🏁 SRB Esc Approach 🏁

So i adjusted the lash of the gear ( thx @MoeStooge ) and now it seems to be better. I comparison to my helical gear drives it is still damn loud :sweat_smile: I still need to play around with the settings of the flier esc and also still waiting for my 8s lipo. This test I did with a 10s4p li-ion with max 120 amp.

BTW. How can I adjust the bushings of the truck? They are really set to very soft. I checked all adjustment video tutorial but I couldn’t find this information.

FYI Videos seems to work only on smartphones.

1 Like

6 Likes

So i played around with the setting in the flier esc. The settings for throttle (logarithmic, linear or exponential) didn’t change anything at least not at bench testing. The startup power setting made a huge difference. It now on 25% and Motor Start on really smooth. I still waiting for my battery and my BEC to power the receivers. After installing BEC I can do my first test ride.

6 Likes

Sounds really promising. Curious about the programming. Are you using a PC. Are the throttle and brake curves adjustable?

It comes with a USB programming cable for PC. For throttle you can just select between Logarithmical, Linear and Exponential and between Soft, medium and hard. For braking you can select ABS braking 0%,10%,25%,50%,75% and 100%. I hope i can test these settings this weekend when i do my first test ride.

PS: This is the link to the manual http://www.fliermodel.com/Data/fliermodel/upload/file/20181214/manual%20esc%20for%20car%20v30-2.pdf

3 Likes

So i kind of finished my board today and did my first test ride with start up power 25%, abs 10% and linear throttle soft. 25% startup power was way to low couldn’t start without pushing my board hard or going downhill. With 100% it is hard to stay on the board at start up. 75% worked pretty good still need to push my board a little bit but then it goes pretty smooth. ABS brake on 10% work but stuttering brake is not really something you want on a e board. So i set it to 100% then it seem it just brakes without stuttering. So overall start and braking is something i need to get used to it. But once you have some speed, acceleration is nice and smooth. Tomorrow i will try the 2 acceleration modes and try to go a little bit faster then maybe 40kph.

Setup:
@janpom Grand Plata 43" Deck Granda Plata 43" deck -- first batch
@eBoosted Red Ember 44 DS Enclosure (the only enclosure big enough for lipos :wink: )
@MoeStooge 3-Link Trucks and 67/11 Gear
Trampa Super Stars with printed hub widenings and Urban threads
2 x Flier Car esc 400A 3s - 16s
2 x 4S 16000 30C Lipos β†’ 8S
GTB2 Remote Wolf Case Mod
2 x FS-GR3E receiver
2 x 8S BEC
@SimosMCmuffin Flexi BMS charge only

11 Likes

Super Cool. Looking forward to updates and reports on the Flier ESC.

3 Likes

This is a codec issue (.mov). Change the coded your iphone records in and everyone is able to see it (even on non apple devices)

1 Like

It seems there could be a big issue with the flier esc and reversing motor rotation. There are no settings in the esc to change rotation direction of the motor. So you have to switch motor phases. But the motor with the switch phases (phases C-B-A) has less power then other motor (phases A-B-C). I double checked it by going in reverse and then the motor with switched phases has then full power in reverse. I checked in the RC Flier ESC group for a solution and the only thing came up is switching the phases back and reverse throttle on the remote. This works for rc cars cause they have only one motor but not for my build with 2 motors :frowning: I already wrote to flier and asked for a firmware with a reverse motor option. They have this feature for the air escs… Since I have a receiver for each esc. Is there maybe a way reverse throttle on the receiver ? (EDIT: Maybe I found a solution. It’s a smale device which is used to revert the signal between receiver and rc servos. I see no reason why it shouldn’t also work between receiver and ecs. Anyway i orderd one and will check it out) BTW the difference of power between the motors is also noticeable while braking.

3 Likes

With the mamba we swap phases and motor power stays the same. There is a programming motor reverse option that works as well. Either way does not have a power loss effect. The only thing that makes sense to me for the power difference you are experiencing by swapping phases would be motor timing. My experience with the 5694 800kv SSS has been they are all at 0 timing and make the same power both directions. Possible one motor is faulty. Do a phase to phase cross Ohm check and see they are all equal and carry the same resistance as the other motor. Would also swap Esc from right to left and see if the problem follows the esc.
May be someone with a higher pay grade could elaborate what is happening when you swap phases and experience power loss.

5 Likes

I found a better desciption of the problem in the flier esc group and @MoeStooge you are right it has nothing to do with power it’s more a throttle signal issue. Seems i need to do more testing.

4 Likes

Short update. Got this answer in the Flier group about the throttle problem.

I changed this settings in both esc to 2.0 ms and at least at the bench test it looks like that both side runs with the same speed now. I hope it will not rain tomorrow so I can do a test on the street.

5 Likes

Guys i need your help advise!! :grimacing:
Im thinking of building a raceboard with mambas, 5694 inrunners amd moes 3 link trucks and new racewheels.
Now the question is what deck to chose. Im thinking of one of these two:
Landyachtz evo 40β€œ
Subsonic century 40β€œ

Which one you would go for??

Offcourse if you have better choises im open for any suggestions.

Thx for the input!!!

4 Likes

Neither. Wedged / de-wedged boards really limit your standing space for the length they are. Red Ember would be my choice as it is designed for everything you want to use.

7 Likes

I’ll follow that up with Yes. Red Ember (David Bonde) North Camp. :checkered_flag:

8 Likes

Ok i thought the wedged shape will help to get a more secure stand on the board.

I find it to be the opposite effect, double drop with pockets and a W concave for the win

6 Likes

I had an Evo 40 with 3links and it was a blast. But the foot stance is narrow and really not right for a Esk8 set up. I will agree with the two gentlemen suggesting Red Ember.

5 Likes

The 43" Granda Plata might be another good option:

3 Likes

Where can i get one?