stuff

1 Like

Ohhhh okay, I want to route just because it looks better.

You would, but only 2mm deep instead of 6mm

1 Like

Good point what have you done?

Nothing, use 1/2" braid for batteries now, but it’s definitely an option for routing

I am thinking of getting some for my single drive board though, maybe some 1/4" braid for the phase wires (single enclosure)

1 Like

Ohhhh ok. Would I still need to fiberglass and everything?

Maybe not? Your risk to take though, I would still FG it

If you split the braid so it’s a flat weave you might be able to get away with not doing anything else, but you will have to tin the edges all the way so it doesn’t disintegrate

1 Like

Ok yeah. That would probably be annoying to do. I’ll try and do the normal wires

I did 12AWG silicone wire phase wires and a sensor wire.

My DIY effort was on my Tesseract, which I chopped.
No pics of process but I routed about 5mm deep.
CF skin to bottom of deck and epoxy in wire void and fabric skin to top. Glass frit.

image image image image image image
I’d say do it yourself. Learn. Plenty of info about and support here, if u have questions.

2 Likes

Sounds a little complicated to me… do you have pics?

Plenty of good resources on CF skinning. I learnt from YouTube and search on here and the old forum. Watch these.

Also look on old forum at Whitepony builds. Some awesome stuff.

4 Likes

I did this vanguard flex 2 (I think)(the longer edition that is a little bit stiffer then boosted) without extra enforcement. Had no problems with it and have done over 800km on it.

Same for the trampa deck now:

Only did epoxy on the leds on the underside

1 Like

Ok that looks cool, I’m just scared

I’ll check that out!

got any resources for vac bagging composites?

1 Like

I went with a shallow route with flat braid. Nothing fancy, no extra reinforcement. I should have taken out another mm or so but it will do for now.

1 Like

Hmm[quote=“Meeep, post:36, topic:34555”]
I went with a shallow route with flat braid. Nothing fancy, no extra reinforcement. I should have taken out another mm or so but it will do for now.
[/quote]

Hmm ok, did you tin the entire wire?

I did not, I was/am unaware of the specific issues I may run into doing it my way. Watching your thread carefully :grin:

1 Like

I’m in New Zealand, so my local ones probably aren’t suitable…
I have ordered from Composite Envisions in the US and they have a good range. Expensive to ship to me but good stuff there. :rofl:
I order lots from AliExpress, because it’s cheapish, but mostly because it easy and I have minimal time for actual shopping (work&family etc). What u after? Have found Airtech Stretchlon 200 to be a super good bag film and wish I had a local supply. Not many other recommendations other than that.

1 Like

My local surfboard supply shop stocks what I think are good quality consumables but Im a bit lost on choosing the appropriate hardware such as pump, hose fitting, resin catch etc. Have any particular pieces of equipment you recommend? Much of the gear Ive encountered so far is commercial grade and a bit too expensive for my needs.

1 Like