Gettin' another build together: 16s8p | New MTB deck and other fun toys

Well, while I wait for various parts to come in from all corners of the globe, I’m going to get started on a build thread for my new whip, and make a custom MTB deck to tie it all together. Here’s the parts list.

Battery: 16s8p 40T tomiboi custom
Motors: Flipsky Battle-hardened 63100s 190kv
ESC: 2x Flipsky VESC 7550 w/ 300A anit-spark (Ended up getting a non-incendiary version of the Ubox)
ESC box and heatsink: tomiboi custom
Drive: Moon helical gear-drives (4.4:1)
Trucks: Luna 360s with 15 degree baseplates
Wheels: Clever 8" tires with Moon-rims :crossed_fingers: (Ended up getting Xcell wide alloy rims with 165mmx62mm tires)
Remote: FreeSk8 OSRR Prince Albert (Extra-special left-handed version)
Telemetry: DavegaX
Deck + enclosure: Tomiboi custom shit

Ok, now more about that custom shit. I’ve been designing this one on the down-low. I’m really excited about it. I’ve been riding mostly MTB decks lately and this one checks off all of my boxes for a MTB g-ride. I wanted… nay, needed a deck that was both very stiff and pleasantly flexible all at the same time while also being thin and light (easy money). Also, I don’t ride backwards so a directional deck with a 35/25ish nose/tail angle would be optimal. You can always use angle risers to adjust nose/tail angle, but there are advantages to building it into the deck.

Now, I didn’t just use a shallower angle in the back, I gave it a mini-drop as well. The purpose behind this was to both stiffen the bend and therefor tail (which I prefer) and reduce the distance between the bend and the trucks, while keeping the front and back trucks level… or, at least, that’s the goal. I’m also going to add three truck positions for fine-tuning the angle of attack.

One last trick I did with the contour was make the deck w-concaved. This adds a built in arch support, but, additionally, in my experience, this is a great way to make a thin deck stiff.

The basic dimensions are 41.5" x 10.6" with a 30" foot-bed. That’s it for the shape and contour. Now for the construction. This one will be made from bamboo, carbon-fiber and fiber-glass. The core material will be bamboo, 7- layers (6 long-grain + 1 cross-cut). Along the bottom I’m going to do a really thick carbon-fiber lay-up. This will stiffen the deck right up, make it super strong, and everyone gets a hard-on for CF, so why not? It does look pretty cool. After that, I’m going to sheave the entire deck with fiberglass, to further strengthen and protect it. Plus, CF under a nice layer of fiber-glass looks really 3D.

That’s that pretty much… I think. I already made the mold. The deck is pressing at the moment. I’ll have more soon. :taco:

39 Likes

Dude I’m so excited to see this :star_struck:
Watching

5 Likes

Dude you’re pressing your own fucking deck that is WHATSUP

FOLLOWING, CHEERS

4 Likes

That’s what I do. This is going to be a fun one. I’m excited about it.

4 Likes

Great sounding build. Top mounted or bottom mounted enclosure?

Lol been there

3 Likes

This is gonna be nice!!! I’ll be excited to watch the progress of this one.

2 Likes

Bottom mounted. I have a thermoformed, kydex enclosure that I made for another deck-design that fits this one too.

4 Likes

13 Likes

The press went pretty well and I managed not to mess it up on the CNC machine. She’s just about ready for lay-up.

20 Likes

that’s beautiful :star_struck: great job

5 Likes

I was able to apply the carbon-fiber and started the fiber-glass.

Also, Some toys came in from Flipsky. I’ve had my ups and downs with Flipsky, but I’m excited to test these out. I’ve had luck with their battle-hardened motors, but I’ve had very limited luck with their ESCs. These look a little better made that some others that I’ve purchased. Hopefully all will go well.

14 Likes

Damn that’s a clean lay :soap:

4 Likes

SMALL BATCH? :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile: :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

If this one works out, it should be on my website by time the holidays roll around.

3 Likes

Can’t wait, will be keeping my eye out for that!

1 Like

This is so hot bro :fire: :drooling_face:

6 Likes

Thanks my man! It’s not even done. I’m going over it with a layer of fiberglass and then some new super-clear finishing epoxy that I just bought. The cf should look super 3D when I’m done.

2 Likes

50A VESCs on a 280A Battery with 63100 motors? :worried:

2 Likes

The pickings are little slim when it comes to 16s ESCs right now, but these should still work If I did my maths right. The burst current is rated at 160A.

2 Likes

That is gorgeous, can’t wait to see the finished build

3 Likes