Ground Control | Stooge Gear | 40.5 Jet Killshot | Dual 6380 | 13s4p/6p 40T | Unity

Build thread for my baby, Ground Control, a race board

Backstory/How This Happened

Backstory/How this Happened: P.S. This is LONG

I finished this build at 2:57pm, Sunday May 18th, 2020. This is my baby, the first part came 4 months ago, although it was by surprise.

The actual idea of building another board, a race board to be exact, happened after the first SoCal Outlaw race, September 22nd, 2019. @MoeStooge graciously let me ride one of his race boards. It was on a redember 44 deck and was setup for a 200lb rider :rofl: The second I pulled the trigger I had felt nothing like it before. The power on Moe’s board is unmatched, Moe had warned me about it being powerful but this was something else. I edged around the track at a speedy 5-10mph due to me trying not to get thrown off the board. After that experience I texted Moe a week later asking about his race wheels, and when his next batch was planning on starting. That same day I asked if he could add me to the 3links waiting list. Mind you this is just after he started selling them publicly. Not exactly sure but I think I was in one of the first 2 or 3 batches of trucks he made. Anyways back to the story. Within the next week I had asked Moe countless questions regarding inrunners, Mamba Xlx’s, and his godly open gear drive. A couple weeks went by, and he started to develop his widened pneumatics. Starting with the six shooters and evolving into what we have today. Once a week or so I would bump Moe on what the progress was with 3links and widened wheels along with checking how my parts list worked.

Skip ahead to late December, just a couple days before Christmas. Something thin and long shows up in the mail addressed to me. I cut it open and right in front of me is the deck I was about to hit “Order” on! @FourteeOZ, My secret Santa, had sent me a Jet Killshot 40.5. I was amazed and so very grateful for it! Skip ahead to after Christmas and I was #4 on the list for 3links! The #3 spot was on the fence, and I was next in line for them! On the last day the person decided to buy the 3links, which bumped me into the next round. Moe had good news though and that was because he was making axles for the next round already! I was top of the list and guaranteed a spot in the next round!

Skipping ahead to March 2nd 2020 I was in contact with Moe and I pulled the trigger and had some Metro Hubs, tires, and mod1.5 gears sent to him to get “stoogified” This was about 1 1/2 months after a Moe had started testing his personal Metro wheels.

I’ve been talking a lot about Moe, so let’s cut to some other stuff and get back to that! Backing up to January 29th 2020 (Damn these dates are getting confusing) After talking on and off with @Sender Tim who has been crazy helpful and put up with all my questions (Although I probably annoy the heck outta him), I carved out some of my budget for my board to get “sexified” aka senderized.
After around a month of picking fabrics, changing ideas, and re picking fabrics it was late February. Tim put my deck in the que and then everything went downhill… Covid lockdowns in the US started and everything. Tim handled it all well and got my deck finished super fast still.

March 23rd came around and Tim started to glass frit my deck while Moe had finished up my trucks and wheels and shipped them out that day. April 6th rolls around and Tim is getting my deck ready when he pulls a fast one and dips to Mexico… Then he woke up and got reminded that the borders closed :crazy_face: He shipped my deck out with a mounted enclosure and Akhulut plates! It all arrived safe and sound and looking freaking amazing! Honestly Tim, I don’t know how you do it!

Splitting off again this time without exact dates (don’t worry :crazy_face: ) I took part in the QB group buy hosted by @klaus79856. Everyone’s cells came in and arrived to them… Except mine. Mine were shipped to @Jansen, the SoCal cell distributor in the group buy. Took MONTHS to get a date right, but finally everything lined up. Jansen was heading down to SD to do crazy speed stuff with Mike and Lei @370HSSV grabbed my cells from him for me. @BluPenguin Meng , the new resident SoCal Battery builder god grabbed my cells from Lei and started work on my pack. Couple weeks later with a few minor hiccups and here we are… Okay now that you read that whole thing time to get into what you want to here…

Oh and P.S. Special thanks to @Arzamenable for A. Hooking me up with a GT2B :pray: which is running on this board and B. For reminding me not to be a complete idiot while riding. Also special thanks to @ahrav resident “Unity Button Dude” who hooked me up with a Unity button when mine came without one. And if anyone one is wondering, me and Jansen are chill now :crazy_face: He’s been helping me out :grin: Thank YOU @KOOK for making me not mess up my hubs!!!

Spec Time!

Top Speed: 57.8mph
Range: 30-35 Cruising ESTIMATED 20-25 Pushing hard (This is with full batt setup)
Battery: Internal 13s4p 40T with optional AUX 13s2p 40T Parallel pack
Amps: 120/180a
Gear Ratio: 24/58
Drive system: @MoeStooge Open Gear Drive
Tires: Metro 155mm’s
VESC: Focbox Unity (For Now)
Telemetry: Metr Pro

Parts list

Deck: @Sender Jet Killshot 40.5
Trucks: @MoeStooge 3links
Wheels: @MoeStooge Stretched Metrohubs
Drive System: @MoeStooge Open Gear Drive
Motors: 2x @torqueboards 6380 170kv
VESC: Focbox Unity (@Arch 100D Later)
Battery: @BluPenguin 13s4p/6p 40T
Enclosure: @BigBen Killshot Enclosure
Remote: @Arzamenable Modded GT2B
Button: @ahrav Unity Button
External Batt CAD: @yelnats8j
Telemetry: @rpasichnyk @hexakopter Metr Pro
Name: @MoeStooge Suggested build name

Mid Building Pics!

Mid Building Pics and First ride ever video :smiley: :

End of Motor shaft after hacksawing

Soldering MR60’s

Electronics all in!

Accidental heart shaped sensor wiring

And She is Ready!!!

(PM me if you would like the first ride video!)

Thank you so much to everyone who helped me with this board and made it a dream come true! Thank you for answering all my questions and tolerating my stupidity! Thank you so so much again :pray: I hope to meet more of you fellow Socalians and join more group rides! Thank you for reading and helping :smiley: See you on the streets! :call_me_hand:t3:

Peace :v:t2: see y’all in the morning!

97 Likes

One of the sickest boards :crazy_face:

6 Likes

Thank you man :pray: Means a lot, honestly.

2 Likes

back with honest comments later… but really…

“does Dad have a putting green in the backyard?”

6 Likes

Well worth the long awaited wait lol. Looks great! Now go set some records.

2 Likes

Nice work! It’s evident you really did your research and put allot of time and effort into this board!

5 Likes

This dude worked his ass off for this board too. So bravo for being such a young dude making things happen

6 Likes

Good night major tom, coherent AF build :ok_hand:.

6 Likes

goddamn. Knocking on wood, but this build is straight :fire: :fire:. Definitely gonna be my vote for best build

5 Likes

@DEEIF Wow :star_struck: super sweet build those rims and tires @MoeStooge :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Groundbreaking build man :wink: really like the writeup aswell. I really wanna try a stooge raceboard now :rofl: How did you get the graphic for the sender job?

3 Likes

Awesome job on the board and the thread, Dash. Like Jujo said, a definite contender!

7 Likes

:kissing_heart:

1 Like

The part selection in this build is just perfect! Would love to see some more pictures of that drive-train :slight_smile:

I’m a bit surprised by the battery size; I’m guessing due to your weight you don’t get as much sag? Well, you mentioned the auxiliary pack, so I’m guessing that’s what you’ll use for race day :wink:

3 Likes

19 posts were merged into an existing topic: Derail Jail 2020_May

Can you elaborate on how the hubs are stretched and what wheel pulley and bearings are used? Excellent build!

5 Likes

I don’t think it has pulleys at all.

@DEEIF do you have a photo of the bottom showing the drive train?

3 Likes

Really glad to see @DEEIF pull off this solid build. Rad :checkered_flag: Happy riding.

14 Likes

Wow Dash, that looks sublime! :heart_eyes: You just put serious pressure on literally everyone’s future builds including mine :sob:

I want to know more about the wheels, how do you widen them and what hubs?
Cheers bro!

7 Likes

Thank you so much for all the nice words :pray: Time for QnA time :crazy_face:

Ahahaha, no its this mix between fake and real grass. Not sure exactly what its called!

Thanks Kade! Your board is sick!

Thanks Mike! Hopefully it will get a chance to fly on a group ride soon!

Thanks! I’m in love with the wheels :heart_eyes: So grippy yet so nimble.

Thank you juju! Means a lot! Honestly!

Stooge boards are next level man. The graphic came from one Tim happened to have on hand. I think I swapped graphics on him like 2-3 times (Sorry Tim)

Ill Post some later today! Sag shouldn’t be too bad, maybe when it gets into the low 40’s it’ll sag. But yes, the AUX pack is for race days!

Nope, I just don’t fully trust the Unity on 13s. I would love it if I could pop in a Stormcore 100D since then I wouldn’t have to worry at all! God I have told this funding story a lot haha. I used to run errands for the elderly people in my town, for example groceries, picking up cakes etc etc. That over 4-5 months really racks up, especially since my Evo was running strong and didn’t need any repairs, well until two weeks ago lol.

A whole damn world different. Like I do not know the black magic @MoeStooge did to get them to where they are but they are amazing. I’m going to have a very hard time going back to regular trucks. These are just incredible and make up for everything “wrong/tricky” about regular trucks.

Its got a Metr Pro. I have a DavegaX but I put it on my evo because these trucks have ride height adjustment. If I cut a hole in the deck like where a DGAX goes then it takes away from the adjustability. Like I can physically lower and heighten my ground clearance from the truck itself.

I believe Moe uses an 11/16th spacer that he makes and puts it in between the two half of the hub. Ill try and find a picture later! Not too sure on bearings, Moe would have to tell you that, but I believe it’s the stock MetroBoard bearings that come with the wheels.

I will grab one for you guys later today!

Thank you Moe! I will definitely try and make it to more races this year! Well and not snap a belt halfway through :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thank you!! Ive still got some tricks up my sleeve coming still, but that’s at least 5-6 months away… :shushing_face:

This is all Moe. He adds a custom 11/16th metal spacer in between the hubs. These are metroboard hubs by the way.

Actually 25min haha. Welp here yee go people!

13 Likes