Forget the grip use Glass Frit

Good explanation. That actually makes a lot of sense. :+1:t3:

1 Like

I’ve heard of sender and others taking about cloth but I’ve never actually seen it. Where can I pick some up? I do a lot of online shipping via amazon (hello free prime shipping) so if it’s there that’s even better.

Ps- in addition to this question, do you happen to know about epoxy and the hardware holes on my deck and how to avoid them being filled/ruined with epoxy?

you absolutely have to plug those holes with tape, wax, etc. Generally that is why we avoid drilling all the way through for the inserts (gives a cleaner look too), but it’s okay that you’ve gone all the way through- you just need to be really careful with the epoxy.

I honestly couldn’t answer any of that. I’ve never even attempted the epoxy part.
I just put stickers on shit lol.

Butyl tape also works.
Sticky as fuck tho so slightly challenging to pull out if the threads of inserts.

2 Likes

Wow I just watched most of this video and that’s quite the process. I love how the guy constantly says “You must have patience” which is very true from the looks of it.

Although I’d love to CF skin my deck, right now just isn’t the best time for this unfortunately.

I guess ill just pass on the CF look and just urethane and frit like I’d had originally planned.

Thanks for the video though, very informative! :fist_left:t3:

The board was a complete from the start that is disassembled and wanted to paint/frit

When you say don’t “over brush” the spar, what does that exactly mean?

I just applied my first coat and I think I brushed it too much. I saw pooling and a lot of white so I brushed it out but may have done too much.

Photos for reference.

1 Like

dude, use epoxy!!!

2 Likes

use a foam brush if you want to see less actual bristle strokes… def shouldnt be any pooling… i do lay it on medium the first few coats but if theres extra spar i soak it back into the foam and balance out the board… i like throwing the board in the sun after each coat if youre doing it during the day… makes it dry real quick and fast… 3 layers min… then when I lay the frit i go a little heavier…use the bristle brush after that… real light layer on the first coat trying to secure the frit… some will move loose…just roll with it… light layer…then once its kinda locked you can worry less…

I picked up a 5 pack bristle brush set. No foam brushed unfortunately. I’m also using the helmsman water based urethane as well

I’m not too worried about the brush stroke marks. More of if I applied it thick enough. It is only my first layer so I’m not too terribly worried tbh.

Ok ok so I need to use a foam brush for the first 3 layers and then a bristle brush to lock in the frit. Gotcha.

1 Like

i mean…once you lay frit you may not even see the prior brush strokes as much anyways…it usually just seems more prominent at the beginning because the board is bare…but thats just my experience and opinion after doing only 3 decks…

I mean I’ve done zero decks, first time so if you see good results with a foam brush first and then a bristle brush after the frit then I’ll pick up a foam brush today/tomorrow.

How long did you let the board dry in between coats?

depends on your ambient temp…first 2 times was late winter and i used the basement, not cold but barely warm… waited like 20min or so between coats… as soon as it was dry (not tacky) i re-applied… if its nice out…sun/UV is like the express lane for me…apply in the shade and drop in the sun, shit dries in 10min or less usually… but then when you start sealing the frit i lay it thicker so that take a bit more wait even with sunlight…

Spar urethane works really well if done properly. Give it a day between each coat give it at least 30 days to harden after the top coat. If not even more time.

It doesn’t last if you don’t give it enough time to properly bond or something weird but I’d say 30 day minimum before riding on it if you want it to last.

That being said I’m not sure how it’d hold up in lots of rain as I try to avoid that.

Also not to sure how she performs with composite materials.

i dont know what the real minimum is but ive been lucky…maybe unfortunate… that its always been a few weeks minimum before EVERYTHING was ready for assembly and to hit the street… but yeah i luckily havent lost most frit i layed and sealed… def 2 week minimum cure time IMO

I have 3 boards I’ve fritted, epoxy is so much faster and easier. I don’t care how long spar has cured, if it gets wet you’ll lose frit. Epoxy is clearer and doesn’t yellow like spar. You can finish a deck in 2 days with epoxy, that’ll take a month with spar.

2 Likes

What type (brand) epoxy do you use?