How to route loaded vanguard deck?

Hey guys,

I’m finishing my build and I’m starting to think how I’m going to route the deck. I’ve seen people who’ve routed but the deck cracks when they step on it. How do I avoid this?

Layer of fiberglass on both sides, make the pocket as shallow and thin as you can, use a ball nosed router bit so there are no sharp inner corners to cause stress fractures, fill the gap with epoxy… possibly do the fiberglass thing last

2 Likes

Fiberglass on the bottom and too of the wires?

Route the deck, epoxy the wires in, make a fiberglass and deck sandwich

1 Like

So route, put the wires in with epoxy, layer of fiberglass, grip tape

No, grip tape is inferior, use patterned fabric and frit after the top layer of fiberglass

Highly suggest using bullets or an XT connector on the wires so you can actually remove the parts from the deck should the need arise

1 Like

Fibreglass the top and the bottom of the deck.

1 Like

Was planning on that :+1:

Grip tape over that though right?

Do I need to add to the bottom? And the whole top? Or just the routed part

Whole bottom, whole top. Only fibreglassing the top ian’t gonna do a great deal in the way of reinforcement. Doing the top and the bottom is a much better option

3 Likes

All you really need is the top layer of FG then you can grip tape it, but the other stuff is better and you’re going through the effort anyways

1 Like

fwiw @sender didnt refiberglass my deck after routing it… not sure what wizardry was done but its still good after 250(ish) miles

2 Likes

Will i lose flex?

Asked him already, only thing keeping me back is the shipping

Do you want to pay a little for shipping or do you want to pay for new deck after you botch it? :man_shrugging:

Not that you cant do it… but should you?

personally im a lazy cunt so my choice was obvious

3 Likes

Haha yeah you’re right. I think I can get the fiberglass, just seems complicated

1 Like

Less complicated each time you do it.
You will lose some flex, but depends on the FG type you use.

1 Like

True true

@maxmayer you can also use flat braided copper so you don’t route as deep

1/2" braid should carry 100A no problem

2 Likes

We have braided 10AWG copper wire. I could do that, how would i enclosure it?