Granda Plata 43" deck -- first batch

I finished the concave. Here are the printed parts. I needed a cutout for the front part because of the freeboard binding.

Gripped.

I’m not too proud on how I trimmed the grip on this one but it’s not terrible either.

A little bit of double sided tape. This is my plan A. Should it not hold on well enough my plan B is to use the mounting holes (which I’m sure my deck won’t appreciate).

Aaaand… the glamour pictures:

I went for a quick test ride and I like it a lot. Will report back after doing more riding but I feel very positive about this change. If weather allows, I’ll take it for a T-race this and see if I can improve upon my world record. That’s right, I’m currently the T-race world record holder. :blush:

21 Likes

looks awesome!

1 Like

Quick update after my usual 10 km commute from the office. The printed concave makes the deck so much better. I definitely recommend that you guys try it out. @glyphiks @philo @michondr

Edit: The STL file is above. Let me know if you need any adjustments to it. I’m also happy to print it for you if you don’t have access to a 3D printer.

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing that file Jan!

I love the idea that this platform can be customised like this and people could have an option to choose a concave profile that suits them.

The concave pads could also be used as a way to route wires from a central box. I’m tinkering with the idea of running a central top box holding ESCs so that i can fit a bigger battery in underneath while staying single stack.

Although this was never the original intention of the deck, i think its great that such options exist!

10 Likes

Trucks always seem to need to be going up and out…

See: the loom or whatever its called that @NullBlox has on his site. The deck im building on now is mostly, but not entirely, flat. The last deck was a soup bowl. Both have their advantages, but less concave is a hell of a lot easier to make up for. Esk8 might be the only place a flat bottom truly is superior.

1 Like

I like the idea of having a deck wit no concave on which 3d plastic pads with concave can be placed.

This allow for the rider to pick the amount of concave that works best for them. Also opens possibility of asymmetric concave - different for each foot.

7 Likes

I dont have a great name for the Lumes yet.
I wanted to call it the Spine-Line since it reminds me of a spine when 2 pcs are set next to one another.
(Then again spine-line… is that lame… idk…)

As of now its called the E-Lume and well, it works very well imo. I have broken one so far.
I believe my riding is asking for that, considering the board flips down gaps etc on accident when trying to land.

This has pros and cons, the less concave the more flex you have.
This is based on standard layups. Now you can add more layers of wood or carbon fiber etc.
Then your deck is thicker and maybe even weights more.
I think all decks should have some concave just to help things maintain rigidity and sturdiness to a degree. I do not think you are wrong but need to consider that concave is there for more than just your feet. It can create a different snap/pop etc on the deck and this depends on how deep and where you place the concave.

4 Likes

So I kind of finished my board today.

Grand Plata 43" Deck
@eBoosted Red Ember 44 DS Enclosure (the only enclosure big enough for lipos :wink: )thx @janpom Fits pretty well on this Deck. I use the gaps for routing the motor cable and for air flow :smiley: I slightly pushed the Enclosure more to the front so the gap in the front are pretty small and in the back they are big enough for the motor cables. I will provide some detail picture as soon have cut the holes for loop key and charging in the enclosure. At the moment these cable just stick out of the side.
@MoeStooge 3-Link Trucks and 67/11 Gear
Trampa Super Stars with 3d printed hub widenings and Urban threads
2 x Flier Car esc 400A 3s - 16s
2 x 4S 16000 30C Lipos → 8S
GTB2 Remote Wolf Case Mod
2 x FS-GR3E receiver
2 x 8S BEC
@SimosMCmuffin Flexi BMS charge only

Is someone is interested in more details about esc setup you can find it here 🏁 SRB Esc Approach 🏁 - #161 by philo

15 Likes

11 Likes

On the weekend, I tested the new footpads in the T-Race. They don’t help much in heel side turns. The binding alone provides enough support.

Toe side is a different story though because you can’t lean on the binding that much. The pads make it easier for your toes to push into the board and the concave makes you more stable. I improved my best toe side lap from 16.12s to 15.68s.

Also, before, my heel side laps were consistently better than toe side. Now it’s pretty much even and I feel that with more practicing, I’ll be making even better toe side laps.

Though the pads don’t have a huge impact on times, I really like them. They give me more confidence and they keep my feet in place so I don’t need to constantly readjust my stance.

Best times from yesterday’s sessions:

Best toe side session:

Former best toe side session:

And a vid:

11 Likes

Some pictures from the organizers of the MotoSkate race:

There’s also a video on FB:

https://fb.watch/8YHd-LkNJC/

13 Likes

Dude that board looks sick bro :sunglasses: :call_me_hand:
Are you running TKP?

2 Likes

Thanks! Yes, 177mm SR TKP with some hacks to the motor mount to fit dual 6385 motors:

4 Likes

Is that a DKP direct drive at the first place?:astonished:
Interesting

5 Likes

This is the JetSurf stock board. He didn’t race on that one. He had a modified version with a 4WD. He still wasn’t faster on the track. I and David (3rd place) had pneumatic wheels and that gave us an edge in the corners. (JetSurf has airless rubber wheels, which have a much better traction than polyurethane, but are still inferior to pneumatic wheels.)

The problem was that Jan’s board (he’s also Jan) started like a rocket and we all took off pretty much side to side. He almost always got ahead of us at the start and then it was extremely difficult to overtake. The board advantage wasn’t that significant. Also, Jan is an excellent rider, much better than I am, and his skills compensated for a lot of what his board lacked.

This first final round is a good example of how difficult it was to overtake:

Starting from the 3rd lap I was at Jan’s back and clearly faster but I just wasn’t able to get ahead of him for a long time. Then at last I overtook him at the finish line but that was only because he didn’t charge his battery enough before this heat and started loosing power. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

im stoked with this thread just found it on the forum :slight_smile: Stupid question
whats NFAA??

is this the double stack enclosure?
wanna do a raceboard build too and im collecting parts right now :slight_smile:
The Lipos are 45mm in height so i think they wnt fit the single Stack enclosure
KR and thx

where you got those x brackets?

https://shop.davega.eu/?product=davega-x-bracket

It’s just a joke. The temporary name for the deck was MBNEF meaning Mostly But Not Entirely Flat deck.

NFAA is probably Not Flat At All deck. :slight_smile:

Yeah, you would be missing about 10mm with the single stack enclosure. You can probably still make it work with a really thick gasket but it’s not ideal.

Philo’s enclosure is this one:

2 Likes