Good Deals Thread

I typed out a whole reply NOT suggesting this and just stating that I have one board doing exactly this as an empirical data point but thought someone would flip out about suggesting something so uncouth.

So yes, me. I had to use a longer grub screw and loctited it and the shaft but it was on there for 2 years and never slipped.

Not advice, just my experience.

2 Likes

In my experience, and my research, retaining compound is far superior to set screws anyway. That chemical bond, once full cured, takes ridiculous loads without moving. If you have enough surface area, I think it’s more than fine.

2 Likes

Yep, I drove around for month with the only thing holding the motor pulley was green loctite. You also need a blowtorch to get the pulley off again.

2 Likes

titus.de has 20% off of everything

code: XXLMAS

3 Likes

Maybe I should ask this elsewhere, but I bought one of the Flipsky motors above and was planning on using this pulley I found HTD 5M Type 18 Teeth 18T Timing Pulley D Hole Synchronous Wheel 5x4.5/6x5/8x7/8x7.5/10x9mm D Bore Transmission Pulley|Pulleys| - AliExpress . I’m planning on using 80mm wheels so the gearing should work out alright I think. Is using aluminum for the pulley really bad since the shaft is steel though? I know I see aluminum pulleys around, but IDK if that is a no-no I didn’t know about.

2 Likes

Aluminum motor pulleys work, they just wear faster

16/36 on 80mm is great gearing for hills/acceleration, 18/36 isn’t bad just a bit slower acceleration

2 Likes

Did you get the 190Kv or 140kv motors? At 190Kv yeah 18/36 is quite high speed and low acceleration, but at 140 it’s a bit far in the opposite direction. It’ll feel great and be more efficient it just won’t go to super high speeds

That D shaft has a few different size variations, maybe someone with the flipsky ones can confirm which profile to order. The page seems to specify D1xD2 as the size, with D1,2 measured like this

Looks like a good find if the profile is right, haven’t seen D shaft ones anywhere

4 Likes

My aluminum pulleys lasted a little over 2 years and I suspect taking it to the skate park and skipping belts a lot did the most damage.

3 Likes

I got a 190 kV one. Maybe my thinking was off as I don’t have much experience, but I was under the impression that 16/36 worked pretty well with 90mm wheels or even a bit larger, and once you account for the wheel 18/36 on 80 mm should be the same as 16/36 on 90 mm. Also, I am in Florida so climbing serious hills isn’t much of a concern. I was actually mainly concerned about mixed metal corrosion as I’ve had that be an issue with other things and corrosion is quite bad around me since I’m quite close to the water. Maybe I should try to find a 38 tooth for the wheel to bring the ratio back a bit closer to 16/36. I’ll probably just test what I got and go from there though. Also, I did see the flat dimension and was a bit concerned about that, but hopefully it’s fairly standard.

1 Like

Actually you got me searching more and I think “D2” on the Flipsky motor is 8.5mm so it won’t be quite right. I had looked at the diagrams before, but hadn’t noticed the 8.5 in this one.

On the right that 8.5 appears to be the “D2”. We’ll see how that works out, but I guess I’ll probably order one of the Flipsky 15 tooth ones so I have something that for sure works.

I hadn’t thought of this before but it seems that for the corrosion between steel and aluminium to be substantial you need a highly conductive wet environment: ie submerged in salt water. That, and the reaction generally only weakens the aluminium surface, doesn’t seem to hurt the steel (much easier to replace a wonky pulley than a motor shaft). I think it’s very very unlikely to be a problem before ordinary wear on the aluminium takes it out of service

Oh yeah I hadn’t caught that either. It also looks like flipsky’s D2 is 3.2mm as opposed to 7mm or 7.5mm. What battery are you using? For what it’s worth on 10S the 15T Flipsky pulley with 36T motor is pretty much the gearing I’d pick anyway to be honest, theoretically max speed of 43km/h with a loaded speed around 39. I do tend to prefer low speed high torque though, if it’s 12S add 20% to those speed values

1 Like

I may end up using a random crappy 7s2p pack I have for a bit, but long term the plan is 10s2p. It’s just going to be a single motor short board for getting around within a few miles of my house. It will get quite a bit of use though as work, most of my friends, and my favorite bar are within a few miles of home.

1 Like

Yeah for a single motor you’re definitely gonna want to gear low, otherwise it’ll feel like it’s crawling getting up to speed and won’t be able to handle hills. Unless you’re very light, or you get a huge motor and run 100A through it

1 Like
2 Likes

Hope I haven’t posted this already but I ordered a bunch of these for sensor connections

€0.80 for a male-female pair, shipped from the EU, still a little slow to arrive for me (3 weeks but I blame the global Christmas/covid/broken system, and the fact I’m on an island that’s got the brits sitting between us and real EU), seem to be much higher quality that I expected. There seems to be a good bit of machining going on, not just die cast out of whatever scraps they had, decent surface finish

3 Likes

guess what time it is? angry email to banggood about not including a round shaft as their description says!

10 Likes

I mean realistically that doesn’t matter, no? :smiley:

1 Like

i mean, not too much. I’d rather use a 14t motor pulley instead of the 15t flipsky pulley, but if I can get 50 dollar motors for even less I cant refrain from trying.

also it’s banggood, i see no ethical issue :smiley:

2 Likes

why would a 14t pully not fit though? :thinking:

1 Like

14t d shaft pulleys dont exist for this shape shaft. the only pulley that fits is the one flipsky makes, which is 15t