Board of Theseus | 10s4p 30q | Unity | TBDD | Flipsky VX1

I just whipped up a 12s test pack and recorded an unloaded top speed of 35.9 mph on my 75kv TBDD’s.

I really want to whip up a 12s3p Sony VTC5D pack but I feel like I am going to lose too much range compared to my 10s4p Samsung 30q… I’d appreciate some input on the matter :blush: (Trust me I have looked at the calculator for hours…)

1 Like

Well if you went to 10S4P of 5D’s you’d likely lose range, so you’d almost certainly be losing range with 4 less cells. My reasoning being that they’re 10.3Wh vs. the 30Q at 11Wh, tho marginal, still a difference.

Any particular reason for that cell type? Seems something like a 40T 21700 pack in 12S3P would be more range and at ~18mm longer than the 10S4P pack of 30Q should still fit. (I’m assuming you’d have to half stack them)

Alternatively, if you’re just after the amps. Sammy 30T?

*also meant to mention that the VTC5D seemed expensive for what it is which would have steered me away.

1 Like

Even with stagger stacking 21700 cells are a uncomfortably snug fit in the vanguard enclosure. It’s just barely short enough to work.

I’m running the 10s enclosure, not sure if the 12s is deeper :thinking:

1 Like

My choice of VTC5D would be a compensation of the loss of a parallel group from some more amps per cell. I would love to go 21700 but after talking with Alan a bit it seems the vanguard and his enclosure isn’t suited well for those cells. I think @Sn4Pz has a BMS-less 10s3p of Samsung 30Ts IIRC.

I want some more speed. I don’t really mind the range loss but I am also taking efficiency and pack health in mind so when I throw it into the calc and get 14.5 miles I am a bit hesitant for my “conservative” range estimates. I really don’t want to be getting less that 15 miles per charge if I can help it. Obviously, the answer is a 12s4p of VTC5D but that means more time, money, and weight.

Thank you for the Wh per cell figure. Where did you get that? Has Mooch tested them? I really should become a Patreon so I can access his info sooner.

1 Like

If you have ‘fuck it’ money, I think upgrading to the 12s enclosure, along with a 10s4p (12s3p if you really want that voltage :man_shrugging:t2:) of Santo 2070C cells would be the bees knees.

Increased capacity compared to 30q, even comparing the 12s3p setup to your current 10s4p (but only by like 30ish watt hours)

Higher amp output

Better sag performance (?) - I assume that you’re not running these cells at their max amp ratings, and with how highly mooch praised these cells I figure they would have equal or better levels of sag.

Unfortunately moochs thread on the vape forums seems to have poofed, and this was all I could find:

seems like noticeably less capacity at high draw

1 Like

Well yeah, most cells do when they hit the 30a range

Here’s the 30t for comparison :man_shrugging:t2:

I mostly reccomended it because the 2mm saved from a 21700 staggered pack would make a significant difference in how the battery would fit in the enclosure.

1 Like

I get that just don’t think they are good value, 30t has considerably less drop in capacity at 10-30A
it’s as if the 20700c is a 3000mah cell at anything above 5A

1 Like

True, just seemed like one of the better high amp 20700 cells :thinking:

I can’t think of anything other 20700s besides Sanyo and they seem to all be very similar in performance

Wh is just nominal voltage * capacity.

I get the amps, especially with the higher KV motor’s they’re gonna be sustained longer. Maybe a 3D print spacer is in order to give you a little extra room 40T/30T would be my go to here.

Not typing hard enough https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/blog-entry/list-of-battery-tests.7436/

1 Like

Strange. The link from his Facebook page was dead :man_shrugging:t2:

can 11s4p 18650 fit?

1 Like

With some super crafty battery work, yeah for the 12s enclosure. Might not have space for a BMS tho

E aparently a 12s4p 18650 can fit but I’ll believe it when I see it :thinking:

1 Like

With a small BMS I think 11s4p would work. I’ve laid out the cells before and it would be tight but possible.

The next battery in this thing is definitely going to be higher voltage. What cells in what format is still up in the air but I appreciate the discussion. I will update my thread accordingly for sure!

2 Likes

Went for an amazing ride today. A quarter turn looser on the trucks can do wonders for better carving! I love the new Metr autologging feature. I’m trying to get as much data as possible so I can figure out what kind of real world miles I would get with various pack configurations. Leaning toward as 12s3p for many reasons but mainly because I just don’t go farther than 12-15 miles 95% of the time :man_shrugging:

Metr Log

Skate on, social distance, wash your hands, etc, etc. We will get through this!

3 Likes

I did a full teardown, tune-up, and routed the deck for some better aesthetics. I should have taken out a little more material but I can always do that later and I didn’t wanted to compromise the deck. Also rotated the Tb 110’s 78A. Interestingly after ~7 months, I could notice a small difference (maybe 0.5mm- 1mm) in diameter between the front wheels and the drive wheel. Cleaned and lubed all bearings. I also unscrewed my front axels and re-loctited them (I didn’t even realize they were removable :sweat_smile:)

5 Likes

With the imminent release of the Stormcore and the FlexiBMS, I figured I’d again share my thoughts about upgrading my 10s4p battery. Based on my research, I want to move to the Sony/Murata VTC5D cell (or Molicell P28A) due to it’s exceptional capacity and discharge.

I think I am going to try and cram an 11s4p in the eBoosted 10s4p enclosure with a FlexiBMS if possible. No other BMS option would work and I don’t think I am willing to go without balancing nor straight up BMS-less. This would give me the largest power increase without having to switch to Stormcore.

Alternatively, I can go fricken nuts and get a Stormcore 100D and make a 14s3p :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I know it’s kinda sudden but I have been thinking about it… I am considering throwing the board up for sale. I live in a non-bike/eskate friendly place near Asheville so I could use the money better for a new car. I can make a separate post about that but my car is totaled. Shred on, I love this community.

2 Likes

Hey everyone, it’s been a long time without much posting. I’m still rocking the board as described. I haven’t done anything to it besides maintenance. I wanted to reach out to anyone who might have an idea of what’s going on in my build currently. I’ve noticed a few things that may help explain what’s going on.

The issue is that my board is losing power and sometimes braking capability.

1. METR reports an overvoltage fault when the incident occurs (keep in mind the battery is 42V max charge).
  2. The board would sometimes lose power over bumpy terrain and then power would return.
  3. If I tighten the battery enclosure down, the reported voltage would drop down to near 0. Motors would barely turn if I engage throttle.

My initial thought is that some wiring may have become exposed after all these years and something is shorting. I’d appreciate any feedback or ideas. Hopefully, I’ll be able to diagnose the issue and fix it once I have access to my tools again.

1 Like

Maybe some xt plugs are broken or a plug came lose and you havent noticed it. Sometimes if hub motors or dd are hit hard bumbs they seem to cut off for a second. Have had this phenomenon one time, but dont know if them motors did the short cut off or maybe something different happened inside the board.
I would check all plugs first. Maybe the battery is damaged bc of a lose connection.

1 Like